Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AirPlay - Tesla falls further behind in Infotainment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the Chevy Bolt is released, it will be a relatively low cost, long range EV with both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay - and media/navigation apps with more functionality.

The Tesla cars will have larger displays and the maps will probably look better due to the Google satellite maps. Unless Tesla invests in more functionality, there is a risk the Tesla on-board apps will fall behind competitors, as they bring out longer range EVs.

And it would be surprising to see any other manufacturer with software issues like the media player getting confused after resuming from sleep and auto-playing USB music in the middle of the night or forgetting radio presets.

When the Chevy Bolt is released, it will be a relatively low cost, long range EV with both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay - and media/navigation apps with more functionality.

The Tesla cars will have larger displays and the maps will probably look better due to the Google satellite maps. Unless Tesla invests in more functionality, there is a risk the Tesla on-board apps will fall behind competitors, as they bring out longer range EVs.

And it would be surprising to see any other manufacturer with software issues like the media player getting confused after resuming from sleep and auto-playing USB music in the middle of the night or forgetting radio presets.
Well, I have experienced the horror that is the Ford Sync system and the gymnastics to get my BMW i3 to work properly with my iPhone is maddening at times so it's not just a Tesla thing.

Reactions: habanero69
Well, I have experienced the horror that is the Ford Sync system and the gymnastics to get my BMW i3 to work properly with my iPhone is maddening at times so it's not just a Tesla thing.
I also have the i3 and all I ever use is basic Bluetooth pass through. Ford's Sync system is probably what compelled them to adopt CarPlay.

Tesla should follow Ford and realize they are wasting engineering resources trying to develop their own infotainment system. Tesla should put their resources into unique value areas like the nav system, route planning, etc.

Reactions: Ulmo
Tesla should follow Ford and realize they are wasting engineering resources trying to develop their own infotainment system. Tesla should put their resources into unique value areas like the nav system, route planning, etc.

I wouldn't quite call what they're doing "wasting engineering resources". The current media software implementation seems like it was written by a small team in a couple of weeks about 3 years ago, and then one guy has been working part time adding a few features and some bug fixes but that's about it since 2012/2013...

I wouldn't quite call what they're doing "wasting engineering resources". The current media software implementation seems like it was written by a small team in a couple of weeks about 3 years ago, and then one guy has been working part time adding a few features and some bug fixes but that's about it since 2012/2013...
Touché! Yes, they haven't been spending much engineering resource on infotainment.

The point I was trying to make is that they would be wasting engineering resources if they try to update what they have, re-inventing the wheel so to speak, to stay competitive.

Reactions: Ulmo
Touché! Yes, they haven't been spending much engineering resource on infotainment.

The point I was trying to make is that they would be wasting engineering resources if they try to update what they have, re-inventing the wheel so to speak, to stay competitive.

I agree, they should just implement something that works such as CarPlay.

But in my opinion, the greatest solution - and the one I think is coming - for both the Media system, the poor Nav system etc. is for Tesla to finally allow 3rd party apps. These apps will be in a sort of market/app store, tested and pre-approved (vetted) by Tesla. They won't be able to access any of the safety or drive-related systems, only things like media, nav, etc. That would solve the whole problem for Tesla, heck in 2 weeks you'd have 3 or 4 different media center solutions competing with all the features you could ever want, same for Navigation. I'm sure you've seen the rumors/mentions of a Waze app being tested in Elon's car?

Last edited:
Yes, my mistake. CarPlay is what we'd like Tesla to implement.
Hell, I'd take any improvement at all at this point. I think just about everyone here expected that infotainment features were imminent even 3 years ago. "We don't have any real smartphone integration and we have the first car that regularly adds new features over the air. Surely it's being worked on!" Nope.

Then we found out 3rd Party apps were coming by the end of 2014. "Surely that will provide the ability to improve the media player!" Nope.

If you'd told me in 2013 that it'd be 2016 and we still wouldn't be able to play music off a smartphone without resorting to Bluetooth, I would have laughed at you. Frankly, it's absence is embarrassing.

I have the Ford Sync system on my current car and two past cars, (Fusion Hybrid, Fusion Titanium and Taurus Sho) and find it very easy to use and it works fine. I don't understand why some people are confused about it.

Everything I keep reading on these forums makes me think that I spent $85K on a Yugo of a "Premium" luxury vehicle......

