Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension Removed for 75/75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't like Tesla's AS. I like firmer suspension and Tesla's AS, which I have driven over a weekend for several hundred miles, feels more wobbly than regular springs. I really don't like wobbly feeling... For a sedan, I much more prefer the firmer yet not harsh suspensions of PASM without AS on Panamera or Msport suspension on a 5 series. Tesla's standard springs are much closer to those. I view AS as a negative value option. Of course this is a matter of opinion.

I would have cancelled my order if the Tesla guy had not suggested we try a car with SAS. I am usually very anti-pneumatic suspension, since it usually makes the car feel less connected to the road. However, both MSs I test drove with non-SAS suspension had extremely poor ride, with the car entering some sort of a resonance at about 80 mph. The SAS equipped MS drives really well, assuming tire pressures are kept exactly at 45. It is still nowhere near as good as a BMW or Mercedes but it is good enough. I feel that SAS is an absolute must have option on MS.

Reactions: Jashev and Gur814
I would have cancelled my order if the Tesla guy had not suggested we try a car with SAS. I am usually very anti-pneumatic suspension, since it usually makes the car feel less connected to the road. However, both MSs I test drove with non-SAS suspension had extremely poor ride, with the car entering some sort of a resonance at about 80 mph. The SAS equipped MS drives really well, assuming tire pressures are kept exactly at 45. It is still nowhere near as good as a BMW or Mercedes but it is good enough. I feel that SAS is an absolute must have option on MS.

Very interesting. Basically ride comfort is purely a matter of personal opinion. Both my wife and I think the spring coils ride really well. We both hate wobbly feeling and both of us feel the AS is wobbly while adding nothing to ride comfort. Again, this is a matter of opinion.

After driving an AS car for a weekend over 200+ miles, we both agreed that AS would be of negative value to us (wobbly feels bad and is not more comfortable).

Last edited:
I have coils and got an air loaner... Much smoother ride on small bumps on straightaways, but coils have better feel when pushing thru corners.

I much prefer the ride stability of coils as well. You can definitely feel more sway in the AS particularly on fast corners -- the system just isnt' fast enough to compensate for hard driving as it tends to produce a softer ride.

I do wish there were more lowering options for coils.

Since I don't think we take many fast corners in our general driving, having a suspension that handles the potholes and rough pavement on the roads out here is much more important to us. We're very happy with our SAS. We also use the lowering/raising adjustments where we drive so big plus IMO. For some reason people out here like to put in lots of high speed bumps and dipped entrances to shopping centers and residential driveways.

If they've taken away suspension choice now for buyers, not much you can do about it. Kind of like how they've limited the interior choices you have. While it might have been nice to get a little price break on our 75D, have to say we're happy we were able to get the options we did when we ordered (included power lift gate and the ventilated seats I love). Best advice is if you think you will be happy with the present options, just order then. You never know what will happen down the road in color, battery, price, options.

Last edited:
Very interesting. Basically ride comfort is purely a matter of personal opinion. Both my wife and I think the spring coils ride really well. We both hate wobbly feeling and both of us feel the AS is wobbly while adding nothing to ride comfort. Again, this is a matter of opinion.

After driving an AS car for a weekend over 200+ miles, we both agreed that AS would be of negative value to us (wobbly feels bad and is not more comfortable).
Not true. Do you live on So Cal? Have you driven the coil car over miles of expansion joints and other small imperfections? If you live in a state with good roads I'll grant you the cars feel similar and the coils have better road feel.

There are many that feel that way. I have driven thousands of miles with air and 20k miles without air and I'm sticking to my guns on the coils. In fact, wheel size has a much larger impact on road feel than air vs coil IMO.
I'll grant you the coils handle better and are the choice for sport driving. I'm talking merely comfort over small road imperfections - the air soaks them up. It does however degrade handling I admit.

Reactions: Gur814
Haha, Calisnow and Jelloslug, I happen to know what you are both talking about. I grew up in SoCal and currently live on the NC/SC border and frequently (few times a year) drive down to Atl and charge in Greenville SC. Ya Greenville SC road is particularly bad, made even worse with all those ongoing repairs, but hopefully will be better after the repairs are completed. In general, SC highway, say from CLT to Hilton Head or Charleston is generally better than CA highway, either in the LA area or bay area (lots of potholes in bay area...).

I still frequently visit SoCal and was just there for a week last Thanksgiving. I kinda have to say the expansion joints are worse than the current condition in Greenville. Ya so I see your point.

It is surprising. I'm thinking all these changes to streamline ordering is due to the Model 3 going into production soon. Less choices make for quicker processing I'm guessing. Will be interesting (or not) to see how all three models get through the production lines. With other vehicles announced down the road I wonder if having more of a choice on their more expensive Model S & X lines will ever make a comeback. I personally liked that we had all the choices we did when we ordered at end of year, especially for what to us was an expensive car.

Before finalizing hubby debated if he wanted to spend the extra for the 90D since we don't drive long distance much and didn't go the 90D route in the end, but he was torn about it. If the SAS wasn't available on our 75D it might have pushed him in the other direction.

Reactions: mdevp
Before finalizing hubby debated if he wanted to spend the extra for the 90D since we don't drive long distance much and didn't go the 90D route in the end, but he was torn about it. If the SAS wasn't available on our 75D it might have pushed him in the other direction.
Exactly, just like you're hubby my brother was thinking about getting a 75D after his lease is up shortly. He drives short distances too and has no need for the 90D. He really liked his air susp. on his Merc but I just talked to him today and he actually doesn't like the stance of the coils and he likes that I can adjust my air susp. I don't think he's going to get the 75D now, but he's torn b/c he really likes the free glass roof and power liftgate now.

• Funny
Reactions: SMAlset