Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airport Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I travel quite a bit for work and with great excitement I am getting my M3LR on the 24th.

My questions is, can anyone recommend a parking site that includes charging your car. I normally fly from Heathrow but live 100 miles away. It would make m life easier if when landing the car was fully charged.

I know I can charge using a nearby supercharger but let's be honest, after a flight no one wants to wait around for half an hour. 😂

Reactions: candida
You might not need to worry about having it charged whilst parked up.
If you ensure the car is significantly charged when parking it, there should be no need to charge it again before your collect the car again.
How long do you need to leave it parked?

For info my 2020 Fremont M3LR is currently parked on my driveway with a too busted windscreen to drive so I'm conducting a battery test.
One month and 10 days ago I charged it to 90% then unplugged it and have not accessed it physically or via the Tesla App except a few times when software updates were offered. Sentry mode is of course off. Its been sound asleep for the past 6 days!
TeslaFi is monitoring. Current battery level is 84% (240 miles).

Sentry mode would be a battery killer as would too frequent checkups from the Tesla App (as the car wakes up everytime you open the App).

Reactions: candida
I travel quite a bit for work and with great excitement I am getting my M3LR on the 24th.

My questions is, can anyone recommend a parking site that includes charging your car. I normally fly from Heathrow but live 100 miles away. It would make m life easier if when landing the car was fully charged.

I know I can charge using a nearby supercharger but let's be honest, after a flight no one wants to wait around for half an hour. 😂

charge before you fly? Heathrow chargers pretty close by and if you’re not gone for long it won’t drain the battery much at all - charge to 80-90 before you arrive you should be fine for a 100 mile return trip as long as you’re not going for 3 months

The Supercharger at the Hilton Hotel, Poyle Road near Terminal 5 is very close by should you need it. Even after the recent price increase it is still 23p/kWh - one of the cheaper Tesla Supercharger sites. It also has V2 and V3 chargers.

I understand why you may have to do this and also the question related to charging. But my question to you is why would you leave a brand new car (looks like you are getting it only on the 24th) in airport parking where there are risks in terms of damage, dents and accidental incidents like trolleys or suitcases damaging the car? I know it is your car and your decision but slightly curious and why not either use a bang average used car for the Heathrow parking etc., or hire cars you can leave and they can collect it? or even public transport from London if you have some place safe enough to leave your Tesla?

Doesn't want to sound sexiest but just to emphasise my point regarding dents and scratches, Model 3 is like Catherin Zeta-Jones (people may disagree) not very attractive (still looks good) if there are scratches, the Range rovers and Audis are like Kate Winslet even with scratches looks attractive.

Last edited:
My car is currently at the meet and greet in terminal 5. They fully photograph the car before hand (mainly for their benefit I would guess) so you can see if there has been an my induced damage while parked...but then using the meet and greet you car is parked away from Joe public and trolleys. Car will be there for a few days so will let you know the total loss (with sentry off) when I get back to it tomorrow

To be honest you can sleep or rest in (any) seat while its being charged, if you are prepared to drive after a flight, surely you can fit in some pre-driving rest once you are at a supercharger?

I’m not sure why you need airport charging in a 2022 LR for a 200 mile round trip?

Charge it to 100% before you leave, park it, enjoy your holiday, get back, drive home. The car is easily capable of 200 miles.

You’ll probably lose 2-3% over a week at the most, just avoid checking the app as this dramaticly increases drain and you wouldn’t be able to use sentry mode anyway as it will drain the car flat in a week.

If you are really worried just give it a quick zap on the supercharger when you get there (so the battery is warm) but I wouldn’t set the nav there as you don’t want the car to burn a load of extra energy preheating for a 5 min charge that you probably don’t need.

I know I can charge using a nearby supercharger but let's be honest, after a flight no one wants to wait around for half an hour.
Why would you wait 30 mins? You charge to 100% before leaving. Using the worst consumption figure for your journey, I'd guess you'll have 167 miles left when you arrive. Let's just say you lose 10 miles at the airport even with sentry and data turned off. That leaves you 157. So, you can even get home on that but 10 minutes on a supercharger would get you 80-100 miles extra.

Reactions: M1tch
Thanks for the replys.

All fair points. To answer a few

Giving it a quick charge pre parking seems a good idea. We all know what the M25 can be like. Can get stuck for a long time so want to make sure I have plenty of battery.

I am more than happy to leave the car at an airport. Once you have one regardless of cost you have to be happy to use it day to day or what's the point in having it. (Unless it a classic)

Understand that it should be fine, just wondered if anyone know of a place that would place it on charge while travelling? It might be that I land and have to shoot off somewhere else. But as was pointed out a nice supercharger by terminal 5 making life easy.

Thank again

Reactions: Tinca
Why would you wait 30 mins? You charge to 100% before leaving. Using the worst consumption figure for your journey, I'd guess you'll have 167 miles left when you arrive. Let's just say you lose 10 miles at the airport even with sentry and data turned off. That leaves you 157. So, you can even get home on that but 10 minutes on a supercharger would get you 80-100 miles extra.
It’s a bit more acute with an M3P. My drive to Heathrow is 140 odd miles. That’s 70% of my best ever range. Like the OP when I get off a plane having been away for work I don’t see any pleasure in sitting anywhere for 30 minutes stationary charging. Guess the advice is timetable a charge on the way in, disable sentry and resist the temptation to check the app… (does this mean delete the widget? Does that auto refresh?)

Reactions: M1tch
We all know what the M25 can be like. Can get stuck for a long time so want to make sure I have plenty of battery.

Assuming 20 minutes charging, and a further 5 - 10 minutes detouring there and back - if you are held up in traffic you skip the charging and use that extra contingency to catch your flight, but have to suffer charging on the return. If you make good time you use up that dead time charging before you go.

Charging before you go (warm battery) will be faster than on return (in Winter a cold battery will charge slower - driving to a more distant Supercharger would warm the battery before you got there)

But, yeah, its one situation where charging is a bit of a pain. Although ... here's my Man Maths in case any use to you?! ICE is, say, 10 minutes a week to detour, fill, queue to pay - that's 8 hours a year. 2x 20 minute charges a month is the same ... actually, better, as you can use the 20 minutes for Emails that you would have to do when you get home, so time-neutral. If driving across Europe drive-charge-drive-charge the 20 minute break every couple of hours is good. But Must-Charge is an inconvenience.

resist the temptation to check the app

IME that wears off! O/P could get TeslaFi, that will let the car [deep] sleep but will still get some figures (there is a "Wake Up" command if you do, actually, need to do something). It records Stats for all sorts of stuff (rear left seat heater on/off for every minute since you first owned your first Tesla!). For someone If you are addicted to the APP I reckon you'll be far more addicted to the data from TeslalFi (or similar APP)

I posted some screenshots of TesalFi years ago (i.e. latest version has a lot more "stuff"). I recommend you don't install it just before going to the airport - you do need to get the SLEEP settings correct, so allow some elapsed-time to make sure that is working as expected, otherwise TeslaFi will be checking the car often and cause phantom-drain. Referral code increases the trial period from 14 days to a month. You can use my UserName if you don't have a mate's code to use.