Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension now a requirement for 6/7 seats? What about 75D orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. I can do math but it's not an option for the 75D model it's a different model car. It's not the same as clicking on upgraded audio for $2,500

Are you saying compared to the original 70D price? Yes, that I would expect to be 13k more.

If you're saying the fair selling value to Tesla between the 75D and 90D isn't $10k, I disagree. Given that we are already getting 50% off the air suspension, why wouldn't the company be willing to sell us the higher margin battery at the price that they charge for it?

You could make a case that it's a different car model than the 75D, but the battery upgrade to 90D is really just another option.

I think some people forget that the $10,000 upgrade to the 90kw does not include the SAS option, it's only true when you compare SAS 75D and SAS 90D.

The coil 75D to 90D is 12.5K upgrade (10K for battery, 2.5K for SAS). It used to be a 15,500 difference on the original 70D, but when they bumped the battery to 75 they tacked on 3K to the base price as well.

For people in the states....the free change boat has sailed. Friday was the cutoff.

I think the only options available avoiding the change fee was.

* Upgrade to a 90D (which means pay for the 90D as listed with all required upgrades)
* Upgrade from a 5 seat to a 6/7 seat option (add or subtract other options at will)
* Upgrade from coil to SAS with specified discount (add or subtract other options at will)

• Informative
Reactions: ssq
Been actively reading this topic since it started and wanted to purge a couple thoughts that have been percolating...

Quite a number of pages back on this topic someone asked if anyone felt that the coil suspended 6 or 7 seat configurations could infact end up being the most sought after in the secondary markets compared to the cars offers the Smart Air Suspension. That is, once some time has passed and the Model X's start to have some pre-owned sales history will the ones spec'd with coil suspension actually out perform the resale values of the SAS cars? I am a firm believer that this will infact be the case and not just because this is how I spec'd our Model X 75D but it is based on the history of vehicles from various manufacturers that offered rarely accepted or offered options that eventually went on to drive popularity and resale values. BMW's M cars with "sunroof delete" options have proven to be extremely popular among the BMW M crazies. And finding a clean, early 90's Lexus SC300 with the ultra rare 5-speed manual transmission mated to the legendary 2JZ-GE straight six is tougher then hiding a baked ham from Oprah! Oh and finding a W211 Mercedes AMG Estate (wagon) is not only tough but will force buyers finding one to pay roughly 25% more then the more common sedan variants.

So as I read all these posts on the Model X coil, one pattern emerged. A lot of Model X coil buyers are taking Teslas offer of the discounted SAS... meaning there are less and less of the coil suspended MX's to be manufactured by Tesla. This was confirmed when I got the call from Tesla asking if we would like to upgrade to the SAS. The Tesla representative I spoke with said "most people I have spoken with have taken the upgrade". When I asked the Tesla rep as to why the push to gets Model X buyers to step up to the SAS they disclosed to me that there was some performance limitations with the coil spring versus the SAS when it came to cargo capacity. Loaded to capacity with 7 passengers, luggage and potentially an accessory hitch full of bicycles could max out the coil suspensions capabilities and although they wouldn't say it, I couldn't help but get the vibe that the coil suspension might not quite be a fully baked idea just yet. I think the coil spring Model X will end up being a very niche configuration for a very narrow group of buyers and that is alright with me.

Been actively reading this topic since it started and wanted to purge a couple thoughts that have been percolating...

Quite a number of pages back on this topic someone asked if anyone felt that the coil suspended 6 or 7 seat configurations could infact end up being the most sought after in the secondary markets compared to the cars offers the Smart Air Suspension. That is, once some time has passed and the Model X's start to have some pre-owned sales history will the ones spec'd with coil suspension actually out perform the resale values of the SAS cars? I am a firm believer that this will infact be the case and not just because this is how I spec'd our Model X 75D but it is based on the history of vehicles from various manufacturers that offered rarely accepted or offered options that eventually went on to drive popularity and resale values. BMW's M cars with "sunroof delete" options have proven to be extremely popular among the BMW M crazies. And finding a clean, early 90's Lexus SC300 with the ultra rare 5-speed manual transmission mated to the legendary 2JZ-GE straight six is tougher then hiding a baked ham from Oprah! Oh and finding a W211 Mercedes AMG Estate (wagon) is not only tough but will force buyers finding one to pay roughly 25% more then the more common sedan variants.

