Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airborne Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK so this happened. Thought Driving Dynamics would be a good place. If not, feel free to move. Or remove if not appropriate.

FB post from local scanner blog:

"Today we assisted Patriot towing in the recovery of a tesla for OPD in the back parking lot of JC Penny's. The driver of the vehicle was believed to have a medical emergency and the car sped across the parking lot. The vehicle ended up leaving the roadway and colliding with a tree about 20' in the air. That tree then sent the vehicle spinning through the tops of a few other trees and landing about 60' away. We believe the vehicle traveled at least 85' through the air before coming to rest in a swampy muddy area 150 ft from the parking lot.. From what we we're told, the driver seems to be alert with minor injuries. It took about 150' of cable and straps but we were able to snatch block the vehicle and maneuver it back and forth out of the woods without cutting any trees. We then got it out to the parking lot where we loaded it on a flat bed and delivered it to Patriot. Happy we could lend a few hands. 2022 total loss."

Looks like it used to be a model S? Quite a testament to the car that this driver only sustained minor injuries.

FB post:

Attachments

• Tesla1.jpg
    Tesla1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 128
  • Tesla2.jpg
    Tesla2.jpg
    920.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
OK so this happened. Thought Driving Dynamics would be a good place. If not, feel free to move. Or remove if not appropriate.

FB post from local scanner blog:

"Today we assisted Patriot towing in the recovery of a tesla for OPD in the back parking lot of JC Penny's. The driver of the vehicle was believed to have a medical emergency and the car sped across the parking lot. The vehicle ended up leaving the roadway and colliding with a tree about 20' in the air. That tree then sent the vehicle spinning through the tops of a few other trees and landing about 60' away. We believe the vehicle traveled at least 85' through the air before coming to rest in a swampy muddy area 150 ft from the parking lot.. From what we we're told, the driver seems to be alert with minor injuries. It took about 150' of cable and straps but we were able to snatch block the vehicle and maneuver it back and forth out of the woods without cutting any trees. We then got it out to the parking lot where we loaded it on a flat bed and delivered it to Patriot. Happy we could lend a few hands. 2022 total loss."

Looks like it used to be a model S? Quite a testament to the car that this driver only sustained minor injuries.

FB post:
“Medical emergency” and minor injuries. Crazy story.

Makes me think a young kid was driving that car. What happened is unclear. The front end isn’t damaged which doesn’t align up to to story. I bet it’s slightly embellished. Alas, incredible feat by the driver.
No way it happened as described by the FB post. The car probably needs to be traveling at 100+ mph and hit a Evel Kneivel ramp to achieve those lofty numbers - 20' in the air, airborne 85', fly through multiple tree tops for an Olympic record of 150' in the EV Triple-Jump event. All this from the parking lot of a JCPenney.

• Funny
Reactions: BnGrm and Madsen203
The car probably needs to be traveling at 100+ mph and hit a Evel Kneivel ramp to achieve those lofty numbers
I have not been to the scene but I think the trees are down a hill from the lot so launching out of the lot into the trees would explain the elevation and the fall down into the valley. The trees are down in a big bowl.

Attachments

• crashscene.JPG
    crashscene.JPG
    334.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Hillshade.jpg
    Hillshade.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Reactions: mangrove79
LOL, if we're talking about San Francisco kind of elevation changes then yeah, it's possible. can't tell how big the depression is from google map images, but if the car carried enough momentum it could roll downhill for 150 ft. it probably still needs an insane amount of speed to go through that many trees, i mean it's half a football field of trees.

I am going to have to go see for myself next time I am over on the west side. Maybe tomorrow....

I didn't know these cars had gearbox oil filters till I saw this one....
Oh, you're local! Cool. Anyway, you can tell the gearbox oil filters from the wreck photos? I don't even know what they look like. Neither gearbox nor oil should be related to Teslas I thought. Ha.

Anyway, you can tell the gearbox oil filters from the wreck photos?
Yeah. Look at the first pic I posted. It's a standard spin on style oil filter. Filters oil for the single speed transmission and the open differential. I also read something about oil cooling the motor. Others here would know more about that. Filters on models 3 and Y only?

Last edited:
The whole Capital Mall area is lower than Black Lake Blvd., once you pass the fitness center. Still a mystery, how they ended up so high in the trees, if the Tesla speed across the JCPenny parking lot.

I'm thinking they were on the main road between JCPenny and the Fitness center, driving towards the tree area?

My understanding is the person had a seizure?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 8.39.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 8.39.06 AM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 62
Yeah. Look at the first pic I posted. It's a standard spin on style oil filter. Filters oil for the single speed transmission and the open differential. I also read something about oil cooling the motor. Others here would know more about that. Filters on models 3 and Y only?
Sandy Munro pointed out the oil filters on one of his teardowns. All models have them.

Great eyes to spot it from those pictures.