Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering, why would you not always keep the car in Very High? As soon as you get up to freeway speeds, the car is doing to lower itself to the same level, right?

Because it's manual and you have to remember to do it. Lots of people have requested a new software feature that links suspension height to a given GPS location, sort of like how the newer revs use GPS to pop up the Homelink dropdown when you get close to home.

Because it's manual and you have to remember to do it.

This probably belongs in another thread, but then isn't the problem that Model S doesn't retain your desired suspension setting from driving session to driving session?

I never understood why Tesla doesn't do the Citroen thing and always raise the car up all the way when it's parked. It's not like any patent they had hasn't long ago expired.

But, then I don't understand why the car has to have settings. Seems like everyone would want a higher suspension at low speeds, even if just to avoid possible scraping from curbs, speed bumps, etc. What they might differ on is how high it should be at freeway speeds, but I don't think any of the settings affect that, right?

Leaving The Air Suspension Set To "Very High" Overnight?

Our home is built into a bank and to get in the garage I have to go down a steep driveway. When I exit, I have actually slightly nicked the underside of the vehicle when the back tires go through a low spot at the transition point of the driveway to the road. to avoid this, thanks to the air suspension, it's really quite simple and fast to bump it up to the "Very High" position. When I come home for the night, the easy thing to do is just leave it in that position and get out of the car. I have wondered if this puts any undue strain on the shocks to leave them in the high position while parked for long periods. does anyone have a recommendation or a even better, is there anything official about the care of these shocks with respect to leaving the car parked overnight?

The only issue that I've experienced is that you shouldn't do this when it's extremely cold and it's going to warm up. I have pulled into the garage with the suspension set to "very high", and when I get in the car in the morning after being in the warm garage it threw errors saying "suspension too high... call tesla service".

I asked the service center and they suggested it was due to air expansion inside the garage.

The suspension will attempt to adjust to the right levels when you start driving, but I don't know if it will shorten the life of the air shock.

IIRC: If you set to "Very High" the car lowers automatically to "High" at 8mph and then from "high" to "Standard" at 15mph; it goes to "Low" at 55mph.
In my experience, the transition point from High to Standard is at 19mph. The transition point from Low to Standard appears to be when you decelerate to 35mph (or so; I haven't pegged this yet).

In my experience, the transition point from High to Standard is at 19mph. The transition point from Low to Standard appears to be when you decelerate to 35mph (or so; I haven't pegged this yet).

You might be correct; the speeds I quoted were from my memory of the DS delivery speech. However, I think that your numbers maybe just reflect the timelag from the digital speed acknowledgement to the mechanical height adjustment.

You might be correct; the speeds I quoted were from my memory of the DS delivery speech. However, I think that your numbers maybe just reflect the timelag from the digital speed acknowledgement to the mechanical height adjustment.

It appeared to be 20 mph for me. So I'm guessing the 19/20 number is probably right.

This probably belongs in another thread, but then isn't the problem that Model S doesn't retain your desired suspension setting from driving session to driving session?

I never understood why Tesla doesn't do the Citroen thing and always raise the car up all the way when it's parked. It's not like any patent they had hasn't long ago expired.

But, then I don't understand why the car has to have settings. Seems like everyone would want a higher suspension at low speeds, even if just to avoid possible scraping from curbs, speed bumps, etc. What they might differ on is how high it should be at freeway speeds, but I don't think any of the settings affect that, right?

Just as a counter point, I am one of those people who would not want that. I actually want to keep my car in low mode at all times.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

But, then I don't understand why the car has to have settings. Seems like everyone would want a higher suspension at low speeds, even if just to avoid possible scraping from curbs, speed bumps, etc.

Actually, there have already been requests for making it possible to use "low" when driving slowly (around the neighbourhood with the bass pumping and the windows open presumably...;))

After 2 weeks of driving, I think the air suspension is a little stiff for me. I understand this is a sport sedan and all and wish if Tesla can provide a different settings for driver's preference, that will be great. Correct me if I am wrong, I doubt there is anything Tesla can do until MS version 2.0.

After 2 weeks of driving, I think the air suspension is a little stiff for me. I understand this is a sport sedan and all and wish if Tesla can provide a different settings for driver's preference, that will be great. Correct me if I am wrong, I doubt there is anything Tesla can do until MS version 2.0.

Because it's air suspension, I'd suspect that a software fix could be done.

You likely have the 21" wheels. The added "suspension" of a bit more tire profile with the 19" wheels would have given you a ride with less harshness. For this reason, I ordered 19's.