Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Al Gore President of the USA? A President concerned about the Climate Change issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sigh. He referred to a study from 2006 that forecasted dramatic Arctic sea ice disappearance. At the time there was about 2 million sq mile of it - the lowest in recorded history up to that point. In 2012 there was about 1 million sq miles of it left. So it's going away and rapidly. Your comment implies you don't believe it's happening - science and evidence prove you wrong, sadly. Nothing shows the trend slowing, it's actually accelerating - so expect that before 2017 it'll be gone.
That's simply not true. Around 2006 North Pole sea ice was on track to be nonexistent by 2014, that doesn't mean climate was going to move in a straight line and it would definitely happen. In fact, the ice sheet built back up in the next few years and is now on it's way back down. Perfect illustration of why you don't put linear thinkers in power.

Now it is my personal opinion that the trends over the last few years will lead to an ice-free North Pole within a couple years, but I'm not about to go around spouting an educated guess as fact and dictating policy around it.

I doubt Al would support fracking. Obamas been pro fracking which isn't caring about climate change or the environment.

But I will leave it there. I don't like to discuss politics, I always fall out with people unnecessarily. :rolleyes:

Suffice to say we all want what's best for each other and the planet.

I doubt Al would support fracking. Obamas been pro fracking which isn't caring about climate change or the environment.
Fracking is killing coal with cheap natural gas, so it's actually reducing environmental pollutants and GHG emissions, as well as weakening the geopolitical power of Russia and the Middle East. As far as the lesser of two evils go, fracking definitely seems to fit the bill.

If Gore beat Bush in 2000 he wouldn't have had the Cheney/Halliburton war machine pressing him to invade Iraq over false WMD's / scaremongering and the world would be a safer place today. Canada knew better and rightfully opposed that war that had nothing at all to do with 9/11.

"We"?
I'm immediately wary when I see a citizen of another country make a suggestion or recommendation for "us".

In support of Raffy, the actions of your president are far reaching. The whole world feels pretty strong ripples of what happens in US.

The worst part is, we outsiders have no say in something that affect us. We are at the mercy of US politics, so show some mercy...

This particular topic was political from the start, so I think more leeway is being given.

ah thats interesting. thank you for clarification.

Let the market sort it out; Put a price on carbon; Coal pays for emissions; Frackers pay for leaks; Price based on GHG potential. CH4 leak costs 60x as much per lb as CO2. Let the market sort it out.

i've never seen a poster contradict themselves so quickly...

anyways, i dont mind nat gas and fracking, as long as it's NIMBY.

wind and solar, ofc, i shall always support, but they are so inadequate. And BC is a poor choice to set up either so....

wind and solar, ofc, i shall always support, but they are so inadequate. And BC is a poor choice to set up either so....

If one were to examine Environment Canada's Wind Atlas, British Columbia's onshore wind energy potential stands above all the other provinces except Quebec.29 B.C. however was the last province to build a wind farm.30 But just as wind is expanding rapidly all over the world, it has taken off quickly in the province following BC Hydro's Clean power Call Request for Proposals in 2008, looking to spur investment by Independent Power Producers.31 Since then wind farms have come online, starting in November 2009, and many more are in the pipeline.

EnergyBC: Wind Power

If one were to examine Environment Canada's Wind Atlas, British Columbia's onshore wind energy potential stands above all the other provinces except Quebec.29 B.C. however was the last province to build a wind farm.30 But just as wind is expanding rapidly all over the world, it has taken off quickly in the province following BC Hydro's Clean power Call Request for Proposals in 2008, looking to spur investment by Independent Power Producers.31 Since then wind farms have come online, starting in November 2009, and many more are in the pipeline.

EnergyBC: Wind Power
I swear to the gods our premier over here HATES, the environment. Every policy he promotes seems to destroy the environment. It's as if he wants to leave a barren wasteland.

I swear to the gods our premier over here HATES, the environment. Every policy he promotes seems to destroy the environment. It's as if he wants to leave a barren wasteland.

If there is a competition in whose premier hates environment more, I am confident Australia would beat Canada to it. The proof is in the pudding, we already are a barren wasteland in the inland region.

AusDesert.jpg

Not saying that this government did all the damage, just that the current policies will make sure we lose small habitable bands along the coast.

Tony Abbott's war on clean energy

CleanEnergy.JPG