TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Air suspension

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Lobstakilla, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Lobstakilla

Lobstakilla Member

I ordered my car this morning. I got a Pearl white 60 with pano, ap 2.0, black alcantara headliner and matte obeche wood. I did not opt for the air suspension but have second thoughts. Any other things that are must haves? Is air ride worth it?

2. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

I prefer the coils to the air. 27,000 miles on coils and 1,500 on air. The coils just feel more connected to the road.

That said, you will love the car either way. Enjoy!

3. Lobstakilla

Lobstakilla Member

That is reassuring to hear. The gentleman that helped me said I wouldn't need it either unless I went with he 21" wheels. This will be the longest 6 weeks in my life waiting for it. I do love the very low stance air offers.

4. HebrHmr

HebrHmr Member

I presume being able to lower at speed would help aerodynamics?

I put an adjustable air suspension on my Harley and changing ride height is very useful.

5. Lobstakilla

Lobstakilla Member

That and being able to raise it when approaching steel driveways or rough roads.

6. HebrHmr

HebrHmr Member

So it's not a matter of do you NEED it...but do you WANT it?

I just caution you towards the Tesla version of scope creep. I call it build creep and if you are into aftermarket modifications like myself it can become a costly endeavor.

7. Nick B

Nick B Member

I enjoy my air suspension and find it useful in winter or while going over speed bumps as well as the added comfort but I wouldn't consider the option an absolute "must have".

8. Foren63

Foren63 Member

Active suspension works only with the air option. I don't know the plans by Tesla are but others are doing active dynamic suspension i.e. the outer suspension are harder in bends. I think there is room for enhancements by software. If you are going for full pressure on the tires (max. load / pressure which lowers the Wh/mi) I think it's worth thinking about the option.

9. GuyGadois

GuyGadois Member

Not recommended. The change in camber will eat your tires. Use it for curbs, easier to get out, doors not hitting curbs when opened, speed bumps, and steep driveways like mine where it will scrape if not elevated..

• Informative x 1
  10. HebrHmr

HebrHmr Member

Would using lowering links and then running the suspension one mode higher than normal save your tires but give you benefits of a lower stance?

11. Nick B

Nick B Member

No, the car is designed to automatically lower as soon as you reach a certain speed.