Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airport parking ! Now I’m worried.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
”or ensure that wherever you park for your trip has EV charging”

Isnt this faintly ridiculous 🔝?

Where I work, we have 4000 pilots, maybe 50,000 cabin crew, imagine if one or two guys hogged the charger while they were on a 9 day trip ?

They wouldnt be too popular on return home 😂

Last edited:
The problem with Sentry mode is that it keeps your car awake. Keeping your car awake takes power.
The same thing happens when you open your app. It wakes up the car to check on it.

You just got your car, so you are super excited. I checked my car every 20 minutes all day at work when I first got it and was shocked at how much power I drained during the day. Now I don’t do that and the drain is gone.

If you look at your second picture at 20%, you’ll notice sentry mode is off. The car shuts things off you don’t need, when it hits 20%. It also won’t precondition at that battery level.

So, like someone above said. Make sure sentry mode is off (looks like it is) and put the app away until you’re back and then make your way to the Supercharger which appears to be at the Hilton in terminal 5 (if my google skills are correct).

Also, yes, Sentry mode is pretty much useless in that respect. Dash cam mode is better.

The problem with Sentry mode is that it keeps your car awake. Keeping your car awake takes power.
The same thing happens when you open your app. It wakes up the car to check on it.

You just got your car, so you are super excited. I checked my car every 20 minutes all day at work when I first got it and was shocked at how much power I drained during the day. Now I don’t do that and the drain is gone.

If you look at your second picture at 20%, you’ll notice sentry mode is off. The car shuts things off you don’t need, when it hits 20%. It also won’t precondition at that battery level.

So, like someone above said. Make sure sentry mode is off (looks like it is) and put the app away until you’re back and then make your way to the Supercharger which appears to be at the Hilton in terminal 5 (if my google skills are correct).

Also, yes, Sentry mode is pretty much useless in that respect. Dash cam mode is better.
Thanks Matt , kind.
PS I was super excited, but this hassle .. and the crappy front seats have taken the shine off it a little !

Vampire drain ?

FFS , thats some bloodthirsty vampire ! Look at the screenshots ? 55% to 20% in four days ? Really ?
Sorry mate I thought I saw your ending SOC was 48%. Well you must have had sentry and other standbys on that is way more drain than I’ve seen. Anyway curious to know if it’s slowed down now that it’s hit 20%. Try not to check it too often cause that also drains prevents “sleep.” But I know you need to keep some eye on it. Please update the thread when you can

Reactions: Stuart Watson
Thanks Matt , kind.
PS I was super excited, but this hassle .. and the crappy front seats have taken the shine off it a little !

You’ll get used to it and the drain will go away.
I find the lumbar has to be pushed back and down to get more comfortable for me. I also keep the seat low and back, but to each is own. I agree the seats could be more comfortable, but you’ve got to pick and choose what you want.
I personally bought the car for the battery and drivetrain tech and experience.
Got to love the instant throttle (if it had one) response. Gets me every time.

Its a little frustrating, Im only 89kg 6ft 1 ish ,,, but the base of the seat seems to have been designed for a much smaller person! ( I measured it and compared to a Merc/BM seat its pitiful )

if I drive with my thighs pushed close together, its ok , but move your knees apart, and the side bolsters on the seat dig into my legs.

The bckrest is far too soft and doesnt really help support you (imho)

Yep, I agree Matt, the performance is better than I expected ( I paid for ab) and the superchargers are superb.
Overall its superb, way better than the 2020 X5 it replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry mate I thought I saw your ending SOC was 48%. Well you must have had sentry and other standbys on that is way more drain than I’ve seen. Anyway curious to know if it’s slowed down now that it’s hit 20%. Try not to check it too often cause that also drains prevents “sleep.” But I know you need to keep some eye on it. Please update the thread when you can
Thanks Spuzz…

Yep, I‘ve stopped checking 😂.
For fear of walking home !

Last edited:
Agreed about turning off sentry mode and overheat protection as well as not checking the app frequently. I just got back from a 7 day trip, car parked at an off site lot at ORD. Car was parked at 67%, when I turned on pre condition it was at 65%, and when I got in it was at 63%. Got home with aftera 90 mile drive with 22% battery remaining (it was warmer driving to the airport).

”or ensure that wherever you park for your trip has EV charging”

Isnt this faintly ridiculous 🔝?

Where I work, we have 4000 pilots, maybe 50,000 cabin crew, imagine if one or two guys hogged the charger while they were on a 9 day trip ?

They wouldnt be too popular on return home 😂
Surely someone would just unplug it! Might even get the car towed…

Its a little frustrating, Im only 89kg 6ft 1 ish ,,, but the base of the seat seems to have been designed for a wee chinaman! ( I measured it and compared to a Merc/BM seat its pitiful )

if I drive with my thighs pushed close together, ( like a woman ? ) its ok , but move your knees apart, as us blokes do and the side bolsters on the seat dig into my legs.

The bckrest is far too soft and doesnt really help support you (imho)

Yep, I agree Matt, the performance is better than I expected ( I paid for ab) and the superchargers are superb.
Overall its superb, way better than the 2020 X5 it replaced.
This was a huge turnoff for me when I first test drove it as well but ultimately took delivery of a MYP. 2 months into ownership and it doesn’t bother me anymore. I think I read somewhere that you have to adjust your seats differently than you would with a BMW. On a BMW I go to the lowest setting and actually tilt the front of the seat (towards your knees) up to have that more locked in position. In the model Y, it seems like it wants you to sit with your legs completely horizontal or even have the front seat tilt down slightly. I found going completely horizontal and sitting less sporty like works well and this is coming from someone who is 6 foot and 250lb. Maybe two months in and the bolsters actually soften a bit as well. Not sure.

I will disagree that other than the acceleration and one pedal driving I still like my X5 better than the MYP. But perhaps its because it was an m50I that was nearly fully optioned out. Interior was much more luxurious. Seats are definitely better. Have rear axel steering on that vehicle (part of dynamic sport chassis option). And acceleration between the two are within half a second of each other. Also at faster speeds the X5 feels like it comfortably wants to be there (more cabin isolation, less wind noise, steering ratio changes slightly at faster speeds). MYP is great around town but doesn’t seem to be at home at highway speeds. Also while I love the smoothness of not having to change gears and all that instant torque, I actually feel like at highway speeds of y-mph, its ability to pass others isn’t as impressive as I would have expected. Perhaps this is where the extra 100hp+ of the x5 I have comes into play.

Finally, while I assume the MYP will have lower service costs in the first few years (no oil changes for example), my experience with Tesla’s service center is…mixed. I’ve already had to take it there 2x, one time for a headlight fitment issue and one for a faulty seat sensor (no airbag would deploy if we got into an accident). Biggest frustration is each time I had to book out nearly 1 month for the soonest appointment and then they either asked me to wait or get a $100 Uber credit. Meanwhile, there are 4 BMW dealerships within 30 minutes of where I live and can easily get an appointment within one week and I always get a loaner. I just assume I’ll eventually get a rock chip in my windshield and can only imagine how annoying that is gonna be to get addressed (what if they need the car for 3-4 days?). Also that service center is only open from 8am-5pm on M-F. Another sigh. At least with the BMW dealerships near me they have Saturday hours and also they will have at least 1 weekday where they are open until 8pm-9pm.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy with the MYP as it is my solution for commuting into work with a smaller car that saves gas and I won’t be as upset when it inevitably gets dinged up. But to me its like a utility car like a Subaru Outback or Rav 4 with some extra HP off the line.