TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Air vs adaptive suspension

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by voltage, Sep 28, 2019.

1. voltage

voltage Member

Hi. I’m thinking about buying a used MS performance for around $60k. My biggest concern is the ride quality. I drove a Raven and the suspension felt just right. Does air suspension in say a 2016 model give a similar ride? I’ll probably go with 19” wheels. I ended up selling my model 3 due to the harsh ride. Thanks

2. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

I have a 2014 P85 and while I have not been in a Raven I have been in a co-workers 3 and mine is softer.

3. glide

glide Active Member

I have a 2015 P85D with + suspension.

Also drove a raven refresh recently and the raven is much softer (which I personally did not like).

I cannot comment on the standard performance suspension.

4. powaking

powaking Member

Would you say it feels more like a Cadillac?

• Disagree x 1
  5. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

Raven is not Cadillac level, but it feels better than just air suspension. Comparing my previous P85+, which was great, I like the Raven suspension better. The "Sport" setting (to me) feels like my P85+, and the "Standard" setting is smoother.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. voltage

voltage Member

Thanks for that input. Sport felt more like a Model 3 to me. Standard was just right. Maybe I’ll go for a LR instead of buying used. I really want a performance but at 100k it’s more than I want to spend. Also wanted a sunroof. Oh well.

7. glide

glide Active Member

Never driven a Cadillac in my life.

8. Cory151

Cory151 Member

For what its worth the 2014 P85D had the best feeling/ suspension of any Tesla I've ever driven (including my current P100DL)

9. Kilowatt

Kilowatt Member

agree - for sporty driving. Raven is way better for every day driving. IMHO.

10. jerseygirl18

jerseygirl18 jersey girl

i traded in an 2016 S550...it's not a fair apples to apples comparison...however, the ride is 90% of the smoothness of the MB. The 2016 S was the smoothest i ever owned in 3 decades with MB. My hubs is most critical of how cars ride (he drives a 911..((not so smooth..HAHA)) he is totally cool with my X. He has no complaints! i think the Raven has really made it great riding with the new suspension.

11. FatherTo1

FatherTo1 Member

Glad we got a Raven S as ride quality matters to me, coming from a Lexus LS 460. Like the post above, I feel the Raven air suspension provides 90% comfort of the big Lexus.

I initially looked at used S/X but the X had horrible ride quality, even on 20s. I have had three 2018 S 75D loaners and they definitely ride harsher than the Raven refresh. I don't think I could live with the pre-Raven ride quality. Here's some data from one of the YouTube reviews:

Screenshot_20191126-151729_YouTube.jpg

12. voltage

voltage Member

Thanks for reviving this. I did go with a Raven model. 2020 performance in red. Still waiting for delivery. I do love the adaptive suspension.

13. FatherTo1

FatherTo1 Member

Congratulations and many happy miles ahead!

• Like x 1
  14. jerseygirl18

jerseygirl18 jersey girl

I never drove a preRaven except on demo prior to purchase. Who remembers...I do know my MX Raven is super quiet, extremely comfortable & I'm not missing my MB S 550..and that was a comfortable ride..."moved on " as they say