TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Al Gore President of the USA? A President concerned about the Climate Change issue

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by Raffy.Roma, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Al Gore President of the USA would be really cool IMO. We would have a President really concerned about the Climate Change issue. We could sleep weel if Al Gore would be elected President IMO and the Earth would be safer with respect to the Climate Change issue.
    Hope that many TMC Members independently of their political views would agree with me in the interest of the Climate Change issue.

Al Gore should run for president - Vox

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Gore has publicly said many times since 2000 that he is done with politics and he's made his peace with the 2000 election results. He will not be running for political office again.

3. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Maybe that Al will make up his mind? Hope so.

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

He invented the Internet, maybe we should give him a go...

(He did say 'never again'... he's much happier without politics.)

5. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

+ 1 :smile:

6. James Anders

James Anders Member

Al also claimed the Arctic would be ice-free by 2013.

7. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Active Member

Al Gore is by no means green or any sort of sustainability expert. He also could not beat an imbecile in an election where he was the sitting vice president during the greatest economic expansion in the country's history. He needs to just stay retired.

8. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

..... REALLY?....

'Last September 21 (2007), as the Northern Hemisphere tilted away from the sun, scientists reported with unprecedented distress that the North Polar ice cap is "falling off a cliff." One study estimated that it could be completely gone during summer in less than 22 years. Another new study, to be presented by U.S. Navy researchers later this week, warns it could happen in as little as 7 years.' - Al Gore

Sounds to me like he said as soon as 2014 but more likely ~2036.... and it's really not Al Gore saying these things... it's Al Gore quoting researchers that are saying it...; Facts are stubborn things...

9. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

I think you overestimate the power of the American presidency. Despite the cult of personality that has developed around the office, it was always meant to be coequal with the other branches. Congress has a great deal of power and is responsible for much of US policy.

Also, I'll believe Al Gore is serious about the environment when he isn't jetting around in a Gulfstream all the time.

10. tigerade

tigerade Member

I generally agree that Al Gore is a generally an easy target for tu quoque arguments and therefore is really not that useful.

There are other good reasons besides to preserve the environment besides "it's the right thing to do" (which it is, in my opinion), such as: better human health, better crop yields, protecting the planet's biodiversity, recognizing that 99% of all life on earth has gone extinct and we have good interest to stay in the 1%.

11. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Pet peeve warning.

He never said he invented the Internet. He did say he helped advance the creation of the infrastructure that resulted in the internet we know today. (And he did.) Drives me nuts. It was one of those 'twisting of facts' by the opposition, that lives on today.

Arrrrgh.

12. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

From Walter Isaacson's book "The Innovators":

Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn, two of the people who did in fact invent the Internet’s protocols, spoke up on Gore’s behalf. “No one in public life has been more intellectually engaged in helping to create the climate for a thriving Internet than the Vice President,” they wrote. Even Republican Newt Gingrich defended him, observing, “It’s something Gore had worked on a long time. . . . Gore is not the Father of the Internet, but in all fairness, Gore is the person who, in the Congress, most systematically worked to make sure that we got to an Internet.”

13. Danal

Danal electricmotorglider.com

+100. And I don't particularly care for the man himself... but it is the most glaring example of repeating a lie...

14. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

I would like a President who respected the constitutional republic and his or her role in it. With all due respect to those who are not familiar with the American system of government, the President is not supposed to have the power to set an agenda such as the one being suggested here. Take a look at Article II of the Constitution and you'll see the limitations on the office. We've had a run of Presidents who have exceeded all authority vested in the office and the last thing we need is yet another one with a cult of personality to further shred our liberties. No thanks.

15. FlasherZ

Tongue-in-cheek. :)

I'm intimately familiar with the folks who invented the Internet. :)

16. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

Congress feels a lot more neutered these days with a lopsidedness in the executive branch and the many alphabet agencies it oversees.

Yes, we've had our fill of hypocritical career politicians.

17. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

I heard he ran once, and won, but lost. Go figure.

18. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

You're older than I thought, then :). And I don't want to hear about how intimate you were with Department of Defense folks. -shaking it off-

19. FlasherZ

I was very young when I started hanging around with the crowd that had taken it past the DARPA stage.

...and not quite *that* intimate.

20. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

You never have perfection. Main thing is that Al is really interested to work out the Climate Change issue.......and I am sure that if Al became President he would make many efforts for the electrical convertion of all the transportation in the USA including electrical planes.