Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension or Coilovers? That is the Question…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cant decide between going with MPP coilovers or going the air suspension route. Need some input from y’all, my Internet car nerds.

I think if maintenance and the thought of a bag exploding/leaking on me weren’t an issue, I’d go with bags on my car. I’ve driven low cars for my whole life and the main stress of going anywhere was if I could “make it up the driveway.” Sounds like I want bags right?

But, I’m also a worry wart and not sure if I would like the idea of the thought that the bag can leak and possibly leave me stranded.

Coils are tried and true, but it would be nice to adjust the height on the go, esp to protect the battery of the Tesla

Air bag leaking worry vs. driving low? Hmmm.

Thoughts? Am I overthinking?

My 2022 is better than my 2021 especially since I switched to 19s. I would be cautious about air bags. The Model X had a lot of axle problems because of the ride height adjustment. If you go with aftermarket air bags and have an axle or drive unit failure expect Tesla to try and blame the failure on the modifications.

Doing aftermarket suspension is fine but again I would be very cautious about making any ride height adjustment for the same reasons.

Air suspension is very reliable IF installed correctly. Remember that every luxury car manufacturer has air suspension standard or as an option and every tractor trailer on the road uses air in their suspension and/or brake system.

I've had lowering springs, coilovers and air suspension on many cars over the years.
Air is cool for the aesthetic and comfort. Coilovers are better for handling and can be almost as comfortable if built to spec. Springs are the easy way to get a little lower without any warranty, installation or other aftermarket issues.
Hope this helps.

Air suspension is very reliable IF installed correctly. Remember that every luxury car manufacturer has air suspension standard or as an option and every tractor trailer on the road uses air in their suspension and/or brake system.

I've had lowering springs, coilovers and air suspension on many cars over the years.
Air is cool for the aesthetic and comfort. Coilovers are better for handling and can be almost as comfortable if built to spec. Springs are the easy way to get a little lower without any warranty, installation or other aftermarket issues.
Hope this helps.
If you were to do it again, which would you code for your tesla?