So as I read all these posts on the Model X coil, one pattern emerged. A lot of Model X coil buyers are taking Teslas offer of the discounted SAS... meaning there are less and less of the coil suspended MX's to be manufactured by Tesla. This was confirmed when I got the call from Tesla asking if we would like to upgrade to the SAS. The Tesla representative I spoke with said "most people I have spoken with have taken the upgrade". When I asked the Tesla rep as to why the push to gets Model X buyers to step up to the SAS they disclosed to me that there was some performance limitations with the coil spring versus the SAS when it came to cargo capacity. Loaded to capacity with 7 passengers, luggage and potentially an accessory hitch full of bicycles could max out the coil suspensions capabilities and although they wouldn't say it, I couldn't help but get the vibe that the coil suspension might not quite be a fully baked idea just yet. I think the coil spring Model X will end up being a very niche configuration for a very narrow group of buyers and that is alright with me.

I said that fellow car guy. I love the 2jz-ge/gte engine of the supras mated to twin sequential turbos. Those were my favourite along with Mazda's rotary rx-7. Unfortunately I couldn't help but upgrade to SAS and told my wife It just made more sense since my mother's knees were getting weak and if the vehicle knelt, it would be easier for her to get in and out. Hard to argue with that! Then I proceeded to add towing and she was not delighted.

There will be a market for coil. Merely saying it's coil and showing the secondary buyers the price for each component and that vehicle will instantly be unique and desirable. If you have SAS and with the fwd, I think extended warranty almost becomes a necessity. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Btw, your vocabulary included percolating, purging while your name has peddler in it... What are you up to? ;)

I inquired about this with my DS, slightly different situation: I downgraded from 90D to 75D the day after it was announced. Even though my order confirmed on 4/10, when the base price of the 70D was $80k, I didn't get the free 75D upgrade and my order agreement shows base price of $83k. I also had to pay a $500 change fee to downgrade. When I asked if I can get the base price adjusted along with adding the SAS as part of the coil-to-SAS offer (since it was $80k when the order confirmed) I was basically told to go away and that Tesla does not negotiate.

So it's not options pricing, but still pricing related and I thought it was worth mentioning.

Also, my DS confirmed that the $1900 72amp charger post-delivery upgrade WILL be available for my Model X, as I didn't order the higher AMP charger package, which at the time of order was listed as "not available after delivery" This is good news, as I have no infrastructure at home to charge at 72 AMP currently anyway, but like to have the flexibility down the road if I move, etc.

For anyone considering 'other' changes along with SAS upgrade - they were able to give me what the original price would have been at the time of order. I first saw this when I added 72amp and it priced at $1,000 instead of the new $1,500. I also just added the accessory hitch and it was $0 instead of $200. Not sure this helps anyone but thought I would share.

On an unrelated note I just noticed design studio states the 72amp can be enabled after delivery for $1,900. I might have left it off as I got it 'just in case' anyway. Oh well.

Just as a data point, I got the call from Inside Sales today offering the half-price SAS upgrade. I had already discussed it with my DS last week, but it looks like the Inside Sales rep didn't see the note on my file, so I got a second call. For those of you who might want to try for the upgrade, it sounds like the window to do so is still open.

Also, this means that they have quite a few 70/75D orders with coil, as they've been calling for over a week now, and are still not done.

Did anyone that recently upgraded to SAS/Tow in the latest round of calls check to see if their upgrades now appear in their MyTesla config yet?
Not me. And I have not seen anyone else indicate they have either. I got the call on Friday, May 6. On Monday, I accepted the SAS upgrade and made one additional change on Monday, May 9. I followed up with Tesla inside sales on Friday, May 13. I was told the change would hit my design spec by Friday, 5/20 and that production slots would start for 75Ds by Friday, May 27.

Just as a data point, I got the call from Inside Sales today offering the half-price SAS upgrade. I had already discussed it with my DS last week, but it looks like the Inside Sales rep didn't see the note on my file, so I got a second call. For those of you who might want to try for the upgrade, it sounds like the window to do so is still open.

Also, this means that they have quite a few 70/75D orders with coil, as they've been calling for over a week now, and are still not done.
That kinda sucks....only because I really want them to start production ASAP.

"there was some performance limitations with the coil spring versus the SAS when it came to cargo capacity" is this the real reason or they just don't have a production line for coil cars yet. I guess we'll never know. If it's really what they said, then it makes a pretty good reason to upgrade to SAS.

I got an Inside Call today too even tho I already confirmed with my DS last week. Seems like Inside Sales isn't seeing the notes from our DS's.
I asked if I'm further in the queue because I didn't get batched last week but she said that hasn't been done yet. She also said that within the next few weeks I'd get queued for production (seems similar to what @Tgibson was saying).
She was pretty confident to expect delivery in July.