Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S keeps suspension on standard. It has an option to keep it low at all times. Below the screen you can set the suspension to low after a certain speed. Perhaps yours is low indefinitely. Take a look at that and set the low at a much higher speed as standard setting SHOULD be the norm.

Definitely saw somewhere that it does. They specifically talked about a steep driveway threshold and that it would automatically raise based on the GPS coordinates.

And the car learns REALLY fast! the turn from the main drag to the secondary road (a well traveled 45 mph road) has a steep change between the east and west lanes. After only one pass through that intersection, the car did the change from low to high on its own. Nice little note on the dash comes up to say "raising car due to location" Car even knows the difference between backing into the driveway (when it needs to be up higher) and coming in front first (when low is fine). WOW!

And the car learns REALLY fast! the turn from the main drag to the secondary road (a well traveled 45 mph road) has a steep change between the east and west lanes. After only one pass through that intersection, the car did the change from low to high on its own. Nice little note on the dash comes up to say "raising car due to location" Car even knows the difference between backing into the driveway (when it needs to be up higher) and coming in front first (when low is fine). WOW!
Wait. On it's own? How did it know if you didn't set the height for that intersection? Is it using setting logged by others?

What's the point of Very Low suspension setting? Other than when washing the car I mean. Does anyone use it while driving?
I use it when I drive to lower the center of gravity and improve the cornering capabilities by reducing body roll. Plus I gain efficiency by reducing drag caused from air going under the chassis.

When I park, I keep it on low to prevent cats and dogs from finding a resting place under the car.

It improves the aerodynamics and efficiency at higher speeds. You can set it to automatically lower at a speed you set.

Can someone experiment with this? On a level strip of highway with cruise control on, check the Whm at the low setting and at the very low setting. I read something a while back that very low does not work at highway speeds, and may possibly decrease efficiency?

Can someone experiment with this? On a level strip of highway with cruise control on, check the Whm at the low setting and at the very low setting. I read something a while back that very low does not work at highway speeds, and may possibly decrease efficiency?
Tesla say it improves efficiency. I'm sure they have measured this under controlled conditions. Any random person testing this probably won't be able to control variables as well and will probably end up with different results.

Tesla say it improves efficiency. I'm sure they have measured this under controlled conditions. Any random person testing this probably won't be able to control variables as well and will probably end up with different results.
Tesla specifies a Low ride height when at highway speeds, so unless you manually change it to very low you will not get this added benefit they are claiming. I'm just trying to quantify it. The same thing is going on in the what's your 90% thread. Real world data from users (in controlled situations) helps substantiate claims of greater efficiency and so on. Wh/mile will either be higher, lower or the same as soon as you make the change manually from low to very low on the same grade of highway at constant speed, albeit winds may affect it slightly but over a decent length of road it would average out. Not necessarily comparing one driver to the other, same car same condition, only ride height is variable. We should see some interesting results since I doubt most owners are "manually" selecting very low.

Tesla specifies a Low ride height when at highway speeds, so unless you manually change it to very low you will not get this added benefit they are claiming. I'm just trying to quantify it. The same thing is going on in the what's your 90% thread. Real world data from users (in controlled situations) helps substantiate claims of greater efficiency and so on. Wh/mile will either be higher, lower or the same as soon as you make the change manually from low to very low on the same grade of highway at constant speed, albeit winds may affect it slightly but over a decent length of road it would average out. Not necessarily comparing one driver to the other, same car same condition, only ride height is variable. We should see some interesting results since I doubt most owners are "manually" selecting very low.
My air suspension is set at "Standard" height and I have the option to have it automatically go to "Low" above a certain speed (currently set to 55). It doesn't require manual intervention.
Next time I'm on a relatively straight and flat freeway section, I'll take a look at changing it. (Unfortunately, here in the mountains straight and flat roads are rare... I'll have to wait until I go down to the valley.)

My air suspension is set at "Standard" height and I have the option to have it automatically go to "Low" above a certain speed (currently set to 55). It doesn't require manual intervention.
Next time I'm on a relatively straight and flat freeway section, I'll take a look at changing it. (Unfortunately, here in the mountains straight and flat roads are rare... I'll have to wait until I go down to the valley.)
More interested in "very low" at highway speed, most owners don't realize that the "very low" setting requires you to manually select it everytime you drive the car, and that is what I'm curious about. No mountains here in south FL would be an ideal place to test this since roads here are very level for miles. I always see camouflaged vehicles with Michigan Manufacturer plates on alligator ally road testing.

Last edited:
Reactions: loganintx
Question:
I have air suspension. I haven't changed it from standard. It's not set to go lower. I fear that lowering would change the camber on my 21in tires which would cause the inside to wear out faster. Am I wrong?

Question:
I have air suspension. I haven't changed it from standard. It's not set to go lower. I fear that lowering would change the camber on my 21in tires which would cause the inside to wear out faster. Am I wrong?
Since you have 21" you probably have a MS not X, the very low setting is only available on the MX air suspension and I assume it reverts back to standard/low for the very reason you mention (camber wear). I'm just curious how much they differ in efficiency. Might be useful when extra range is needed.