Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AirPlay - Tesla falls further behind in Infotainment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put my order in already for a Model S, and ONE OF THE CONSIDERATIONS I seriously had was having to deal with the poorly supported sound systems.

Same situation here.

Personally, I think Tesla needs to focus on leading the charge on the technology/ infotainment side (too). The awesome drive should leave us with time to enjoy the other finer points of life - - like music and entertainment.

Since the Bolt is supposed to have both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, Tesla will soon be facing a competing long range EV - with a better infotainment system.
I'm coming around on hoping 8.0 has an info upgrade. Does anyone know the price per car of adding CarPlay?

I was just on EVTripPlanner going from Southern Illinois to Charlotte, NC. 3 Superchargers, direct route there. Bolt will get me to St Louis, but not home without a 2 or 3 hour charge. It can't really be driven, except locally, practically. Bolt has a 160 mile range, without regent braking. In my life, a Leaf has Plenty of range for daily driving.

I'm certain the Woz is worried about the Bolt, but should Tesla be? With any luck, the competition will drive Tesla into the Lux features a little. Not being able to road trip is a big problem, and GM doesn't seem to be addressing it.

Hell, I'd take any improvement at all at this point. I think just about everyone here expected that infotainment features were imminent even 3 years ago. "We don't have any real smartphone integration and we have the first car that regularly adds new features over the air. Surely it's being worked on!" Nope.

Then we found out 3rd Party apps were coming by the end of 2014. "Surely that will provide the ability to improve the media player!" Nope.

If you'd told me in 2013 that it'd be 2016 and we still wouldn't be able to play music off a smartphone without resorting to Bluetooth, I would have laughed at you. Frankly, it's absence is embarrassing.

Absolutely correct. Musk and team should be embarrassed. 3, 4th rate media. It is worse than any other car manufacturer's. We paid premiums for our cars it is complete bullshit the media, phone, email, music connection/ delivery in our cars. The vm for car is complete waste of time- if you're going to have to press a screen to make the call why use the voice activation, just press phone Icon and your're gonna call. That is faster and more likely to succeed this the crappy record your voice and hope it selects the correct recipient. Utter bs. Under capitalized ridiculous car company. If only they had the personnel and money to give us a BMW or mbz interior and interface. When BMW and mbz have electric cars they will kick TM's ass. It needs to catch up or its window of opportunity will close

There are online articles this morning about the Bolt testing for a longer range than what Tesla has announced for the Model 3.

And... the articles also mention the Bolt will have an LTE WiFi hotspot - and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

I've been a long time Tesla owner - and we are currently planning to buy a second Model S and a Model 3. Though the quality and basic functionality of the infotainment software continues to be a major source of frustration, and if another manufacturer had a long range EV (with a charging network for road trips), we'd probably look very seriously at other options for our next purchases.

There are online articles this morning about the Bolt testing for a longer range than what Tesla has announced for the Model 3.

And... the articles also mention the Bolt will have an LTE WiFi hotspot - and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

I've been a long time Tesla owner - and we are currently planning to buy a second Model S and a Model 3. Though the quality and basic functionality of the infotainment software continues to be a major source of frustration, and if another manufacturer had a long range EV (with a charging network for road trips), we'd probably look very seriously at other options for our next purchases.
Yes, the Bolt is looking quite good. My BMW i3 lease is up next year and I was going to have a gap before the M3, but it's looking like the Bolt will fill the bill.

With regard to longer range travel, the Bolt has optional CCS charging (50kW to 150kW) and Plugshare shows a growing number of those. Not really an issue for me as for longer range travel I'd much prefer to drive our S90, though I still wish it had CarPlay and a better infotainment system.

Reactions: ldgrmnmc
We'll likely replace my P85 with a 100D, for road trips. And the Model 3 would be for my wife's commuter - which we would likely not even purchase Supercharger support (if that's an option) - so if we take the road trip charging off the table, if the onboard software is better on the Bolt and it's available a year earlier than the Model 3, it will be pretty tempting to cancel our Model 3 reservation.

Tesla really needs to be proactive about this - and announce when they plan to provide screen mirroring or CarPlay/Android Auto. If they wait until after the Bolt goes on sale, they could start to see some defections - and once that starts, it may be harder to stop.

[QUOTE="Benleo56, post: 1726220If only they had the personnel and money to give us a BMW or mbz interior and interface. When BMW and mbz have electric cars they will kick TM's ass. It need[/QUOTE]

I've owned a BMW i3 and its voice recognition is terrible. Both the i8 and i3 do not have car play and the stock blue tooth connectivity is not the best

I've owned a BMW i3 and its voice recognition is terrible. Both the i8 and i3 do not have car play and the stock blue tooth connectivity is not the best
My i3 is a 2014 and I can interact with Siri to read mail and read/send text messages through the i3's microphone/speaker and the button on the steering wheel; no need to touch my iPhone. My 2016 MS cannot do that.

Agreed the 2014 i3 does not have CarPlay, nor does the 2016 MS, but the 2017 Bolt does. Tesla has some catching up to do, but as far as I can tell 8.0 is just a facelift for the old infotainment system, no substance.

My i3 is a 2014 and I can interact with Siri to read mail and read/send text messages through the i3's microphone/speaker and the button on the steering wheel; no need to touch my iPhone. My 2016 MS cannot do that.

Agreed the 2014 i3 does not have CarPlay, nor does the 2016 MS, but the 2017 Bolt does. Tesla has some catching up to do, but as far as I can tell 8.0 is just a facelift for the old infotainment system, no substance.

I use the siri facility also but my point was that big old BMW also failed to deliver a complete package. I want to be able to compose , reply and delete SMS messages on the screen but the i3 won't let you, it's voice recognition is shocking

This doesn't diminish your point, which I agree with, but if you have a 6S or newer you can do the same using "Hey Siri" to start the interaction. Audio/mic will got through the car speakers. You just can't initiate using the steering wheel, which I agree would be very nice.

This doesn't diminish your point, which I agree with, but if you have a 6S or newer you can do the same using "Hey Siri" to start the interaction. Audio/mic will got through the car speakers. You just can't initiate using the steering wheel, which I agree would be very nice.
Hey Suri works fine on my iPhone 6, when plugged to power. Not sure where the cutoff is, might be an OK feature?