Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airport 10%+ drain daily!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I left my 8 month old model Y at the Sacramento Airport on a Monday with 220 miles of charge left on it. I did not turn off anything just locked it and flew out. On Saturday (6 days) I got a Tesla notice that it had 65 miles left and it was shutting down the security cameras. How could it be using up 25+ miles a day just sitting there???
I know about shutting off the security cameras and I don’t have the self driving options on. Everything I read about said that if you don’t do anything than expect 4-5% per day which I did expect, not 10%+ per day. Any ideas on why so much?
Also, the only other thing I do differently is I put “The Club” on my steering wheel for double security. Would that cause something different with the car like maybe it thinks someone is still in it??

Just curious if the Tesla roadside assistance has a charger .... what if the car is out of juice and no way to get it charged at the place.... I'm probably very extreme but maybe because I'm still have the "ICE mind" on me...
I've not read that Tesla Roadside Assistance currently has the capability to charge your vehicle. This could be done with a portable generator or with a portable battery pack. Understand that Tesla Roadside Assistance uses a network of independent tow truck operators under contract to Tesla, they don't work for Tesla and their equipment, spare tire options etc will vary. About the only thing you can count on is if Tesla Roadside Assistance is available in your area they will come with a flat bed truck in case the Tesla needs to be towed.

To avoid this scenario plan ahead. Use Google Maps and PlugShare to show you public charging locations in or near the airport. Ideally there will be a Tesla Supercharger location near the airport so as long as you can drive to the Supercharger you will be able to charge your Tesla vehicle and drive home.

Reactions: Teslitored
Upvote 0
Just curious if the Tesla roadside assistance has a charger .... what if the car is out of juice and no way to get it charged at the place.... I'm probably very extreme but maybe because I'm still have the "ICE mind" on me...

Another escenario... what if you arrive to a charger station, and let's say the chargers are dow/broken not working, and you don't have too much battery to reach the next charging station...

Sorry for the questions, but these have been in mind sometimes.... I really love Tesla and expecting my MY sometime next week... (xing fingers)

Thank you
They possibly can haul a gas generator to charge a tesla

Upvote 0

Another escenario... what if you arrive to a charger station, and let's say the chargers are dow/broken not working, and you don't have too much battery to reach the next charging station...

Sorry for the questions, but these have been in mind sometimes.... I really love Tesla and expecting my MY sometime next week... (xing fingers)

Thank you
I don't know the answer to your specific question however, one aspect you need to keep in mind is that when you get a Tesla is like you entering an ecosystem that includes the Supercharger network. Having said that, it happened to me to get a notification on the navigation that a certain charging location is “temporary closed” due to hardware failure and re-route me via other chargers. Is all about connectivity 😊

Well, of course you can think of other circumstances where you can be taken by surprise. In that case, I always have a “plan B, C, D…”. Remember you drive a Tesla meaning you can charge also at other providers – most likely not optimum but at least something to get you going. Don’t drive if you do not have enough juice to make it to the next SC or to your next plan B, C, D…

In The Netherlands (small country) they will usually tow your car to the nearest charger but I’ve seen vans with some heavy generators in the back as well (not Tesla).

Upvote 0
Same thing happened to a friend at Sac Airport a few weeks ago. She is new to Tesla and shocked at losing 72 miles (~22%) after two days in the parking garage. She had cabin overheat enabled, as well as Sentry Mode of course, but was also periodically checking app and not realizing that wakes the car. Majority of the drain is going to be Sentry Mode though.

Sac airport has free EV chargers on every level of the parking garage that you can use next time, assuming you’re already paying $18/day to park in the shaded parking garage.

SMF > Parking

View attachment 705965
Would you leave it plugged in for a week-long trip?

Upvote 0
Sort of related question, and this maybe a YMMV scenario based on where you live, but if an airport [parking] garage has charging ports to hook into near or in your parking spot, is it acceptable etiquette to leave the charger in the entire trip (e.g., you are away for 14 days)? While I haven't used it yet, I bought one of those plastic charger dongle locks off of Etsy that prevent people from taking out the charger on your car. When you return home from your trip is it possible to be greeted by a nasty key-induced scratch or other vandalism because someone thought you were hogging the charger? Or is there an assumed understanding any kind of long-term parking you get exclusive use on the charger? Again, I haven't done any trips yet but just planning for this in advance.

Upvote 0
1) Nobody mentioned "checking in". When you wake your car up it uses quite a bit of energy.

One caveat here: if you do have sentry mode active, because the car is already not asleep, you should not much impact if any to your battery life. You may notice when sentry mode is active and you bring up the app, it refreshes very quickly (basically the cellular round trip latency) vs if the car is sleeping at home with sentry off.

Upvote 0
Sort of related question, and this maybe a YMMV scenario based on where you live, but if an airport [parking] garage has charging ports to hook into near or in your parking spot, is it acceptable etiquette to leave the charger in the entire trip (e.g., you are away for 14 days)? While I haven't used it yet, I bought one of those plastic charger dongle locks off of Etsy that prevent people from taking out the charger on your car. When you return home from your trip is it possible to be greeted by a nasty key-induced scratch or other vandalism because someone thought you were hogging the charger? Or is there an assumed understanding any kind of long-term parking you get exclusive use on the charger? Again, I haven't done any trips yet but just planning for this in advance.

My only experience was at the Providence RI airport. I called the parking manager, who said no problem.

There is no point in having L1 or L2 chargers in the long term parking lot if you can't leave a car plugged in.

Some airports have Superchargers. Obviously you can't park at a SC for a trip.

• Helpful
Reactions: Trip McNealy
Upvote 0