Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension Woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed creaking sounds when I'd go over bumps, especially at low speeds. No alerts or warnings, and other than the creaks the car seemed to drive just fine... (The issue ended up being the front control arm on the right side. I don't know more detail than that, but they told me it's a problem they'd only expect to see on much older cars.)

Interesting. I was having the exact same thing probably close to a year ago. I made an appointment, but by the time the car went in, it had stopped doing it. They did an inspection and couldn't see anything wrong in my case.

Big events (speed bump) at extreme limits (hard turn) making a clunk or whatever... You might have heard a rubber stop being hit that'd you'd never come close to experiencing on the road, unless you dropped a wheel into a pothole or struck an object so large that... you'd hear other sounds over your suspension reaching its limits. Like a wheel shattering, or animal body hitting your car body, etc.

Does this one fit into the category of "the car is so quiet you'll hear sounds that you'd not normally notice in ICE cars, but they're there too"?

Last edited:
New update for you all. SHE !!!(because she is a lovely girl) is driving like a dream. No problems at all and raising/lowering at geo spots perfectly and very quickly. I did notice when I got the emailed service records, FWIW, that they also replace my Bosch iBooster and the brake switch proactively, with only 2,500 mi. I sensed no problems with braking and they continue to be fine. Good on Tesla! The service was perfect, outstanding and unparalleled.

I can add two issues I've had with air suspension. But I'll start by saying it wasn't nearly as bad as TDial's issue and I never had to be towed/flatbedded, and I'm very glad I have the air suspension as it has saved me a number of times from bottoming out.

First issue was late June / early July, about a week before a 600-mile trip, I noticed creaking sounds when I'd go over bumps, especially at low speeds. No alerts or warnings, and other than the creaks the car seemed to drive just fine. It started getting worse a day or two before the trip, so I called the Rockville service center and asked them to at least tell me if it was safe to drive long-distance. They agreed to take a quick look the next day even though they're normally backed up several weeks. After they took an initial look, they said it would be safe to drive but they wanted to go ahead and repair it before my trip anyway. The only problem: I was scheduled to leave that afternoon! Well, they put me in an Enterprise rental, so I took that home and packed it up for the trip. Rockville finished my car just in time, so I transferred all the luggage over and left the rental with them before heading up to NJ. Amazing service! (The issue ended up being the front control arm on the right side. I don't know more detail than that, but they told me it's a problem they'd only expect to see on much older cars.)

Second issue was about a month ago, on a short late-evening trip. The suspension was stuck in High for the entire 10-15 minutes (but otherwise the car was driving fine), and there was an alert on the dashboard to call Tesla service. They were closed so I called roadside assistance. They were unable to connect to my car for some reason, so they left a message for Rockville. Then, no alert or any other problem when I got back into my car an hour later to go home, and no other suspension issues since then. Rockville ended up looking at it ~2 weeks ago during my annual service but couldn't find any problems.

My car wasn't built at the very end of a quarter, and the creaking suspension is by far the most serious issue I've had with it. Generally, the way I see it, no company is perfect -- there will always be flaws with any product or service at some point -- but what distinguishes a great company from a merely good (or bad) one is how they handle things when they do go wrong. By that measure, Tesla gets an A+ from me based on my own experience.

@paulkva: I'm starting to also hear these loud creaking noises from my front left air suspension, and I am going to call the service center about it. But I'm curious what the issue with it was. Did they replace the suspension in that location you heard the creaking? At first I wasn't sure if it was the cold. I never heard it in California where it was warmer, but now I suspect it has to be something more than the cold. I don't hear it in any of the other locations (front right, or either rear side).

@paulkva: I'm starting to also hear these loud creaking noises from my front left air suspension, and I am going to call the service center about it. But I'm curious what the issue with it was. Did they replace the suspension in that location you heard the creaking? At first I wasn't sure if it was the cold. I never heard it in California where it was warmer, but now I suspect it has to be something more than the cold. I don't hear it in any of the other locations (front right, or either rear side).