No BLIS or one that doesn't really work
No Sirius radio. Seriously Sirius is standard on every car these days. The subscription is up to you. Why do you need premium sound for sat radio and why would you even offer XM instead of Sirius??? lol I know it's the same company. Surely Tesla can figure out the antenna on a standard roof.
Crappy Nav system
Crappy info system
No cell phone integration???? What is this the middle ages or 2005 from a technology company?

What have I gotten myself into?

Reactions: Moneesh
I have the Ford Sync system on my current car and two past cars, (Fusion Hybrid, Fusion Titanium and Taurus Sho) and find it very easy to use and it works fine. I don't understand why some people are confused about it.

Everything I keep reading on these forums makes me think that I spent $85K on a Yugo of a "Premium" luxury vehicle......

No BLIS or one that doesn't really work
No Sirius radio. Seriously Sirius is standard on every car these days. The subscription is up to you. Why do you need premium sound for sat radio and why would you even offer XM instead of Sirius??? lol I know it's the same company. Surely Tesla can figure out the antenna on a standard roof.
Crappy Nav system
Crappy info system
No cell phone integration???? What is this the middle ages or 2005 from a technology company?

What have I gotten myself into?

If you have done a test drive you should know.

If you need some reminders of why it's a great car, look up reviews online. Consumer reports, car and Driver, Motor Trend...they all give Tesla extremely high marks. If everything people love about the car doesn't do it for you then perhaps you made a mistake.

Extended voice control would be nice too. Too few voice commands right now.
I believe it was rumored that v8 firmware will have improved voice commands. Maybe it was just so we didn't have to hold that stupid button? If there was a proper SDK now, I'm sure some 3rd party would have made a much nicer interface. Also 3-band EQ is that a limitation to the components they chose or lack of effort in programming?

From a software standpoint - the biggest advantage of Tesla vehicles is the larger touchscreen display - and the use of Google satellite maps with the real-time traffic display.

From a functionality standpoint, each of the Tesla apps currently provides less functionality than many of the competing cars - or software on smartphones.

However... Unlike what other manufacturers have been doing with their software, Tesla will provide software updates for the life of the car - and if they ever do make major improvements to any of the apps (media player, navigation, smartphone integration), they'll likely make those available to every Tesla car - not just those in the most recent "model year".

Because of the larger touchscreen display, the fully configurable dashboard display, and the constant internet connectivity, Tesla has a lot of potential to provide significantly better software - if/when they make that investment.

One of the major luxury car manufacturers is playing television ads right now on the great software they have in their latest cars. And while the functionality may be better than what Tesla has currently in their cars, when the ad shows the navigation display with a simple line drawing of the route, it's great reminder that while the Tesla software may lack some of the features - I would miss the Google satellite maps.

I agree, they should just implement something that works such as CarPlay.

But in my opinion, the greatest solution - and the one I think is coming - for both the Media system, the poor Nav system etc. is for Tesla to finally allow 3rd party apps. These apps will be in a sort of market/app store, tested and pre-approved (vetted) by Tesla. They won't be able to access any of the safety or drive-related systems, only things like media, nav, etc. That would solve the whole problem for Tesla, heck in 2 weeks you'd have 3 or 4 different media center solutions competing with all the features you could ever want, same for Navigation. I'm sure you've seen the rumors/mentions of a Waze app being tested in Elon's car?
YES!!!!!!!!!
IMHO the most straightforward way to do this would be to have the non-critical parts of the software simply interface via a customized Chrome browser. Browsers already have very sophisticated sandboxing and very capable IDEs. Just make everything, display and functionality, an HTML/EcmaScript app.

Honestly of Mercedes, Lexus, Tesla, and Toyota systems I like my S Nav, voice commands, and infotainment the best. I have never seen any of them where you can say navigate to Whole Foods of similar Siri ish commands. Don't have detours and some other NAV options but overall I have yet to drive something better. That being said, I don't care for the Apple Music or buying anything other than slacker or other streaming services. I am a happy camper and am excited to get more features.

Reactions: RedP85+
YES!!!!!!!!!
IMHO the most straightforward way to do this would be to have the non-critical parts of the software simply interface via a customized Chrome browser. Browsers already have very sophisticated sandboxing and very capable IDEs. Just make everything, display and functionality, an HTML/EcmaScript app.
Elon has said this year that they won't be offering an API for creating apps on Teslas. His words were "to expect an app developer community to develop for a few hundred thousand customers when there's hundreds of millions of iPhone and Android is unlikely." See here.