Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airship Transportation vs Ships for Starship

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to think some one in Hawthorne has thought about a fleet of airships to transport the next generation of rockets. With an airship everything is point to point. Falcon 9 appears to be the last of the over-the-road transportable vehicles.

Why do you think the rockets are not going to fly themselves to their base of operations?

F9 doesn't fly itself. I doubt LA/Long Beach would allow a launch from build site. Maybe McGregor would. IDK. Just thought it more probable everything would be moved around to various test/launch facilities.
Boca Chica is the Starship build site. I don't expect them to get constructed in CA.
Engine test at McGregor, integrate and test fire at Boca, launch to destination. Full duration static fire is likely not feasible for SH nor SS.

Boca Chica is the Starship build site. I don't expect them to get constructed in CA.
Engine test at McGregor, integrate and test fire at Boca, launch to destination. Full duration static fire is likely not feasible for SH nor SS.

I must have gotten wrong info. Maybe outdated. I thought they had a building/site on an LA pier.

EDIT: Why are we having this conversation. I misread OLD information.:mad::rolleyes:
But I also counted on some KSC/CC launches. Maybe that's outdated too.

I must have gotten wrong info. Maybe outdated. I thought they had a building/site on an LA pier.

EDIT: Why are we having this conversation. I misread OLD information.:mad::rolleyes:
But I also counted on some KSC/CC launches. Maybe that's outdated too.

AH, Yeah, originally they were doing carbon fiber ships out of the Port of Los Angeles, but that was all scrapped with the switch to stainless. The ships would have been barged out of there.
Then they were building stainless in FL and TX, but shutdown the FL site (possibly due to the new rail line that would cut off the build site from KSC/ Canaveral).
There was some news on a launchpad in FL, but I haven't heard anything more on that in while.

They also flipped the LOX and Ch4 tanks, changed the number of engines, and all sorts of other things. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec