Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension Required on S100D after April 24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Performance bump on 100D / P100D? Speculating but the price increase doesn't make much sense to me unless SOMETHING is changing. Pretty sure they are software limited at the 4.2 seconds 0-60. Requiring air suspension would make sense if they bumped up acceleration below 4 secs.

You heard it here first.

I'm curious when do people use their Air suspension? We have this on our X, but rarely use it or change from default settings.

I used it entering/exiting a steep driveway. But my other car is a E63 AMG that sits low, so I am used to hitting the driveway at an angle to prevent scraping the bottom. The air suspension is always working, however. When I hit the highway, it automatically drops to LOW.

That's interesting about the SAS. Guess it is being "reserved" for use so to speak for the higher end series S. We ordered our 75D with it back in December but understand it's no longer available as an option on that model.

As to what one uses it for, we use it quite a bit. Our driveway for one. All the houses in our area are on an incline above the street level. A number of towns have put honking big speed bumps in the downtown areas as a "traffic calming" device. In our local driving a number of shopping centers have the speed bumps installed too, some much higher than others, the local post office and a number of shopping centers also have sharp dips from the road to the entrance and it's helpful there too. All easy to spot as you can see the nicks in the driveway surface from all the cars bottoming out. Nice thing is you can program the height adjustment once for that area and it remembers through GPS where that was and adjust in the future. I know it has other uses in deep snow and such but we don't get snow here so can't speak to that.

With a larger battery size I guess the bump to 72A charger as standard makes sense to shorten the recharge time.

Last edited:
Performance bump on 100D / P100D? Speculating but the price increase doesn't make much sense to me unless SOMETHING is changing. Pretty sure they are software limited at the 4.2 seconds 0-60. Requiring air suspension would make sense if they bumped up acceleration below 4 secs.

You heard it here first.

What doesn't make much sense is that you can get 41 miles of range for an extra $5000. 100D is on sale until April 24...

We've had the air suspension on our 4 year old S P85 and included it in our month old S 100D.

The car lowers automatically at highway speeds - which might provide a small range increase.

At lower speeds, we will raise the car when approaching curbs for parking, when driving over large speed bumps, and if we see water on streets (during heavy rains)

It looks like air suspension is still an optional feature for the S 100Ds. Tesla has bundled the all glass roof (used to be a $1500 option) and power rear liftgate (used to be part of the PUP option) in the base price.

I priced out our month old S 100D and found the new purchase price would be about the same, except we would get the 72A charger for free (we only ordered the 48A charger).