Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airport Parking and charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought I would start a new thread for anyone using airport long stay parking (or train station for that matter).

Just spent 9d in Portugal for half term with the family and flew out of Birmingham airport. In the past I have used a long stay car park but this time I decided to use Airparks (www.airparks.co.uk) off site parking.

Nine days parking cost £36 and included a full charge (an extra £2 on top of the normal parking fee of £34). I dropped my M3P off with 12% SoC and checked every day to make sure it wasn’t dropping too low. I did notice that a couple of % dropped off overnight (battery icon had a * symbol showing battery cold) but then as the day warmed up the range came back again. Over the 9d it only seemed to lose 3%. I did have sentry mode switched off as it was secure parking.

Yesterday Airparks plugged my car in and charged it at 7kW up to the 95% I had set the charge level at in anticipation of my return today. By my reckoning this is about 60kWh and at £0.25 at a supercharger has saved me £15.

If it was a shorter trip (say an overnighter) then potentially your parking would be free or even quids ahead in electric.

The Airparks experience was professional, seamless and would definitely use again. The only downside is there is a 15 minute transfer to the airport via a shuttle bus (which runs every 15 minutes).

I noticed that my car stayed where it was in the drop off lane for the first 24hrs after leaving it. Presumably until someone came on shift who knew how to unlock and move it :D. It took me a couple of minutes to convince the customer services lady at drop off that the card I was giving her was in fact the car key and I wasn’t trying to pay twice! I left her trying to work out how she was going to attach the string tag to the key (hope she doesn’t use a hole punch :confused:).

Anyone else got any experiences - good or bad?

Good idea.

I have a work trip coming up in December for 2 nights and will probably use Heathrow T5 short stay. They have a couple of charge points there. What’s the protocol with using them ? Would me rocking up and taking a charge point up for the 2 days be considered ok by the EV world or will it be considered discourteous ?

Airparks are only offering the charging deal at airports where its available. ie up in Edinburgh it drops back to being a pretty standard parking comparison site. Neat idea tho!

Leaving it for 9 days at only 12% SoC was pretty brave. I guess you knew you would be OK without sentry on?

I did this recently with Skyport at Glasgow Airport. They have four charging bays (Rolec), I just drove into one of them and plugged in, and left it for a week. The airport shuttle bus takes 5 minutes. The whole process worked well; I would do it again.

I had pre-booked an electric car charging space, but the spaces didn't seem to be allocated, I just drove into one. It was £47.99 for the week.

I noticed that my car stayed where it was in the drop off lane for the first 24hrs after leaving it.

Last time I used "Meet and Greet" the car went to a farm for the night (I'm presuming driver's home ... but might well have been a field full of cars, looked a lot more like a working farm on Google Satellite photo which was only a few months old) ... car move back the following morning and got parked round the back of some maintenance buildings and was left there until just before I got back.

Apart from resenting the dozen or more miles they had put on the clock / battery the car wasn't damaged so I didn't question it.

Car was in Valet mode ... its hard to do a Bank Job in that mode :) (and it disables Pin-to-Drive)

Nice idea for a thread.
Does anyone have any experience / recommendations for Bristol Airport?
I noticed the other day that the new multi storey car park at Bristol Airport now has about 9 Pod Point 7Kw chargers in it. This is great for me as tend to fly out of bristol when on holiday, so can just plug it in on arrival and leave it, and it's right next to the terminal building. If you book in advance you can get decent prices. I also noticed that Pod Point have done this at Southampton Airport too.

All we need now is for the planes to be electric!

Anybody parked at Heathrow lately? Picking up my M3 SR+ in a couple of weeks & the first long trip will be to Heathrow airport (140miles)

many recommendations for Airport parking companies?

Cautious that I want to have sentry mode enabled in case of damage, but wondering about battery drain? Will be there for 8 days. If I take 100 miles estimated range when dropping the car off, what drain can I expect roughly?

Planning on using the Supercharger at Heathrow on the way back.

Anybody parked at Heathrow lately? Picking up my M3 SR+ in a couple of weeks & the first long trip will be to Heathrow airport (140miles)

many recommendations for Airport parking companies?

Cautious that I want to have sentry mode enabled in case of damage, but wondering about battery drain? Will be there for 8 days. If I take 100 miles estimated range when dropping the car off, what drain can I expect roughly?

Planning on using the Supercharger at Heathrow on the way back.
With Sentry Mode enabled on my LR AWD I lose about one mile an hour of range. So for eight full days you’ll lose approximately 190 miles. Probably time to rethink, and either forego Sentry Mode, or have a charge while you’re there.

With Sentry Mode enabled on my LR AWD I lose about one mile an hour of range. So for eight full days you’ll lose approximately 190 miles. Probably time to rethink, and either forego Sentry Mode, or have a charge while you’re there.

Oh wow, I didn’t expect the drain to be so high! Like you said, time for a rethink.....

I’ll look for parking lots in Heathrow where I can plug it in because I really think Sentry Mode should be running while I’m away from the car for such a long time, in case anything happens

Reactions: Roy W.
Oh wow, I didn’t expect the drain to be so high! Like you said, time for a rethink.....

I’ll look for parking lots in Heathrow where I can plug it in because I really think Sentry Mode should be running while I’m away from the car for such a long time, in case anything happens
Sentry mode is an amazing feature, but unfortunately it is quite power-hungry.

I noticed the other day that the new multi storey car park at Bristol Airport now has about 9 Pod Point 7Kw chargers in it. This is great for me as tend to fly out of bristol when on holiday, so can just plug it in on arrival and leave it, and it's right next to the terminal building. If you book in advance you can get decent prices. I also noticed that Pod Point have done this at Southampton Airport too.

All we need now is for the planes to be electric!

I think I saw something in their terms/website details about only being for short stay ie don’t park up and go away for a week as I was wondering the same.