Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airport parking vs standby (phantom?) drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, 1 week in and I'm generally unimpressed with my SR+ range. I think its just enough for me but the range loss whilst I am not driving it does concern me as I need to leave car for 1 week over XMAS at a airport car park.

I don't think I am particularly suffering from "phantom drain" as according to TeslaFi the car sleeps most of the time I don't use it. But from when I park at night to use car next day and defrost the battery drops noticeably approx 2 -5% per night.

In 7 days that's "up to" 35% loss (though hopefully less). and that's without sentry mode. It's about 60 miles each way... So it's getting tight on a realistic 100% range of 200 miles Max (probably more like 180).

What can I do to ensure when I park long term the car doesn't waste much charge? I shouldn't have to charge on this roundtrip but I fear I will have to?

Thanks.

Hi, 1 week in and I'm generally unimpressed with my SR+ range. I think its just enough for me but the range loss whilst I am not driving it does concern me as I need to leave car for 1 week over XMAS at a airport car park.

I don't think I am particularly suffering from "phantom drain" as according to TeslaFi the car sleeps most of the time I don't use it. But from when I park at night to use car next day and defrost the battery drops noticeably approx 2 -5% per night.

In 7 days that's "up to" 35% loss (though hopefully less). and that's without sentry mode. It's about 60 miles each way... So it's getting tight on a realistic 100% range of 200 miles Max (probably more like 180).

What can I do to ensure when I park long term the car doesn't waste much charge? I shouldn't have to charge on this roundtrip but I fear I will have to?

Thanks.

That’s a bit on the high side for vampire drain. Both Sentry Mode and Standby Mode (for Smart Summon) can cause this, check if they are on. Standby Mode can be made smart by auto disabling when you are parked at home/work.

Are you checking/losing this 2-5% before or after you defrost it? With the cold weather, the useable battery will be 1-2% lower than actual too - once warmed up that 1-2% will be back. (I'm guessing a bit here, that the in-car SoC% is displaying the "usable_battery_level" rather than "battery_level"

That’s a bit on the high side for vampire drain. Both Sentry Mode and Standby Mode (for Smart Summon) can cause this, check if they are on. Standby Mode can be made smart by auto disabling when you are parked at home/work.

We don't have Smart Summon or standby mode for it, yet.

So long as you don't wake the car (i.e. so long as you don't open the app or leave sentry mode on) during the week there is no way you will lose 35% unless there is something far wrong. I left my car for 9 days and lost 6%. The hardest thing was resisting opening the app to see how things were going! That was at the beginning of October so not as cold as now but I don't think that should make such a massive difference.

Stop worrying about the battery for at least a month, trust me.

Turn off sentry and should be no problem parking at airport. If sentry is on, you can expect that car to be around 20% when you get home.
Try to find some parking that supports EVs. I'm on a trip right now and my car is plugged into a standard wall outlet and will be very happy when I get back to airport.

1 week in and I'm generally unimpressed with my SR+ range.

You’ve come in at the sharp end, ie you’ve just got the car, it’s cold and that’s a range killer. The bad news is expect the range to drop a little more when the weather gets even colder. The good news is expect 20-30% range improvement in summer.

Those that got the car in summer have experienced range peaks and are now starting to experience range troughs.

The marketing tends to focus on maximum range rather than an average based on year round usage.

next day and defrost the battery drops noticeably approx 2 -5% per night.

Defrost would be 1-2Kwh which is most of that drain. Mine loses 0.25Kwh on sleeping for 7 hours each night. Most of that is logging and would not occur at the same rate over a longer period. I've also had 12 hour sleeps with 0.07KWh loss. 21 Hour sleep with 0.21KWh loss.

SR+ has about 55KWh so 1% is ~0.5Kwh. So 0.21 is ~0.5%

If it's sleeping it should drain about 1% a day as a rule of thumb allowing for a lot more drain than above. I'm away over Christmas and plan to park it for 12 days, so allow for ~15% drain to be on the safe side. Don't use the app,to wake it up! And don't use Sentry that's about 1% an hour!

So it really depends how much you need to get to the airport and back. For me it will be about 35% one way so 70% round trip (I allowed about 350Wh/Mile) So that gives me 20% for drain to be on the safe side - which should last 20+ days.

You can of course always pop into a supercharger on the way there or back to add an extra 10% or so...

So according to TeslaFi (with normal sleep type settings), my car lost 3.34 miles range at work today for 7.5 hours.

That seems terrible? TelsaFi shows the car as idling for 30 mins when I parked then asleep until I got to the car at about 17:30.

Why did it lose so much range whilst parked? No WiFi BTW just LTE. Sentry mode off.

Any clues?