Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airstream towing (Bambi) range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, instead of a real motor home, my wife wants me to use the x and get a Bambi instead. The weight of that trailer is about 3000lbs. If I drive 55/60, what watt/mile should I expect? 500? I just need to know for range purpose. I know we will probably only be able to go very little distance a day, so it does suck ass hard

Reactions: Tjhappel
Hey guys, instead of a real motor home, my wife wants me to use the x and get a Bambi instead. The weight of that trailer is about 3000lbs. If I drive 55/60, what watt/mile should I expect? 500? I just need to know for range purpose. I know we will probably only be able to go very little distance a day, so it does suck ass hard

Checkout Ohmman’s posts about his experiences. He also has a separate thread about weight distribution hitch for the X with the 16’ Airstream.

Ohmman's Airstream Adventures

GSP

Reactions: TechVP
I think that’s a great overall guess at ~500

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I think the thread is saying 600. Still 500-600, it’s basically a 100 miles vehicle. I think it could get old real soon having to keep charging
Not to me, though my lighter and slightly smaller trailer means I use somewhat less energy when towing so can go farther. My wife and I love taking trailer trips in our X! See Towing an Alto F1743 trailer with a Model X And Towing with a Tesla

We find that we drive for about two hours to two and a half hours, stop and charge for 25-30 minutes, have a snack and stretch and use the trailer toilet (so convenient!) and then carry on. No big deal, and unhitching/hitching only takes a few minutes.

I work part time and my wife has an online business that she can run anywhere there is a decent internet connection. So we are able to take a lot of trips!

We did more digging, we might be interested in the same trailer as yours. What are you getting in terms of range? Do you get it below 550 at 55mph? I get 400 driving the way I do normally, 550 with a trailer seems like a dream

We did more digging, we might be interested in the same trailer as yours. What are you getting in terms of range? Do you get it below 550 at 55mph? I get 400 driving the way I do normally, 550 with a trailer seems like a dream
At 55mph I get 485-525 on a level, dry road with no headwinds. To continue the discussion please see my thread about my trailer towing experiences at Towing an Alto F1743 trailer with a Model X

Detailed information on my personal blog at https://electrictravels.blog/2018/09/16/towing-with-a-tesla/ and also A “Safari Condo” is not an apartment in the Serengeti…