Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I for one do not buy the tire wear reason, I know several owners that have 21's and have well over 15000 on there tires and have no inner tire wear. This is not a lowering issue, if you have premature rear tire wear it is from misalignment issues. I just want back what I paid for period.

Last edited:
Tesla service tech ... said there is A LOT of misinformation on these forums
He did say that they are pretty much the last ones on the food chain to get the word on changes being made and said they frequently will find out changes being made by posts on these forums before they get notified by internal channels.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding but taken together I conclude: "TMC has a headstart even on many Tesla employees for new information, but it's not always correct new information."

I did ask 'but what about Elon's statement that it would return in a firmware update' and he responded that this is extremely unlikely to return but that you never know what the top level decision makers are going to change.

Very amusing. Here we have a service technician at the bottom of the information chain that concedes that, even though its extremely unlikely, you just never know the CEO of the company might just follow through on a published statement that he made.

While it wouldn't surprise me that the expected software update to "give the driver direct control of the air suspension ride height transitions" might slip beyond January, its very difficult to give credence to the heresay speculations of a technician over the published statement of Elon.

Larry

Last edited:
I suspect whomever makes Elon sound like a liar is going to have a short career at Tesla :)

I'm not buying that, reducing the air flow below a vehicle always improves efficiency. How measurable it is depends on circumstances. I do buy that the raised suspension wouldn't have prevented either of the road debris problems.

This is the problem with not providing decent release notes that are viewable before the upgrade is applied. I don't know anyone who deals with production equipment that installs patches as soon as they come out--unless there is a very visible problem that is trying to be solved. A car is the closest thing to production equipment that most folks deal with outside of work.

The thought is there, but the execution is flawed because there are apparently many false events.

This must vary by Service Centre. Been in--no upgrade. The "corporate policy" thing is what the service people say to get folks to settle. If it was really Corporate Policy, there would be an email sent to owners to let them know.

Agreed, although there are plenty of 21" tires damaged by potholes in summer as well.

+1. I agree with all of Jerry33's points. Furthermore I would give very little credit to the blah blah coming from the service centers. Frankly they make up "facts" as they go along and pretty much give you their opinion. I have learned the hard that after checking deeper into things I have been told by them.

It's pretty late in January and I among those hoping Elon is NOT like may corporate leaders who say things that are "for PR purposes only, and not really true" AND that he will keep his word the way we all understand it (not the Clinton "depends on how you define that word or another") and give us back full control of the suspension height as measured before the update that we paid extra cash for. Tesla has demonstrated time and time again it is overall a different company from the norm doing extraordinary things for the dedicated customers. Elon needs to show he told us the truth. Period. No fancy "if's, but, anyway, you did not understand, taken out of context, tire issue, etc." BS that other corporate talking heads are famous for.

- - - Updated - - -

I for one do not buy the tire wear reason, I know several owners that have 21's and have will over 15000 on there tires and have no inner tire wear. This is not a lowering issue, if you have premature rear tire wear it is from misalignment issues. I just want back what I paid for period.

+1 Me too. Keep the promise.

As I've said previously, for me this is not about efficiency or handling. It is about the principle of the thing. Tesla is sending the message that the features of our cars are all subject to change. Sure, they can use software to improve the car (as they've always claimed) but one whiff of bad PR and they can just as quickly use the very same software to disable or remove features. My goal is to let them know this type of behavior will not be tolerated before they make a habit of it.

As I've said previously, for me this is not about efficiency or handling. It is about the principle of the thing. Tesla is sending the message that the features of our cars are all subject to change. Sure, they can use software to improve the car (as they've always claimed) but one whiff of bad PR and they can just as quickly use the very same software to disable or remove features. My goal is to let them know this type of behavior will not be tolerated before they make a habit of it.

+1! Ditto or a refund . . .

They may be waiting for the NHTSA investigation to finish before making the final decision.

That is possible, but unlikely. When has Elon ever waited for the NHTSA before taking action? He certainly didn't wait for a judgement from NHTSA before preemptively issuing these controversial changes to the suspension that are the subject of this thread.

I think if there is a delay its simply to get the changes right. I'm sure Elon knows that his credibility is on the line and he will follow through on his published statement as soon as feasible. In the unlikely event that NHTSA issues an order involving the ground clearance its certainly no big deal for Tesla to issue another firmware revision. Its not like the cars have to be recalled.

Larry

I'm probably going to get bashed for this but I don't ever recall Elon stating we would be getting the low setting specifically.

“Another software update expected in January will give the driver direct control of the air suspension ride height transitions.”

I read this as we hope to have an update in January that gives a bit more control to the driver on when/how transitions happen. No where does it call into specific setting of low. Also just a quick observation, since they issued 5.8 how many battery impact fires have been reported?

