Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airport 10%+ drain daily!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I left my 8 month old model Y at the Sacramento Airport on a Monday with 220 miles of charge left on it. I did not turn off anything just locked it and flew out. On Saturday (6 days) I got a Tesla notice that it had 65 miles left and it was shutting down the security cameras. How could it be using up 25+ miles a day just sitting there???
I know about shutting off the security cameras and I don’t have the self driving options on. Everything I read about said that if you don’t do anything than expect 4-5% per day which I did expect, not 10%+ per day. Any ideas on why so much?
Also, the only other thing I do differently is I put “The Club” on my steering wheel for double security. Would that cause something different with the car like maybe it thinks someone is still in it??

I left my 8 month old model Y at the Sacramento Airport on a Monday with 220 miles of charge left on it. I did not turn off anything just locked it and flew out. On Saturday (6 days) I got a Tesla notice that it had 65 miles left and it was shutting down the security cameras. How could it be using up 25+ miles a day just sitting there???
I know about shutting off the security cameras and I don’t have the self driving options on. Everything I read about said that if you don’t do anything than expect 4-5% per day which I did expect, not 10%+ per day. Any ideas on why so much?
Also, the only other thing I do differently is I put “The Club” on my steering wheel for double security. Would that cause something different with the car like maybe it thinks someone is still in it??
Sentry mode uses 1 mile of ranger per hour if I recall right. Might have been a lot of people activating sentry mode by walking around your car.

Reactions: Jbiddy and xbstrxct
Upvote 1
Hi JusY,

Sentry mode is "eating" a lot of battery. I measured this before on my M3 2021 (LG Battery) and it was 7,5% in 24 hours yet, much colder climate. I documented my measurements here:

So, if you take 25 miles loss per day vs 326 when full, that is close to the 7,5% range loss in 24 hours. More precise, and something you need to keep in mind, Sentry Mode consumes about 5,35 kWh per 24 hours!

Another aspect you need to know, is that the cameras arround tesla have some "blind spots" and you might have the surprize to get a dent on your car without catching much useful details. See this material:

Since I found out how much it consumes and the blind spots aspect, I start using Sentry Mode extremely selective and limited to short occasions in areas that I assess a bit risky.

Note: My measurements were taken when the car was running software version 2021.4.11 however, I watch carefully all software releases since and there was nothing new about Sentry Mode. When a new release will come, I will measure again and create a new video about that.

I hope this helps and enjoy your Model Y.
Cheers from the Netherlands,
Florin.

Upvote 0
1) Nobody mentioned "checking in". When you wake your car up it uses quite a bit of energy.

2) The steering wheel has sensors to detect your hand for autopilot. Try running a test in your driveway with and without the "the Club".

Frankly I wouldn't ever bother with security theater, like the club. The Tesla electronics are really hard to bypass, you can track the car, and you can leave the car is a super low valet mode with a code. A punk can still smash your windows; a mechanical device doesn't protect against that. A tow truck can still steal your car.

Upvote 0
Same thing happened to a friend at Sac Airport a few weeks ago. She is new to Tesla and shocked at losing 72 miles (~22%) after two days in the parking garage. She had cabin overheat enabled, as well as Sentry Mode of course, but was also periodically checking app and not realizing that wakes the car. Majority of the drain is going to be Sentry Mode though.

Sac airport has free EV chargers on every level of the parking garage that you can use next time, assuming you’re already paying $18/day to park in the shaded parking garage.

SMF > Parking

3EE77E77-E74E-4902-A4DD-78446C5A097C.png

Upvote 0
Before pandemic time, I used to travel by plane and park my ICE for 2 or 3 weeks at the airport....

How would I deal with my MY ??? Should I use my wife ICE car ????
If you turn off Sentry Mode, also Summon (a Full Self Driving feature) the Model Y will lose ~1% of the battery charge per day. If you leave the battery at 70% for 3 weeks the battery should have ~50% after 21 days. If you return from a trip and the battery charge is too low to drive home you can usually charge at the airport and then at a Supercharger if needed. The first time you leave the Tesla Model Y parked at the airport you might want to leave the Tesla Model Y at the airport for a week or 10 days as a test so you can verify any assumptions about loss of charge while parked.

Reactions: Teslitored
Upvote 0
Before pandemic time, I used to travel by plane and park my ICE for 2 or 3 weeks at the airport....

How would I deal with my MY ??? Should I use my wife ICE car ????
That’s what we do, leave the wife’s 16-year-old Lexus “beater” at the airport long term parking. That way we don’t have to worry about battery drain and, more importantly, damage by other drivers/cars. Ironically, on the last trip we returned on a late night flight to find the 12V battery was dead in the Lexus, lol. I usually keep a portable jump starter but if failed to start the car (first time it didn’t work as planned). Fortunately the airport has jumpstart service for free and we were able to get on our way after a brief wait.

Upvote 0
Just curious if the Tesla roadside assistance has a charger .... what if the car is out of juice and no way to get it charged at the place.... I'm probably very extreme but maybe because I'm still have the "ICE mind" on me...

Another escenario... what if you arrive to a charger station, and let's say the chargers are dow/broken not working, and you don't have too much battery to reach the next charging station...

Sorry for the questions, but these have been in mind sometimes.... I really love Tesla and expecting my MY sometime next week... (xing fingers)

Thank you

Last edited:
Upvote 0