Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airflow in the rear seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i was just talking to my wife about the rear seats (which i've currently not ordered) and she said well you might as well get them.

this was spurred by another forum member asking me if i got them (thanks alpha!)

my concern is airflow and the kids getting sick in the back.

additionally, the extra little storage i thought would be nice for groceries so they didn't roll around - kinda like the minivan's sunken portion.

what are y'alls thoughts? from the people that ordered the rear seats and the ones that didnt...

thanks in advance.

A few months ago when I was at the Portland store, an employee told me that there aren't any vents in the rear seat/trunk area. It might be a problem on an especially hot or cold day, but I bet air will still circulate around the car anyway. It's not like the kids will be sealed off back there. I still plan on getting the rear seats since temps are mild in Seattle 80% of the time. This might be more of a concern in, say, Canada or Florida.

I know in my previous cars, the return air vent was always in the back either in the hatch in case of hatchback or by the back window. I'm hoping the return air vent cycles through the rear hatch. The only airflow path would be over the rear seats headrests and into the back area where the jump seats would be. That way any air would pass over their heads and then get recycled or refreshed depending on the HVAC setting.

It's still a concern how much of temperature differential there be between the two, I could see myself freezing or overheating just to make sure they're comfortable.

can anybody who has the car stick their kid in the back (while parked of course) to test it out?

Bump.

I too would love to hear from any of the few lucky souls who have had kids seats installed. Is there HVAC back there, and if not, have your kids commented on heat/cold issues or whether or not the air flow is reaching them?

Thanks!

PS Mods, parhaps moe this thread over to "interior/exterior" subforum?

Last edited:
Bump.

I too would love to hear from any of the few lucky souls who have had kids seats installed. Is there HVAC back there, and if not, have your kids commented on heat/cold issues or whether or not the air flow is reaching them?

Just think. Instead of your kids saying "I had to walk five miles to school through blizzards", they can say "I had to sit in the poorly heated/cooled third row of a Model S".

This is a great question because while the airflow is good in the 2nd row, the heating there is poor. It takes a long time for hot air to come out of the rear vents between the 2 front seats. In fact, I never have experienced warm air from those vents. So it is likely that it will be cold back in the third row. And without vents in the trunk, my guess is that it will probably be stuffy too.