Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen videos on youtube where driving in always low will chew up the tread on the inside of the tire really fast. Look up the video. I have not had my vehicle yet but I plan to drive in Standard or High. I may turn it to auto when driving long distance.

I've seen videos on youtube where driving in always low will chew up the tread on the inside of the tire really fast. Look up the video. I have not had my vehicle yet but I plan to drive in Standard or High. I may turn it to auto when driving long distance.
Just to be clear, on the X "Very Low" is the lowest setting, while on the S "Low" is the lowest. That being said, yes, the lower you go you should expect the inside (especially on the rear tires) to wear more quickly. Although, I can't imagine the difference between "Standard" and "High" to change the wear much.

Cheers!

On a new Model X with AP2 and not much working yet, here are the options:

IMG_0003.JPG

And I figured out why it defaults to low based on this setting:

IMG_0002.jpg

I'm not sure why it is LOW and not STANDARD.

Any ideas why LOW would be the default?

No idea if it's the default, or someone at the showroom set it that way. However, LOW is more aerodynamic, so it should help with range. The disadvantage is premature and uneven tire wear.

I am having this same issue so glad to see how to fix it. I want to keep mine in very low because I love the looks and could care less about tires.

I was also told that you can change the height to low/standard when approaching a speed bump or curb and the Tesla will geolocate and raise the next time you're at this spot. Any truth to this?

I am having this same issue so glad to see how to fix it. I want to keep mine in very low because I love the looks and could care less about tires.

I was also told that you can change the height to low/standard when approaching a speed bump or curb and the Tesla will geolocate and raise the next time you're at this spot. Any truth to this?
What you heard is absolutely correct. I have mine set to very high at store parking lots to avoid impressions from parking blocks.

Reactions: Awdpwr
Being a rural MX owner, I have spent way too much time on this setting. My DS said it will kick into low at 70 mph, no matter how this is set. So I changed always to 55 mph. I am thinking of changing it to 65 mph because the roads in Wisconsin are terrible.
The geo-location is amazing. At the start of my gravel driveway, it goes very high and stays there till I leave my driveway. On my way home from work, I sometimes stop at a nature center. It automatically raises upon entering the gravel parking lot. Upon leaving the lot, it automatically kicks it down to standard.
I use very low when I pick-up my elderly father-in-law. Every inch counts and this is the easiest car to chauffeur him around with. He thinks the car is amazing. If it ever does fully drive itself, he wants one.

Reactions: vrykolas
Always fascinated by people asking questions here rather than pick up the owners manual. Although, I admit I am such a nerd that I downloaded and read the manual prior to picking up my Model X last month.

I don't have the book in front of me for specific numbers, but all suspension settings have a maximum speed. So like... very high drops to high after 30km/h. High drops to standard at 60km/h. Standard is adjustable (as you've discovered) but drops to low at 80km/h as a default. Very Low must be manually selected.

I've also read about the uneven tire wear but understood that was restricted to the very low setting. I think 'low' is still safe for tires.

IMG_1740.JPG

View attachment 206144

View attachment 206145

I found this while messing with the car yesterday after washing it. Now I keep my air suspension at Standard and have the car change it to low when I'm above 50+ miles.
50+ is the lowest setting. I figured at that point I'm on a highway. So this will automatically change the suspension based on speed. Not sure if people knew. I thought it was only always or never option.

Attachments

• IMG_1740.JPG
    IMG_1740.JPG
    372.1 KB · Views: 44
View attachment 210451

I found this while messing with the car yesterday after washing it. Now I keep my air suspension at Standard and have the car change it to low when I'm above 50+ miles.
50+ is the lowest setting. I figured at that point I'm on a highway. So this will automatically change the suspension based on speed. Not sure if people knew. I thought it was only always or never option.

Yep I found this too. Works well. Standard on local roads. Low on highway.