Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension - what does it do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I got the car I imagined the air suspension keeping the car level in turns, and doing other wonderful shock-absorbing things. However, if you've ever raised/lowered the car you'll know it takes several seconds to operate. What could it possibly do while driving with that slow a response? I'm sure I hear it sometimes while driving, e.g. when going up a hill, but of course I don't know for sure just from a sound.

So does the air suspension ever do anything dynamic while driving, besides lowering at high speed?

Before I got the car I imagined the air suspension keeping the car level in turns, and doing other wonderful shock-absorbing things. However, if you've ever raised/lowered the car you'll know it takes several seconds to operate. What could it possibly do while driving with that slow a response? I'm sure I hear it sometimes while driving, e.g. when going up a hill, but of course I don't know for sure just from a sound.

So does the air suspension ever do anything dynamic while driving, besides lowering at high speed?

If the car were level while taking a turn, it would look awfully funny...

I used mine today to raise the car when we were routed onto the dirt shoulder for a few miles due to chip seal being laid down. While I did not raise my speed, being in high did lower my stress.

If the car were level while taking a turn, it would look awfully funny...
you might want to pass your opinion on to Lotus ... they developed an active suspension system in the 80's to make their cars go flat through corners, and they cornered so well and gained such a competitive advantage that Formula 1 banned their use

- - - Updated - - -

Before I got the car I imagined the air suspension keeping the car level in turns, and doing other wonderful shock-absorbing things.
there is such a system as you describe, however that's called an "active suspension" ... McLaren uses it on the MP4 ... it's computer operated, adjusting each corner individually via hydraulics ... cornering flat allows you to carry the most speed through a corner, with the most traction and control