Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension problem after terrible noice.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning when I started my P85-14 there was a strong vibrating noice from the front of the car for a few seconds. It felt like the steering wheel was rattling. After that I got the red air suspension faulty lamp on the dashboard. When I tried to adjust the height of the car I got an error message that the Air suspension was not available. I also realised that the front of the car was at a very low position. After a power down for some minutes the suspension seemed to work and I could make it go up and down. Fault indication was gone. Unfortunately a few our later when I got to the car the problem was back, there was no strange sound like in the morning. However the front was again super low and it was not really possible to drive without scratching at smallest road bump. Also this time it went away after a few minutes.
Any ideas?
We have sub zero degrees here in Estonia now and unfortunately the nearest service center is very far away in another country.

From another user in January, 2017:

"My air suspension disabled light has come on numerous times in two years of ownership. It only happens when it's really cold -25 or below. I have also noticed it happens more often when I park in a warm spot and then the car cold soakes. The mechanic in me thinks it might have something to do with the nitrogen pump that operates the air suspension being software limited to not operate when temp extremes reach a certain level."

The noise you mention may indicate an issue with the suspension pump.You may want to reboot the car and see if that helps. If not, and it continues to be an issue, probably need service to look at it.

From another user in January, 2017:

"My air suspension disabled light has come on numerous times in two years of ownership. It only happens when it's really cold -25 or below. I have also noticed it happens more often when I park in a warm spot and then the car cold soakes. The mechanic in me thinks it might have something to do with the nitrogen pump that operates the air suspension being software limited to not operate when temp extremes reach a certain level."

The noise you mention may indicate an issue with the suspension pump.You may want to reboot the car and see if that helps. If not, and it continues to be an issue, probably need service to look at it.
The problem did return a few hours later, but without the terrible noice and vibrations. I would think that it is somehow cold related since it happened just when the sub zero temp came during the night. But what to do? Service center is almost not an option considering its in another country and the cover situation.

If both front struts were low, you should prob check the reserve air tank for leaks in the air lines/connections. The cold weather may be causing the tank to lose air and then it takes some time to fill up again. Check the lines/fittings at the air distribution block as well.