Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is just BS. We paid for the air ride & lowering for great handling. If I had know that this could happen I would have saved the money and got spring suspension. But our salesman was like " with the air lowering feature the car will handle better than you Mercedes S550 and will look cool too" which it did. But now it handles like ****. I wrote to ownership that I want my money or my ride back!!!

I haven't had the chance to drive at high speed after the update. Does the car handle a lot worse now?

This is just BS. We paid for the air ride & lowering for great handling. If I had know that this could happen I would have saved the money and got spring suspension. But our salesman was like " with the air lowering feature the car will handle better than you Mercedes S550 and will look cool too" which it did. But now it handles like ****. I wrote to ownership that I want my money or my ride back!!!

Warren,

Relax a bit. If you follow this and other threads you'll see that its possible that this is merely a programming error.

Larry

If we have 2 more Tesla fires from road debris after this "fix", will they then disable standard height and force us to drive in high? mostly just being snarky here as I think Tesla is in the 'do something to make it look like we're doing something" mode, but I would certainly like to see a little better science that this is going to be a beneficial change before it is made permanent. And like so many others here, there should be an override, similar to the traction control override, that says "I accept that allowing the lowest setting may increase my risk of vehicle damage due to unexpected large road debris."

the tesla now lowers itself at 100 mph to make itself more aerodynamic. at 100 mph nobody will drive that fast unless they can see quite a ways in front of them, if theres any debris on the road you should have time to maneuver around road kill or road junk. the technology on the tesla is unbelievable, any other car company would have had to wait for a model change to fix this. the tesla gets better by the month. the car world has changed, miracles do happen.

the tesla now lowers itself at 100 mph to make itself more aerodynamic. at 100 mph nobody will drive that fast unless they can see quite a ways in front of them, if theres any debris on the road you should have time to maneuver around road kill or road junk. the technology on the tesla is unbelievable, any other car company would have had to wait for a model change to fix this. the tesla gets better by the month. the car world has changed, miracles do happen.

i.chzbgr.jpg

Assuming this is an intentional change, I am ecstatic that Tesla has done this. Another debris-strike-fire would likely be devastating to the company right now, turning the Model S into a modern-day Pinto in the public perception. It could set the adoption of EVs back years, if not decades.

Keeping all of our cars at the standard setting will reduce the likelihood of more fires for now (as others have said, it means other cars are more likely to hit debris before ours) -- and that is the most important thing at this precise moment in time.

Even if some of you are willing to risk your own cars by going back to the low setting, I'm grateful you can't, frankly. If you were to hit something and have a fire, well, we all know the media and PR crapstorm that would ensue.

I have faith that Tesla and Elon will do what's best for both the company and for all of us. So let's give them some breathing room, and try to have a bit of patience, ok?

Assuming this is an intentional change, I am ecstatic that Tesla has done this. Another debris-strike-fire would likely be devastating to the company right now, turning the Model S into a modern-day Pinto in the public perception. It could set the adoption of EVs back years, if not decades.

Keeping all of our cars at the standard setting will reduce the likelihood of more fires for now (as others have said, it means other cars are more likely to hit debris before ours) -- and that is the most important thing at this precise moment in time.

Even if some of you are willing to risk your own cars by going back to the low setting, I'm grateful you can't, frankly. If you were to hit something and have a fire, well, we all know the media and PR crapstorm that would ensue.

I have faith that Tesla and Elon will do what's best for both the company and for all of us. So let's give them some breathing room, and try to have a bit of patience, ok?

Sounds like Tesla is a religious experience for you...

I don't have faith in anything but myself. My property got altered against my permission and executed contract without notification and communication.

Not acceptable.

I abhor nanny companies and nanny governments.

The distance you travel at 100mph vs. 50 mph given the same reaction time makes your point moot.

Seriously.

Kai

If we have 2 more Tesla fires from road debris after this "fix", will they then disable standard height and force us to drive in high? mostly just being snarky here as I think Tesla is in the 'do something to make it look like we're doing something" mode, but I would certainly like to see a little better science that this is going to be a beneficial change before it is made permanent. And like so many others here, there should be an override, similar to the traction control override, that says "I accept that allowing the lowest setting may increase my risk of vehicle damage due to unexpected large road debris."

Evan,

Tesla has a lot of very smart folks working there. I am of the opinion that they know raising the car by .75 inches will have no measurable improvement on battery vunerability. I believe what we are seeing is a programming error. If Tesla actually believed raising the car reduced risk of battery vunerability would they then deliberately reduce the height to low when traveling at over 100 mph?

I think we will find this is merely a simple unintended programming error that will be hopefully quickly corrected. There won't be a need for waivers of risk or programming overides.

Larry

According to the poll results, you are in the minority (by a big margin) and I am glad that you don't get to decide for me. First, there is no evidence that this will change the risk of fire. As some others have stated, maybe the lower ride height means that debris is less likely to get underneath the car. We just don't know. Secondly, many prefer the lower ride height for handling and aerodynamics. Although nobody knows how much it improves range, it obviously does. Third, we paid for the feature and most of us like it.

I don't buy that this was an error..never have they deployed an update so quickly. At best, they are looking to save face after seeing the response of owners. Anyways, an official statement is long due

My guess is that it's not an error but it was easier for them to just push the threshold up to something much higher than anyone would legally drive. Doing that was probably much less invasive in the code then removing the feature all together.

This was my thought, as well. It's a lot easier to tweak one number (60 to 100) than to actually disable the feature. Why would they even have been messing with this code, which already was working fine? (Someone mentioned autobahn but why would they have raised the auto-lowering just for autobahn? That makes no sense.) Also the super-fast roll-out is unique so far; it could have another logical explanation, but I'm having trouble coming up with anything. (My car's already offered me the upgrade; that is astounding, since usually it takes weeks or longer for me to get an upgrade.)

But let's see if Tesla ever actually lets us know what's really going on, and if so, what they actually say. ;-)

As I am currently riding in my car, let me answer your questions.

1. With 5.8, the car no longer auto lowers. We are doing 72 and it still says the height is still standard. My husband says there is a noticeable difference in handling. It reminds him of the loaner we had with standard suspension.

2. Your car will automatically return to standard when you get over 8 miles an hour.

3. While standing still you can lower the car to low, but you cannot lower the car at high speeds. Am not able at this moment to test at slow speeds.
The driver should be able to *optionally choose* to lower the car at high speeds.

Being in an area with winter snow, I prefer to have the car riding higher at highway speeds, and I think that having that as an *option* is an improvement. But it should be an *option* whether the car lowers at high speeds. As others have said, it's unacceptable to remove the option.

What's really unacceptable is the failure to even notify people, with nothing even in the release notes, though. Why can't Tesla get its communication working right? This is not the first example of failure of communication from Tesla HQ, and it's not the second, and it's not the third, it's one of a very large number of such failures. I'd cut them some slack for the PR crisis... except that this sort of communication failure happens all the time, including on things where there was no PR crisis.

- - - Updated - - -

I think a bunch of people are over-reacting. Air suspension still gives you a better ride over less than perfect pavement.
Oh my God yes. I've been driving a loaner with coil suspension, and I hate it and want my air-suspension car back. It's a bumpity-bumpity-bump ride like riding in a haywagon behind a horse. Of course, my local streets are VERY VERY bumpy.

1) Because there is no road debris higher than 6"?
2) When you start contributing to my car payment or you are my wife, you can to have an opinion about how I drive my car.

In that case they would have pushed it just above the speed limiter. I.e. 140mph

Why? Because in retrospect this seems like a better idea? Tesla's first stab at things, like any other company's, is not always perfectly thought-out.

Your posting to various other threads saying "looks like a bug after all" seems premature to me. There's nothing to support that, other than a wild guess because the old 60 MPH was a bit under 100 KPH and now the lowering seems tied to 100 MPH (a.k.a. 160ish KPH). But we have two people reporting word from Tesla--brianman and, in more detail, vgrinshpun--that it was on purpose. Plus the lack of any reason why they'd otherwise be tinkering with the auto-lowering code, which has worked perfect for over a year now. I'll be happy if proven wrong, but this just doesn't smell like a bug to me.

In case this thread is being monitored, I vote for the following:

- bring back the Low suspension setting...
- ...even if it's a manual operation, though I'd prefer 'opt out' to 'opt in'.
- make it possible to drive with High or Very High suspension settings at speeds higher than currently allowed.
- the car should _never_ lower itself, when in Park, from a user-selected High or Very High suspension setting. That includes normal parking events as well as software upgrades.

That is all.
Agreed. It should be possible for the driver to pick a suspension setting and make it stick. Tesla can make the defaults whatever they like, but the driver should be allowed to override them.