Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is basic engineering paired with physics. It's a great topic to go do some design research on. I, myself, typically don't deal in perceived differences, seat of the pants, feels like, or any other unsubstantiated data. It requires a specific minimum air pressure to support the weight of the car. Once this pressure is achieved (assuming the air bag is not already expanded to the limit of it's optimal max volume shape) additional air primarily adds to the volume. The minute amount of additional air pressure is attributed to what's needed to change the shape of the bag as it nears max volume shape. As long as you aren't going to the extremes which starts to limit your total travel, the ride quality remains the same because the spring rate stays nearly the same. Spring rate plays just as much a factor in ride quality as dampening rates do. Again, you don't "have to lower the pressure quite a bit just to get a change height". The RAM1500 is a prime example of this. It's driving modes can adjust ride height by as much as 2.5". According to conversation with their engineers, the difference in spring rate between their lowest setting (Aero Mode) and their highest setting (Off-Road 2 Mode) is only 10%.

All that said, if Tesla is pushing their bags to the extreme, and significantly reducing travel to achieve these extremes, that could definitely cause things to feel harsher. The biggest reason people most likely "feel" that the ride is harsher at Very High, could be simply do to the slow speeds they are moving at that setting. At slow speeds, the suspension tends not to move as much, which means that it doesn't absorb as much of the ground impact. At the Low setting, there is a perceived stiffening of the suspension by some, which makes it "feel" harsher to them. The mind is an amazing thing to convince, even when we have data to prove otherwise.

Thanks. I will not be buying the air suspension since it does not improve comfort.

@gowthamn it might be best for you to do a sidexside test at a local facility. "Comfort" is highly subjective and spending $$ based on someone's opinion vs your experience my be regrettable. I have coils and air, and as mentioned several times the primary benefit of the air is to adjust height. It does nothing to absorb varying road conditions. So in essence, you need to compare the pure state of air vs coils. Purists tend to like coils as well as claim they prefer less gadgetry to malfunction, while others tend to believe riding on air (even without true dynamic adjustments) offers a better ride. Only you can decide. ;)

@gowthamn it might be best for you to do a sidexside test at a local facility. "Comfort" is highly subjective and spending $$ based on someone's opinion vs your experience my be regrettable. I have coils and air, and as mentioned several times the primary benefit of the air is to adjust height. It does nothing to absorb varying road conditions. So in essence, you need to compare the pure state of air vs coils. Purists tend to like coils as well as claim they prefer less gadgetry to malfunction, while others tend to believe riding on air (even without true dynamic adjustments) offers a better ride. Only you can decide. ;)

I was told that SAS was not particularly beneficial with 19 inch wheels. It makes some difference with the 21's. I ordered 19 inch, and skipped the SAS. Smooth and quiet. Most demo rides though have 21 inch wheels, so it is easy to notice a change. But don't let that give you too good of an impression.

OK, so you are saying that air does provide a smoother ride than coil but its not because it can change heights? So an air suspension which cannot change heights is still smoother than coil?
Yeah. The air IS smoother than coil. The arguments are about whether or not the different height settings have a further effect of ride comfort. But air suspension is the more comfortable option.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pezpunk and Swift
So does riding low impact camber/caster/toe or no? Please, someone who actually possesses knowledge/experience, not someone who regurgitates what they read on the internet. Not being rude just not into internet myths :)

I think you got a little confused by the derailing tangent. Most folks feel that air suspension is more comfortable than coils. However, with regard to air suspension, adjusting ride height does little or nothing for comfort (unless you are at Very High, which is less comfortable).
Air suspension is better at filtering out road noise since it has much lower mass than a coil spring. The coil spring transmits road noise (especially the higher frequencies) to the chassis because of the inertia of the metal. Air has low mass and low inertia so readily absorbs road noise.

So the answer is "because a lot of people say I dont know say that it does...it does." Sorry, I dont mean to be a jerk, thats just literally the exact thing I said isnt helpful.
I'm pointing out that you're asking internet people with no verifiable skills to tell you something that plenty of internet people with no verifiable skills have told you.

Tesla has their official response to these questions.

You are operating under the premise that all messageboard posters are alike, I guess, and there is no way to validate any information others post?

If you say so. Thanks for the help. Ill wait for someone who has experience, or just call Tesla and report back what they say (which also doesnt = blind truth).

Thanks. I will not be buying the air suspension since it does not improve comfort.
OK, so you are saying that air does provide a smoother ride than coil but its not because it can change heights? So an air suspension which cannot change heights is still smoother than coil?
Yes... When it comes to ride comfort at cruising speeds, the main advantage of SAS is that it maintains constant spring rate (affects harshness), constant ride height (affects available suspension travel), and keeps the vehicle level (affects handling / safety), regardless of how you load the car with cargo and passengers. This all happens without pressing a button. If you rarely put anything in the car other than yourself, the impact is much less. If you carry passengers and cargo with you, the impact is much greater.

As others have pointed out, the ability to change ride height does have some comfort advantages. "Low" makes it easier to load heavy objects in the trunk / frunk. "Very High" makes it easier to get in / out of the car. Etc...

Hey @voltaren , care to contribute to the community by explaining your thumbs down with a better objective perspective?
Oh, no, thats right, you just chose to act in an immature behavior by finding a random post of mine and thumbing it down because I was concurring with the rest of the community in this thread that your accusations were far fetched. Way to contribute intelligently <sarcasm>. I thought this type of behavior only occurred on Facebook...

We're suppose to be here to help educate each other with logic, facts, engineering, and common sense. By thumbing other members' posts down out of spite (yea, I did a trend analysis on who all you thumb down and when), you are taking away from those who are truly coming here to learn and further educate themselves with facts.

Hey @voltaren , care to contribute to the community by explaining your thumbs down with a better objective perspective?
Oh, no, thats right, you just chose to act in an immature behavior by finding a random post of mine and thumbing it down because I was concurring with the rest of the community in this thread that your accusations were far fetched. Way to contribute intelligently <sarcasm>. I thought this type of behavior only occurred on Facebook...

We're suppose to be here to help educate each other with logic, facts, engineering, and common sense. By thumbing other members' posts down out of spite (yea, I did a trend analysis on who all you thumb down and when), you are taking away from those who are truly coming here to learn and further educate themselves with facts.
Unfortunately he isn't the only one. Moderators ignore it. Such is life...

• Disagree
Reactions: voltaren

Are you upset? I don't agree with your post.

• Disagree
Reactions: xyeahtony
When I see people give thumbs down to someone's post, and it's happened to mine a few times, I always wonder what exactly people are disagreeing with. I think if you disagree it would be better to at least follow it up and say why. Many times the posts have multiple points expressed in them so confusing at to what exactly people are disagreeing with. Everyone "gets/understands" a thumbs up but not thumbs down. Make it a conversation and share your opinion. More friendly and social IMO.

Reactions: JohnnyG