Here's the relevant info from my invoice. Looks like they replaced the front control arm on the right side? Not sure if I'm reading that correctly. I'm pretty sure the issue wasn't the cold for me because it happened in late June, although it's possible that a wide variation in temperature over time could have contributed to it. (To be clear, I have no idea -- that's pure speculation on my part.) The service rep did tell me it's a problem he'd only expect to see on a MUCH older car.

Corrections: Front Control Arm - Front - Lower - RH
Part Quantity
FR SUSP AFT LINK ASSY (6007997-00-B) 1
WASHER, NORDLOCK, 15.2x30.7x3.4 (1033093-00-A) 2
NUT HFPT M14x1.50 [10] ZnAl-W (1004358-00-B) 2
Parts Replaced or Added
Corrections: Battery Assembly (Remove and Install)
Corrections: Four Wheel Alignment (with Air Suspension)
Pay Type: Warranty

Whatever it is, I'm confident your service center will take care of it. :)

I occasionally heard something like this and eventually figured it out. I would hear it at the bottom of a hill, where the rainwater dip was bad enough that I'd set the suspension to automatically go to very high. When the light is red, I'd sit there, facing downhill with my foot lightly on the brake, as the suspension raised. For some reason it doesn't seem to raise all four wheels at the same time (maybe because more of the weight is on the front wheels). So the rear raises first, I hear a little bit of creaking, then the front raises and I hear some more. The reason is simply that the distance between the tire contact points changes ever so slightly, so the rear brakes were being forced to creep.

I noticed creaking sounds when I'd go over bumps, especially at low speeds. No alerts or warnings, and other than the creaks the car seemed to drive just fine. It started getting worse a day or two before the trip, so I called the Rockville service center and asked them to at least tell me if it was safe to drive long-distance. (The issue ended up being the front control arm on the right side. I don't know more detail than that, but they told me it's a problem they'd only expect to see on much older cars.)

Good to know, I've had the same problem for several months coming from driver's side front. Took a tech on a ride along and he said it sounded like a bushing, but nothing serious, so I've been driving on it. It has definitely gotten worse since, any up and down motion from the front end under 25 mph and I can hear the creaking. Dropping it off next week to get that and a couple of things looked at.

I wouldn't trade the air suspension for anything, regardless of how troublesome. I always wanted a Citroën DS for its aerodynamics and suspension and never could afford one. The Tesla suspension is much more taut and sporty, an added bonus. But it can't lift one wheel up to change a tire like the DS could ;=)

My car was returned to me and the service advisor said it was the same control arm issue noted above (I had sent him the service description), but I haven't yet gotten the official paperwork.

This doesn't seem to be directly related to the air suspension. Bouncing the bumper replicated the noise, but it was easiest to hear when raising or lowering the suspension.

Does anyone know what the tolerances are for level on the air suspension? I measure a 1/4" difference in ride height across the rear when measuring from ground to top of wheel well. The car looks visibly off level from the rear.

Me too. Very unscientific, but I could insert 3 fingers between the top of the rear wheel and fender on one side, but only two on the other. Prior to this, I had noticed the car seemed a little lower on one side and for the longest time, just assumed one wheel was in a little rut or something where I parked. I mentioned it to Service. They reported back that when they measured it from the chassis it was level, but due to manufacturing tolerances, the "body" could be off by a bit. Here is the report I got back, but in writing, they just say everything is okay.

5-11-2015 9-21-13 AM.jpg

Me too. Very unscientific, but I could insert 3 fingers between the top of the rear wheel and fender on one side, but only two on the other. Prior to this, I had noticed the car seemed a little lower on one side and for the longest time, just assumed one wheel was in a little rut or something where I parked. I mentioned it to Service. They reported back that when they measured it from the chassis it was level, but due to manufacturing tolerances, the "body" could be off by a bit. Here is the report I got back, but in writing, they just say everything is okay.

View attachment 80753

I'm going to get adjustable links.

Primarily because I want the front down a bit.

But they will give adjustability on all corners, of course... to level it out perfectly.

Mine is going in for something similar next week. Front of the car is 1 inch lower than the rear as measured in the wheel wells. Air compressor also runs excessively even if car is in standard height and let's out a "poof" noise periodically as if it's releasing excess pressure. Really odd.