TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Al Gore: The case for optimism on climate TED Talk Feb2016 Vancouver

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by Ktowntslafan, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Ktowntslafan

Ktowntslafan Member

#1 Ktowntslafan, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  2. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

3. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Starts off bleak, but then Gore starts talking about recent trends in solar and wind and is really something to pick up your spirits about our planets energy future.

4. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

It's hard to see Gore as a politician any longer... he speaks too intelligently! :cool:

Thanks for the link - I saw that one scheduled and wanted to check it out when it appeared online.

The exponential growth comments makes sense to me. I've been telling people that the adoption of EV's will also accelerate faster than the mainstream media suggest, because I believe it. Hope I'm right.

5. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

Hell yes! That was a great ending to a great video. Thanks for sharing! I thought this was a great visual for the data that was being discussed:

TED.png

6. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

Great visual as well for understanding why anybody with a marginal cost of production for a barrel of oil <$20 (or whatever oil is trading for at a given moment along with the profit they consider reasonable / essential), is incented to pump and sell all they can, right now. The overwhelming pile of already proven reserves are unburnable.

In this context, any barrel of oil that can be sold today for $30, but instead the producer chooses to curtail that production can be reasonably viewed as a barrel of oil that the producer has decided it will not sell, and that's an asset they will not realize. Admittedly, it's really a barrel at some point in the future, whether that is 5, 10, or 50 years, but it's still a barrel that somebody else will get to pump and sell. So prices are going to stay low, and that will drive higher cost marginal producers from the market.