Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it is, because in order to do so you have to take your eyes of the road and mess with the touch screen.

I do admit that it is more of a hassle now, but that coupled with the unknown regarding the permanence of this.. To each his/her own and I respect your opinion, but I personally do not feel quite as appalled as to request a refund. I do not feel that this makes my point of view cultish, just many bigger frustrations in my life than this.

The speed may automatically adjust at that (likely erroneous) speed, but the car can still be lowered into the low setting above the speed of 45 MPH. You have to do it manually, it does not occur automatically.
No, the car can't be lowered manually above 45mph or below 100mph. Several people have verified this (as have I). If you press the "Low" setting again after an error is displayed, it will look like the low setting has held, but that's just a UI bug, because it is trying to display a second error while the first one is being displayed.

No, the car can't be lowered manually above 45mph or below 100mph. Several people have verified this (as have I). If you press the "Low" setting again after an error is displayed, it will look like the low setting has held, but that's just a UI bug, because it is trying to display a second error while the first one is being displayed.

Odd - I never got an error message to start with. I merged with traffic (~70 MPH x ~90 sec) then hit low. The graphic changed and wheel present for the standard 10sec or so, but no message. The car reverted to standard as I slowed down on the off ramp.

Can you be more specific? Many of us were on 5.6 and Tesla has said that folks on WiFi will get updates faster (bandwidth is effectively free for Tesla when using your Internet connection vs 3g). My car is on WiFi in the garage. We didn't drive yesterday but when I went out today it had the alarm clock. I don't think this update was "rushed", Tesla is just doing what they said they would and make updates available to anyone on WiFi immediately and those on 3g would follow the regular rollout schedule which I assume is based on an agreement w/ AT&T on how much bandwidth they can use at a time.

No, they pushed it out to people without WiFi, as well. I was running 4.5 and got the update to 5.8 on Friday. What makes this rushed, was that (a) they pushed this out to a lot of people at once, and (b) they started pushing out on a Friday. Doing either of those things is utterly insane, unless they had something really important to fix. Tesla especially seems to be very bad about testing their software. But any company pushing out software updates knows that you start by pushing to a small set of users, and if that goes well, you expand the rollout. And you do the push at the beginning of the week, so when something goes wrong, all your engineers are standing by to deal with it. When you push on a Friday, you can count on working during the weekend.

Odd - I never got an error message to start with. I merged with traffic (~70 MPH x ~90 sec) then hit low. The graphic changed and wheel present for the standard 10sec or so, but no message. The car reverted to standard as I slowed down on the off ramp.
I took the car out for an extended highway drive yesterday and today. Cruised at 85mph several times, but always got an error when setting to low. If I pressed Low while an error message was displayed, the Low button would remain set, but it didn't look like the display changed to show the car had lowered. Pressing the highlighted Low button for the third time (with no message displaying) caused an error message to come up and the Standard suspension button being highlighted.

Another piece of information that points to this being a software bug, is that the website still describes the Air Suspension as lowering at highway speeds for aerodynamics.

You are assuming the software engineering folks are talking to the marketing and website folks--I am not sure that is a safe assumption. For all we know, there is a "Dear Rolf, please update the website this weekend since we are rolling out 5.8" e-mail sitting in someone's inbox right now.

O

Bless 'em, but Tesla's software testing isn't military-grade yet... they do release bugs in their updates.

The spinning GPS stuff was proof enough, I think there were other examples - bluetooth and so on. (I have ordered a car but I'm not an owner yet, so I am in a pretty weak position to comment specifically)

If the air suspension low setting is now going wrong, we should wait before we crucify Tesla for not communicating about it - since, if it's a bug, they obviously had no intention to communicate about it.

This is going to seem so like needless 20-20 hindsight that you don't want to pay any attention to me, but IMO it is worth waiting at least a week before accepting any update from Tesla.

