Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone pick up details on the air suspension (loading "kneel" level) or actually see it raise or lower itself?
Was there any evidence of actual off-road traction modes for SUV purposes (sand, snow, mud, rock-crawling, boat ramp mode) or suspension modes like a maximum clearance mode, hill descent or climb speed control?
I hope that Tesla hasn't neglected to include at least the basics of utility. I assume the rump will load level of course, but hopefully it also has a plush mode for San Francisco's network of interconnected potholes.

Does the Model X have GPS location on suspension? where it remembers the location to raise or lower. The model S just got that, wondering if the Model X has that also.

Definitely saw somewhere that it does. They specifically talked about a steep driveway threshold and that it would automatically raise based on the GPS coordinates.

**** Didn't see Vogel's post when I wrote mine

From memory, the levels are very low, low, normal, high, very high. I usually drive at normal. The car automatically lowers at an adjustable preset speed for aerodynamics. It will also remember the location where you adjust the height and automatically adjust to that height. I have it change to high in my work parking lot because of speed bumps (probably not necessary) and high sidewalk curbs.

Does the Model X have GPS location on suspension? where it remembers the location to raise or lower. The model S just got that, wondering if the Model X has that also.

Yes it has GPS location. I use it to raise the suspension to high when we get close to pulling in on our dirt road. Works every time. I have it set to return to LOW whenever speed reaches 50 MPH, so I don't ever have to return it to LOW after leaving.

Ron
Sig X VIN #484

From memory, the levels are very low, low, normal, high, very high. I usually drive at normal. The car automatically lowers at an adjustable preset speed for aerodynamics. It will also remember the location where you adjust the height and automatically adjust to that height. I have it change to high in my work parking lot because of speed bumps (probably not necessary) and high sidewalk curbs.
So many of the MX is automatic that we loose the purpose of the adjustments. Frankly, I do not know when I would need to use 'very high' or for that matter 'standard' and 'high' When I received the vehicle it was set at 'low' and was told that it was the recommended setting.

Sometimes I think that a 'How to use Tesla' class would be a good idea. Maybe TMC could have one.

I use the high and very low settings when washing the car. Very low makes it easier to reach the roof and windshield and highest makes it easier to wash the rocker panels. On a similar note I've been experimenting on the highway and it seems that very low increases Wh/Mi compared to low. Maybe that's why TM recommends LOW for highway driving and not very low.

• Informative
Reactions: F123456
I use the high and very low settings when washing the car. Very low makes it easier to reach the roof and windshield and highest makes it easier to wash the rocker panels. On a similar note I've been experimenting on the highway and it seems that very low increases Wh/Mi compared to low. Maybe that's why TM recommends LOW for highway driving and not very low.

And also because very-low is more prone to hitting road debris that could cause battery damage.

My S eats tires like there's no tomorrow with air suspension. I opted for coil on my X 75 but am now heavily considering pulling the trigger and spending to change it to air. I don't really use the low string in my S because the camber is so bad.

Is it the same for the X with the negative camber? The lower you go, the more pronounced it is and how bad does it show?

If anyone can take a picture of different heights and tire look from the back, certainly be appreciated.

If so, I may stick to coil on this one. Though I've been thinking about it for weeks now.

My S eats tires like there's no tomorrow with air suspension. I opted for coil on my X 75 but am now heavily considering pulling the trigger and spending to change it to air. I don't really use the low string in my S because the camber is so bad.

Is it the same for the X with the negative camber? The lower you go, the more pronounced it is and how bad does it show?

If anyone can take a picture of different heights and tire look from the back, certainly be appreciated.

If so, I may stick to coil on this one. Though I've been thinking about it for weeks now.
What size tires do you have in your S? I didn't know air suspension affected tire wear. I think 21 inch tires wear substantially quicker than the standard 19 inch. Although I like the look of the 21s.

I have 21's on it. I had a flat one day and pulled out my car air compressor and started airing the tires.
Following day, flat Again. aired it up and saw the belts.

So much tread on the outside but the inside belts were showing on the inside.

the negative camber is very pronounced even on standard setting. The camber is so negative combined with 4000+ lbs., coupled with a maximum torque at 1000 rpm's just shreds those tires.

My friend with 19's has over 20,000 miles on his and has no problems. He has coil suspension too. I Never looked at his camber.

This is obviously for grip and handling. But the tradeoff is that you have faster tire wear.

On the X, I have a 75d coIilover on 20's ordered. I am of the kind that does not like wheel gap. However the X is more an suv than a car. So I'm on the fence and thinking about changing to air suspension and pay the $500 change fee. I'd liked to be talked out of it and keep the coil overs. $3000 I can use towards my model 3 :)

Last edited:
Yup. I'm so confused why there wasn't more interest in those adjustable camber control arms on the S. As many more cars get out of warranty I would suspect demand increase for those.

The model x may not be more pronounced but when suspension lowers the camber still has to go negative.