TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Airbag swap in Roadster

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by ElectricLove, Aug 5, 2014.

1. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

Anyone have experience replacing airbags?

I'm not sure what advanced precautions need to be taken besides disconnecting the 12V aux battery with consideration to the ESS? Am I gonna have a bag blow up in my face?

Thanks in advance!

2. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

#2 smorgasbord, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    If you're talking driver's side, this thread has the details.

To be really really safe, you should open the doors and trunk, close the charging port door, disable APS via the VDS, remove any fuses that control the airbag (I don't know what those are), and let the car sit for 20 minutes before beginning work, and then don't close any door or the trunk or turn on the radio or the climate system or lights, etc. during the work.

For myself, I was content to disable APS with the doors and trunk open. The steering wheel unit is really easy - just two hex head bolts on either side of the steering column and then one easy connector. I don't know about the passenger side. But the driver's side is so easy I just can't see how you'd accidentally deploy the airbag. We're in front of those airbags so often, with packages, in the rain, charged with static electricity, etc., so it's mostly a mind set. Just be careful with the plug.

Note that many states have air bag fraud laws on their books, so if the replacement airbag doesn't deploy you may have some liability.

3. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

Awesome, yeah the process of changing them isn't the part I was worried about. I had removed the driver's side bag already and know from Lotus forums how to change the passenger side. I just wanted to make sure the process was done safe from my getting punched in the face! Thank you so much! And your custom Roadster looks hot man!

4. marco2228

marco2228 Roadster Signature #34

5. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

yeah, I have an Airbag ECU replacement, didn't know I'd have to get it activated from Tesla but thats fine, I'll do that when the time comes! Thank you!