Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I don't understand yet about our new Tesla with SAS
How do you "raise suspension at trouble spots automatically" ?
In particular, I'm thinking about curbs or bumpers when parking.
When you get to a spot where you want to always raise the car, go to control settings for the air suspension, raise the car height and then hit the button just above which saves the location.

Reactions: F_T_K and CameronB
Coil suspension is sightly bumpier.

I've had one air, three coil, and would say coil oscillates more if "bumpier" is to mean on less bumpy roads. Sort of an undamped jiggle. I'd have paid more for coils.

Coil still feels better, and more controllable, to me even if air gets the knod for being slightly smoother. I wouldn't call it the same difference you get from going to 19, from 21" wheels. Wheel choice, or even tires, like Primacy on 19's, really damps things down. Even 10lbs of pressure is a way to smooth things out (say 40 instead of 50). In the end, air suspensions aren't suddenly the high-dollar choice in sports cars. Porsche is just starting to use them in their fluffier cars. For however narrow the decision feels, it's one way or the other. So, like others say, test 'um both.

I drove a 2012 Model S for 3 years with SAS. The ride was indeed soft and comfortable. I now have a 2015 85D with coils. Love the feel of the road but wouldn't call it "bumpy" however. I feel like I'm more in tune with the road with the coils. I live in Florida where the roads are flat. No hills. I think it's more of a matter of personal preference.

I strongly recommend that the OP test drive both SAS and coil. Take them out by yourself each for an hour or more. Wish I had. Don't like my coil so far.
Agreed. I test drove SAS and thought it was great, but read the coils weren't that bad. Figured I'd save the money now and in the future. Having had the car for a week now, I kinda wish I had the SAS. Or at least spent more time contemplating the choice...

Agreed. I test drove SAS and thought it was great, but read the coils weren't that bad. Figured I'd save the money now and in the future. Having had the car for a week now, I kinda wish I had the SAS. Or at least spent more time contemplating the choice...
me too! Had 21"/air on my 2012 S85, now have 19"/coils on my 2016 S90D. Did it to save $$, wish I had the air for better ride. :-(

I am torn. It was an amazing ride during the test drive - I floated over the speed bumps in my neighborhood. The coils have a ride that is similar to BMW - much more road feel. I suspect I would feel it was a "float boat" long term, but wish I had considered more. Plus, I agree the complexity would make repairs more expensive when they break, and I hope to hold onto the car for more than the warranty...