Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension tilting when stored?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been having this issue with the Smart Air Suspension in my 2017 Model S lately: When I come downstairs in the morning, the car is leaning over to the side. Like the air has leaked out of the left (drivers) side, but maintained its height on the right.

TeslaTilt.jpg

My driveway's a little steep so I have the SAS set to auto-lift when I get home. It raises itself to "High" position and I usually leave it there overnight, then resets to Standard when I'm driving away in the morning. The problem seems to be more pronounced when it's been parked for longer, like more than a day.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal? Broke? Should I be setting the suspension to Standard or Low when it's parked for longer periods of time? Or should I just take it in for service?

- Matt

Probably should take it in. My 2013 is set to auto high in our garage and it stays there for days at a time. We're at 102k miles now and no issues with the air suspension so far. This was my biggest concern when buying the car 5 years ago when we were forced to order the air suspension to get an earlier delivery date.

I've been having this issue with the Smart Air Suspension in my 2017 Model S lately: When I come downstairs in the morning, the car is leaning over to the side. Like the air has leaked out of the left (drivers) side, but maintained its height on the right.

View attachment 258829

My driveway's a little steep so I have the SAS set to auto-lift when I get home. It raises itself to "High" position and I usually leave it there overnight, then resets to Standard when I'm driving away in the morning. The problem seems to be more pronounced when it's been parked for longer, like more than a day.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal? Broke? Should I be setting the suspension to Standard or Low when it's parked for longer periods of time? Or should I just take it in for service?

- Matt

Almost positive you have a slow leak in the air suspension on the driver side. It's not common, but does happen, especially in the newer Continental suspensions from what I understand. Service has a good way to test for the leak and fix.

I have the same issue on a 2 month old car. Called service 3 days ago - actually called 2 service centers. The first SC has not yet called me back - left a voice mail explaining my problem. The second SC called me in the Evening (yesterday) and told me the tech has not had the time to review my cars logs so we cannot pinpoint the problem. So today I happen to be close to the SC so I personally stopped in but still no answer. He told me once the tech looks at the logs and determines what to do they would order the parts and then call me. I also told them I need to go on a 2500 mile road trip in early January 2018 and would be away a month so a loaner is out of question. Making me rethink my purchase if service is like this. Also had the Jack Mode message on the driver console yesterday. May need to escalate this.

My Model S75D was picked up early this afternoon by the Tow/Delivery service used by The Devon Service Center for further diagnostic and parts replacement. I was brought an older Model S 60 with appx 25,000 plus miles. I also asked them to uncork it while they had it in for suspension work. They tell me it was already uncorked before delivery. Anyway, my Model S 75D feels significantly faster than this Model S 60. So let’s see what tomorrow brings.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus

View attachment 258829

- Matt

I have a 2017 100D 3 months old and experienced the same symptoms recently ~1/10/2018 with the rear driver's side tilted lower than rest of the car. My car was flatbed 2 days later after Service Center remotely reviewed car logs and was told it was unsafe to drive. I was provided a non-Tesla loaner via the flatbed truck. Service Center had the car for one week and they performed the following:

1) Replaced Air Suspension Valve Block (1027919-00-B)
2) Performed UnCorking firmware update per service bulletin
3) Cleaned and lubricated both side view mirror assemblies (one of them was sticky)
4) Wash and Vacuum

I rate the Tesla Service Excellent thus far. Car is driving fine since. We'll see how long that lasts

Hi there, I just bought a used 2012 S that is out of warranty and exhibiting the same behavior. (Lowering of the rear driver side when parked a few days). I'm taking it in for service this weekend. Do you know how much this work would cost? I believe they might document the price on the order form, even for you folks who had the work done under warranty. Thanks!

Hi there, I just bought a used 2012 S that is out of warranty and exhibiting the same behavior. (Lowering of the rear driver side when parked a few days). I'm taking it in for service this weekend. Do you know how much this work would cost? I believe they might document the price on the order form, even for you folks who had the work done under warranty. Thanks!

You most likely have a leak in the air spring. If you do, it's about $1000 installed per air spring.
You can tell by listening in the wheel well after a good rain, you will hear it hissing.

I know this thread is getting old but I have been having a similar issue with my 2017 (with very low kms). First it started off the entire front would drop overnight to the low setting yet the rear stayed high. The SC did some work on the car and replaced some parts but now I have the left front only dropping over night so another visit is in order.
But the thing that I don't understand is how terrible the system operates when these faults happen. You have a situation where the car is dangerous to drive (particularly the original posters photo) and yet there is no warning at all to the driver. The system knows the heights of each corner, when it detects such a massive difference how is going to in 'Jack mode' and not even informing the driver of this the way to handle it? In these situations when the height difference is detected something like 'service suspension' should come up on the cluster, a warning the car is set to Jack mode should happen too. In my situation for now just taking it out of Jack mode before I drive fixes it as the car will then automatically raise all four corners to equal height....but I have to remember every time to do this.
As much as Tesla set the bar higher for technology in some areas, in others they are way too lapse and in this case I think the way the air suspension system handles fault conditions is dangerous.

I know this is old thread, but it seems exactly as my issue.

I have similar as OP, the right side of the car tilts more than the left - not quite as much as the OPs, but it is noticable. But after turning on car, it levels up and stays up during driving - so I assumed there is nothing wrong until now.

Can i do some own diagnostics, I have obd adapter and SMT...