Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our MS order just got confirmed. We have the adjustable suspension in the package, because we have a rather steep driveway, and I have hit too many parking lot curb bumpers in low cars before. I know that I can program the car to raise as the speed decreases.

But I found a thread saying that an owner parked his MS, then the car lowered itself down till it was sitting on the curb bumper, which caused damage as he backed out of the slot. Can you set the system to stay in the high position after shutdown, or does it always lower when the car is off?

Thanks

I have air (April 2015 85D) and it NEVER lowers when I'm parked.
I always leave the car with the suspension display up and verify it's still Very High (because of reading about these problems)
If my car ever started doing that I would take it in and get it fixed..would be useless otherwise.

I have air (April 2015 85D) and it NEVER lowers when I'm parked.
I always leave the car with the suspension display up and verify it's still Very High (because of reading about these problems)
If my car ever started doing that I would take it in and get it fixed..would be useless otherwise.

Thanks so much for your reply. I was assuming that was how it worked.

The owners manual states that the car could self level even when the car is off. I've witnessed my car do a small adjustment to level when sitting in my garage. However it definitely shouldn't change the set level while off.

Perhaps if you parked with a big load, and unloaded, it will seek to level the chassis, but not lower the car. That might have been just enough to cause the problem in the post I referenced.
Thanks for your input.

Our MS order just got confirmed. We have the adjustable suspension in the package, because we have a rather steep driveway, and I have hit too many parking lot curb bumpers in low cars before. I know that I can program the car to raise as the speed decreases.

But I found a thread saying that an owner parked his MS, then the car lowered itself down till it was sitting on the curb bumper, which caused damage as he backed out of the slot. Can you set the system to stay in the high position after shutdown, or does it always lower when the car is off?

Thanks

My car actually remembers where (based on GPS) to raise the suspension.
And it remains raised until I exit my parking garage at work.

If I drive by that location (or a denoted similar location) at a higher rate of speed (not intending to actually park), the car beeps and issues a warning.

The only downside is when I have a loaner, I forget to raise the suspension, and the car scrapes bottom at the ramp.
Whoops!

You should be fine, (unless you drive a loaner and forget).

Totally love the air suspension. It remembers to raise itself approaching my driveway (very high), at work (high), and the local grocery store speed bumps (high). Also, set to low at 55+ mph. And you get the cool 007 Easter egg by entering 007!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 72
Just as a data point: My Signature S would *sometimes* lower onto the curb. It would take a second or two as the car powered up to air up the shocks again, and it would raise. But if you jumped in, hit Reverse, and pedaled backward, the front end would s-c-r-a-p-e off the curb.

I haven't noticed it doing that with the 90D. This may have been one of those 20 improvements a week that Tesla had to build into new hardware.

I picked up my new MS 90D two weeks ago and the GPS based air suspension works very well (as described by others). I too have a steep driveway at home. As I approach my street, about 100 yards from my house, the car raises itself and stays that way until I leave my house, at about the same location. There are several parking lots and shopping areas with high parking barriers, so I use the air suspension to automatically raise any time I go to one of my set shopping locations. I think you'll be pleased with the functionality. Enjoy your Tesla!

I picked up my new MS 90D two weeks ago and the GPS based air suspension works very well (as described by others). I too have a steep driveway at home. As I approach my street, about 100 yards from my house, the car raises itself and stays that way until I leave my house, at about the same location. There are several parking lots and shopping areas with high parking barriers, so I use the air suspension to automatically raise any time I go to one of my set shopping locations. I think you'll be pleased with the functionality. Enjoy your Tesla!

Thanks Moneesh. We are looking forward to it.

If you regularly pull forward into a parking space and stop when then wheels hit the berm, then I'm going to suggest that you change your habits. Others have reported that their cars lowered after parking, and software changes regularly, so there is a non-zero chance that it could happen to you. It only takes once to rip off the underside of the bumper, which a friend of mine has done. There are two good alternatives to use instead of "nose in until it stops."
1. Back in using the camera and lines. Seriously, this car is easier to park backwards than forwards. When the berm disappears from view, stop. If you continue, then it will bend the rubber fins that direct airflow by the rear wheels.
2. When nosing in, look under your outside (door) mirror for the berm in the next space over to appear. As soon as you can see it, stop. This will leave the nose of your car in the clear. With a little practice you can do it even without a clear view of the space next door.

Reactions: Moneesh
If you regularly pull forward into a parking space and stop when then wheels hit the berm, then I'm going to suggest that you change your habits. Others have reported that their cars lowered after parking, and software changes regularly, so there is a non-zero chance that it could happen to you. It only takes once to rip off the underside of the bumper, which a friend of mine has done. There are two good alternatives to use instead of "nose in until it stops."
1. Back in using the camera and lines. Seriously, this car is easier to park backwards than forwards. When the berm disappears from view, stop. If you continue, then it will bend the rubber fins that direct airflow by the rear wheels.
2. When nosing in, look under your outside (door) mirror for the berm in the next space over to appear. As soon as you can see it, stop. This will leave the nose of your car in the clear. With a little practice you can do it even without a clear view of the space next door.

Thanks, I was thinking backing in is the way to go. But the one who must be obeyed isn't as comfortable backing in. I'll tell her about your mirror line up cue, and hope she can keep it clean and shiny.

or, if your garage has a roof, just do a tennis ball set up...i.e.:

get a friend to keep watch for you whilst you back your car in etc, until it's at it's ideal stopping point without the wheels hitting stoppers. get a tennie ball and thread a fishing wire thru it, then attach it to the ceiling in a way, so that the tennis ball just touches the windshield (or rear hatch window). from now on, you just have to back your car into the spot until the car touches the tennis ball. voila!