Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We should probably start a pool for when we think the Low suspension returns.

I'll start:
First report of new firmware with the Low setting on TMC on 01/31/2014.
First report of bug in new firmware (of any kind) on TMC on 02/01/2014.

I'll start:

I spoke with my Fremont service advisor yesterday when I got the yearly service (and a new spoiler because the clear coat split) he didn't sound too hopeful...

I'll start:

Me:
Announcement that Tesla will come out with a new firmware to address the issue - 3/31/2014
Actual time frame of having full access to the settings: 7/1/2014

Air suspension option currently has no functionality.

Tesla has managed to make the air suspension a costly mistake.
In a perfect world the driver would have control over the ride height of the automobile.
We don't live in a perfect world and Tesla software does not give you control over right height
while the car is in motion.

The automatic features of lowering at high speed have fundamentally been disabled.

If you're going to buy a Tesla drop the air suspension.
Or get a guarantee as to how it will behave.

The car I purchased has been taken away from me.
Another Tesla promise broken perhaps?

In a perfect world the driver would have control over the ride height of the automobile.
We don't live in a perfect world and Tesla software does not give you control over right height

The automatic features of lowering at high speed have fundamentally been disabled.

For many of us, the air suspension is critical for getting in and out of our driveways (and certain parking spots)! So while it may now be a costly mistake for you, please don't generalize...I eagerly await the day my car lowers itself once again, but I would order the air suspension again regardless.

I don't see it that way.

The air suspension has a lot of beneficial functions beside simply lowering the car at speeds above 55 mph.
The car is already low, and has long overhangs (part of the aerodynamic qualities).

I usually raise the car's suspension to avoid dragging "belly" in my parking garage at work (when I don't, there is a scraping sound).
When parking, the chin is highly vulnerable to high curbs and concrete wheel stops, so I raise the car at those locations when parking (School of Experience speaking here).
And ALSO for the fins which project from underneath the rear of the car (I have replaced one already).

Somewhere I read a post that 4 or 5 Teslas were spotted at a body shop in Seattle area, all were missing their chin spoilers. and other pieces from their "front chins".
Such an Experience is a sure teacher, and one can suddenly learn the true value of raising the car to avoid having your chin damaged or leaving it behind.

I feel very similarly to you. The car I ordered did not arrive with the abilities I paid for. I am being very patient awaiting the January fix as promised by Tesla. But if it is not restored by the end of the month, on 3 February I will be requesting at least a partial refund of the money I spent on the air suspension package. What angers me the most about this is I SPECIFICALLY told the Service Center NOT to apply the update to the car when it arrived. They totally ignored my request; applied the update; and purposefully crippled my car; then tried to tell me "It's not that big a deal and you will have it back in January." I think I should be the one to determine what is and is not a "big deal" on my car!

I understand some would buy air suspension for driveway issues. But that is not the reason I purchased it and I would never have paid for that option. I would have gone with coil suspension for lower long-term cost/risk. I test-drove both and had no complaints with coil suspension. The reason I purchased it is currently disabled.

The reason I purchased it is currently disabled.

So you got the air suspension only because it lowered the car 0.73" at highway speeds?

After all this discussion I would still like to see real data demonstrating that the lowering measurably improves highway driving range. I know that Tesla says it does, but I'm skeptical.

Glad I got the coils. But I am confident that Tesla will restore the air suspension lowering capability soon.

So you got the air suspension only because it lowered the car 0.73" at highway speeds?

After all this discussion I would still like to see real data demonstrating that the lowering measurably improves highway driving range. I know that Tesla says it does, but I'm skeptical.

Glad I got the coils. But I am confident that Tesla will restore the air suspension lowering capability soon.
If one thinks 0.73 inches is so insignificant I have to wonder why Tesla felt the need to take it away??? Personally, I feel the manner in which it was accomplished was the greater overstep. The fact that they took it without even a mention in the release notes. That they did so in their first Wi-Fi rollout that everyone was excited about. And they took it while at the same time commenting that it was absolutely NOT done for any safety reasons. In any event, I hope you are correct and that it IS restored soon.

Lowering is not about driving range, I never bought that argument. For me I believed it was about better handling due to a lowered Cg at higher speeds.

In any event both aspects of the smart air suspension were marketed to me by TM.

Here is a snippet from the EU owners manual (my US version is on another PC):

If Model S is moving, Active Air Suspension adjusts height as follows: • Whenever you drive between 90 and 115 km/h, the suspension lowers to Low to improve aerodynamics and handling. When your driving slows to less than 65 km/h, the suspension raises back to Standard.

If the marketing pitch had been "pay $2300 for added driveway clearance" I would have declined that option as I neither want nor need it.

Unfortunately, I paid $1,500 for "Inactive" air suspension.Totally mishandled by Tesla (knee-jerk). As I have said numerous times, I love the car but do not like the underhanded way MY right to use MY property was violated. To those who still wholeheartedly embrace this approach, your choice. Not mine. I consider myself to be a reasonable individual who is totally competent to assess risks and make the responsible decisions. Just give me the facts and data. I do not give Tesla the right to make decisions on how I will use my Model S. Not your decision. Bottom line!

I've only had my car for 12 days, but I'm glad the air suspension was disabled. On the freeway yesterday a 2x4 was laying in the road (partially smashed) and I had no choice but to run it over. I could hear and feel it hit the underside of the car and I was immediately relieved that I wasn't riding lower then I was.

With that said. It would be nice to have the option to ride low, but with a disclaimer. I agree with mjtgroup. I paid for it, I'd like to have it. Make me aware of the risks then give me the choice. After my recent experience, I will probably leave it on standard hight 99% of the time and only lower the suspension when im on a long trip or hypermiling

Just give me it back, I will deal with any issues that come up when I drive in the Low position. I will sign a waiver if Tesla is worried about a potential problem, IMO the fact that it is less than 1 inch higher is not going do keep a trailer hitch or any other large metal object from doing some damage. I have e-mailed ownership and Jerome and explained the above. Hopefully it will be re enabled in the next firmware push.