Just wait until admitted (and addicted) early adopters have had a chance to make comments on it.

uhhh... I've worked with a lot of military software, and I hope that tesla never stoops that low! Well have three different apps that all do the same thing but need to be used in conjunction. Further, there will almost never be a time that all three are working properly.

if everyone waits a week, we still won't know what the bugs are a week later and we would be in the same situation:tongue:

I took the car out for an extended highway drive yesterday and today. Cruised at 85mph several times, but always got an error when setting to low. If I pressed Low while an error message was displayed, the Low button would remain set, but it didn't look like the display changed to show the car had lowered. Pressing the highlighted Low button for the third time (with no message displaying) caused an error message to come up and the Standard suspension button being highlighted.

I stand corrected - just took the car out (in my PJs) to try to replicate what I thought I had done earlier this evening, but to no avail. On each occasion I got the error message as described and the suspension failed to adjust. I still hold on hope that this is a glitch. Certainly the feature would be made optional rather than taken away altogether. Sorry for the false info :)

Can you be more specific? Many of us were on 5.6 and Tesla has said that folks on WiFi will get updates faster (bandwidth is effectively free for Tesla when using your Internet connection vs 3g). My car is on WiFi in the garage. We didn't drive yesterday but when I went out today it had the alarm clock. I don't think this update was "rushed", Tesla is just doing what they said they would and make updates available to anyone on WiFi immediately and those on 3g would follow the regular rollout schedule which I assume is based on an agreement w/ AT&T on how much bandwidth they can use at a time.

I'm on 4.5 (thus, no wifi) and I've always taken weeks or longer to get updates; I got offered this one today. It sounds like I'm not the only one. My impression was that because 5.6's roll-out was stopped, there weren't so many folks on 5.6 that wifi could explain this roll-out speed. But it's all anecdotal, so who knows.

- - - Updated - - -

Another piece of information that points to this being a software bug, is that the website still describes the Air Suspension as lowering at highway speeds for aerodynamics.

Nope. Already mentioned upthread--Tesla's got a history of sometimes being...let's say...not the speediest to update their web site. So this means nothing, IMHO.

Upon contemplation in any case there are two scenario:

1. Tesla deliberately changed the handling and driving characteristics of the car without telling owners.

2. Tesla accidentally changed the handling and driving characteristics of the car without realizing it.

I'm not sure which is worse......

Can you imagine the water cooler chat at TM HQ tomorrow?! About all of us here on TMC?

No doubt new scrutiny will be in place for rollouts, and notes/communication... or at least one would hope.

Ok. I can now personally confirm this is a unit conversion error. 60mph=96.5kph.

Set cruise control at 95 mph for 60 seconds. Standard height.

96mph for 60 sec. Standard height.

97 mph for 30 sec. Switched to low height.

I used CC stalk for 1mph increments. Never touched 98,99,or 100.

The way to fix the communication problem is, unfortunately, to hit them in the pocket book. Each email or phone call to Ownership costs at least $15 to $25. A few times where every owner calls or writes will make them see that it makes financial sense to notify first. Now if it's a bug, it should have been obvious within a few hours after rollout and owners notified. As this is a 7x24 company, weekends shouldn't matter.

From the design studio page (http://www.teslamotors.com/models/design):
View attachment 35826

From the features page (http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features#/performance):
View attachment 35827

Updating a website is much less risky than rolling out a software update for a car. Since the website still has not been updated days after the release, it also points to a software bug. Especially since people could still be buying a feature as described in the design studio that doesn't even exist.

While it very well may be a mistake, experience has taught me not to place faith in Tesla's website having up to date information.

I did some measurements before and after upgrading to 5.8. The Low setting is no longer as low:

Version_____5.0_____5.8
Low_______4.46"____4.92"
Std_______5.30"____5.31"

I made 2 or 3 measurements at each setting and averaged. I figure the measurements are accurate within around 0.1".

I moved back and forth between STD and Low to confirm I got the same results.

These measurements were made on a P85+ with winter tires. I measured up to the bare aluminum of the battery tray behind the passenger front tire using calipers.

Last edited: