Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension now a requirement for 6/7 seats? What about 75D orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We also skipped the SAS upgrade offer. Having owned a number of air suspension equipped vehicles I have learned my lesson. Costly repairs and handling that can feel a bit "wallowy" have turned me off this suspension design. it is great for towing however as load-leveling is very handy to have. if I remember right it cost me $1,850 per corner to replace both front air struts on our w211 Mercedes Benz E 55 AMG wagon.

What year was your amg 55 wagon and when were the struts replaced?

What year was your amg 55 wagon and when were the struts replaced?

We had a 2005 model and the front right strut went out first at around 70,000 miles. The driver's side front followed around 72,000 miles. (at least they were consistent.) Now age also has to be factored in to the failure of both components as they were right at 7 years old at the time of failure. For those of you that do not know or have not seen one of these air suspension units, they essentially have a big comma rubber air bladder about the size of a small soccer ball in place of where a normal coil spring would reside. Time, environment and use take their toll on the rubber compound which can break down eventually causing cracking in the rubber itself which leads to air loss and failure of the suspension. Air suspensions fail in one of two ways. Either they get a small leak and the air pump is able to inflate the bladder when the car is started allowing the car to reach normal operating height or they fail catastrophically, like my passenger side front did, and the car has to be towed for repairs. I walked in the I walked in the garage one morning and a car is looking like a dog that knows it did something wrong, all leaned down on its right front laying it's nose to the cement. Sorry to repeat information that many of you already know, figured there are people reading these posts that may not know some of this information.

We had a 2005 model and the front right strut went out first at around 70,000 miles. The driver's side front followed around 72,000 miles. (at least they were consistent.) Now age also has to be factored in to the failure of both components as they were right at 7 years old at the time of failure. For those of you that do not know or have not seen one of these air suspension units, they essentially have a big comma rubber air bladder about the size of a small soccer ball in place of where a normal coil spring would reside. Time, environment and use take their toll on the rubber compound which can break down eventually causing cracking in the rubber itself which leads to air loss and failure of the suspension. Air suspensions fail in one of two ways. Either they get a small leak and the air pump is able to inflate the bladder when the car is started allowing the car to reach normal operating height or they fail catastrophically, like my passenger side front did, and the car has to be towed for repairs. I walked in the I walked in the garage one morning and a car is looking like a dog that knows it did something wrong, all leaned down on its right front laying it's nose to the cement. Sorry to repeat information that many of you already know, figured there are people reading these posts that may not know some of this information.

Better response than expected. Thanks! If extended warranty is purchased and everything being equal, we'd be covered through tesla.

Problem is if it break after warranty. Uhoh

Me too. Though i think the extended warranty on my S is not worth it, I would definitely get it with the X

Agreed. From speaking to other Model S owners they seem to have had good ownership reliability experiences. Extended warranty is looking more and more like unneeded expense for those owners. The model X however seems to be a difference Beast. In fact I just saw Elon send out a tweet in response to brand new model X that failed to even last its first day in the hands of its new owner before failing to operate...

Tweet:
Lisa ‏@iwanttobeanurse
@elonmusk took delivery of my X yesterday. Undrivable witin 6 hrs. Towed to svc center. No update yet from anyone at Tesla. Help please.

Elon's response was typically galant in stating it would be looked into. And that is what makes me feel confident in this young company. They do seem to care about their product.

Reactions: systemcrashed
Anyone change the wood trim during the SAS campaign? My build sheet is now updated but they charged me from changing matte Obeche to figured ash ($750). Does this seem right? I know it costs $750 now but on my original build matte obeche was included. All other charges look good.

Anyone change the wood trim during the SAS campaign? My build sheet is now updated but they charged me from changing matte Obeche to figured ash ($750). Does this seem right? I know it costs $750 now but on my original build matte obeche was included. All other charges look good.

Yes. I changed the wood trim. I asked during the change call if there would be any additional cost and was told that there would not be any. However I saw the $750 added cost today and called Tesla sales. They cannot take it off as it was price of that trim when we originally configured.

Anybody else got their MVPA or any word email or updates from their DS ever since the VINs got assigned?

I'm not sure what the MVPA is - some sort of official purchase agreement? My VIN showed up on 5/24. I received the "Your order has been modified" email on 6/6 as well as the updated Order Agreement in My Tesla.

I reached out to my DS and he had this to say:

"The estimated time frame for production to end is late June. Sometimes this changes and with the 75kw going into production, I could expect it to change a few times. I don’t want to promise June, and give you inaccurate information. However, this very we’ll could stick to these time lines or even be sooner!"

Late July seems more probable to me.