I'm probably going to get bashed for this but I don't ever recall Elon stating we would be getting the low setting specifically.

“Another software update expected in January will give the driver direct control of the air suspension ride height transitions.”

I read this as we hope to have an update in January that gives a bit more control to the driver on when/how transitions happen. No where does it call into specific setting of low.

True, that is one interpretation.

Of course prior to the update Tesla made a point to advertise that the automatic lowering at highway speed was a feature that improved aerodynamics. So if your interpretation is correct they would be removing a feature after specifically stating the the change was "not improving safety".

Also just a quick observation, since they issued 5.8 how many battery impact fires have been reported?

By this question/observation am I to assume that you hold the view that increasing the ground clearance by less than an inch is responsible for avoiding another battery impact fire over the period of just two months? Are you suggesting that if nothing was done to the ground clearance there probably would have been another incident in just two months? I should point out that Model Ss were on the road for more than a year before a series of incidents occurred in rapid succession. I see these as very rare and sporatic events and I doubt there is sufficient statistical data to reach any meaningful conclusions regarding whether this change in ground clearance has had any measurable effect on battery impacts.

Larry

Amusing article in the San Jose Mercury News today... Silicon Valley: Budding African-American scientists learn from both success and failure - San Jose Mercury News

Let's see what a sixth-grader concludes regarding the aerodynamic relevance of the increased ride height at freeway speeds :).

Excerpt:
SAN JOSE -- Attention, Tesla Motors: Your next budding engineering genius lives right in your backyard and has a question and a hunch about aerodynamics for you.

Ayinde Olukotun, 11, was intrigued by the electric car company's decision last year to raise its new Model S higher off the ground after a series of well-publicized battery fires.

"As a car guy, I wondered if this small change would alter the aerodynamics of the car," said Ayinde, a sixth-grader at Jane Lathrop Stanford Middle School in Palo Alto.

He was among about 100 young scientists explaining their displays Saturday at the 12th annual Greene Scholars Program Science Fair.

The fair is part of the Dr. Frank S. Greene Scholars Program, aimed at nurturing African-American students' interest in science, technology, engineering and math -- often called the STEM fields. The program offers workshops, enrichment, a summer institute, a career fair and other activities to the 110 students in third through 12th grade, Program Director Gloria Whitaker-Daniels said.

The science fair, she said, provides a safe place for students to showcase their achievements and practice presentation skills and speaking to strangers.

Ayinde compared the energy efficiency of balsa model cars with different nose shapes, body sizes, centers of gravity and other variables. He thinks that while Palo Alto-based Tesla may have solved the problem of battery fires, it might be creating another problem with the Model S's lift, causing bouncing.

What to do? "I might email Tesla about that," he said.

“Another software update expected in January will give the driver direct control of the air suspension ride height the auto transitions.”

I read this as we hope to have an update in January that gives a bit more control to the driver on when/how transitions happen. No where does it call into specific setting of low. Also just a quick observation, since they issued 5.8 how many battery impact fires have been reported?
Again I will reiterate what Jerome said after I specifically asked him in an e-mail when we would have the auto lowering back. I explained to him that it was something I paid for and that I wanted it back. He said we would have it back in another update in the beginning of 2014.

Again I will reiterate what Jerome said after I specifically asked him in an e-mail when we would have the auto lowering back. I explained to him that it was something I paid for and that I wanted it back. He said we would have it back in another update in the beginning of 2014.

Well that does sound promising, but sadly my trust in Jerome's statements has been significantly degraded as a result of his poor handling of the whole 90-kW screw up.

I would like to say that I am retiring myself from this thread. Let's just say that my posts have sparked the interest of some high profile people who will remain nameless but I can rest assured now knowing that air suspension lowering is definitely returning. Good day to you all. I will see you in other threads :)

+1! Ditto or a refund . . .

Also +1. or a refund

- - - Updated - - -

In lieu of a refund I might be willing to entertain one of:

- install a twin charger
- an HPWC
- a set of rims at half price
- 4 years of Annual service
- Red brake calipers
- Folding mirrors
+1 I agree. And would accept same.
Hopefully Tesla reviews this thread for a common theme or feeling about customer experience.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to say that I am retiring myself from this thread. Let's just say that my posts have sparked the interest of some high profile people who will remain nameless but I can rest assured now knowing that air suspension lowering is definitely returning. Good day to you all. I will see you in other threads :)

1. Interesting post. Tonight I received some of the same "implied pressure". Although I am not retiring from the thread yet.

2. Also interesting is the air suspension comment. I like "definitely". Would like to rely on the January time set.

Good wishes @yobigd20 and DO hope to see you on other threads.

Last edited: