Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AL Priority & Net Radar Laser Install on Plaid or LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone installed an AL Priority system in the new Palladium Model S?

I had this on my last two Model S's and am planning an install on my 2022 long range. I am just curious if the wiring will be any different in the new platform and would love to hear from anyone who has already done it.

@Robotpedlr Do you have any photos of where you ran wires and where you mounted your control box?
See the link below to a prior post, that describes where the location of the Grommet in the firewall is.

I ran the wires behind the dash over from the Passenger side (where that Grommet I used is) to the driver side footwell area. I mounted (zip tied) the control box up in there near the steering column. The actual volume/mute switch is on the side of my console

See the link below to a prior post, that describes where the location of the Grommet in the firewall is.

I ran the wires behind the dash over from the Passenger side (where that Grommet I used is) to the driver side footwell area. I mounted (zip tied) the control box up in there near the steering column. The actual volume/mute switch is on the side of my console

Thanks!

I saw your post in that thread, so thank you for the added details.

I plan to contain my entire system in the frunk, so I was wondering if you tapped power up there, or from a source in the cabin.

The reason I am not going to need to run anything into the cabin is because I plan to use Bluetooth only. I had the speaker and controller in my last 2 Model S's and never really needed them because of had the Bluetooth module and just used the app.

Yes, if keeping everything in the Frunk is an option, that would definitely be easier. I have never used the Bluetooth option...but it sounds like you have had good success with it.

As far as power in the Frunk I am not sure, but imagine you can find something up there that is switched.

Reactions: cmarshack
Did you mount a Tx sensor with the two regular one's?
No I just used the regular ones. I had that set up on my prior S and other cars and felt I had good coverage. No Dragon Eye in the Seattle area that I know of.

Attachments

• 47FF429B-3AEB-4C8B-8EEF-F5CDF3BD7BE1.jpeg
    47FF429B-3AEB-4C8B-8EEF-F5CDF3BD7BE1.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 398
No I just used the regular ones. I had that set up on my prior S and other cars and felt I had good coverage. No Dragon Eye in the Seattle area that I know of.
How did you route the wires from the ALP heads through the bumper to the frunk area? I was looking at that area of my car, I am considering getting the ALP system, but I couldn't see any holes or gaps where the leads could be routed up to the frunk area. Did you have to take off the front bumper to route the wires? Thanks!

I have had ALP with NetRadar on all three of my Model S's and currently have it half way installed on my 2022. SoCal uses very little lidar, but a lot of radar, so I prioritized installing the NetRadar. The rest of the system is sitting in the frunk waiting to be routed and installed.

As far as support, yes, very much still supported and as far as I can tell, the Tx sensors combined with the regular sensors provides the best laser coverage out there. I will post pics and an update when I finish the install.

Reactions: wornout
I have had ALP with NetRadar on all three of my Model S's and currently have it half way installed on my 2022. SoCal uses very little lidar, but a lot of radar, so I prioritized installing the NetRadar. The rest of the system is sitting in the frunk waiting to be routed and installed.

As far as support, yes, very much still supported and as far as I can tell, the Tx sensors combined with the regular sensors provides the best laser coverage out there. I will post pics and an update when I finish the install.
Are you doing the install yourself? Or do you have a shop that you can recommend?

I can drive down to SD (from SJ) for a few days to get it installed, lol.

And yeah, my Uniden R7 has been good enough for me on the highways. I don't see Lidar used "as much" as Radar.

How did you route the wires from the ALP heads through the bumper to the frunk area? I was looking at that area of my car, I am considering getting the ALP system, but I couldn't see any holes or gaps where the leads could be routed up to the frunk area. Did you have to take off the front bumper to route the wires? Thanks!
I noticed you crossposted in another thread and thought I would jump back in here. If you plan to run a TX sensor, they have to be more that 20" from the ground, so you will not want to install down in the intake area you referenced in your other post. As mentioned, I have yet to install mine, but below is where I plan to mount my two regular sensors on the sides and TX sensor in the center.

ALPwTX.jpeg

You can put the regular heads on the lower intake area and then put the TX up higher. I am just running the two regular heads in the lower area and have had no issues. Of course adding a TX would be better.

OK, so this thread got me motivated to finish the install last night. I still need to install the rear NetRadar and route that to the frunk, but for now I have front NetRadar mounted behind the bumper, on top of the crash bar just inboard of the driver's headlight. Then I have two regular RX ALP Sensors on the sides of the T Fascia and one TX Sensor mounted in the center of the T.

I decided to mount the ALP unit on the back side of the frunk, laid all the wires flat in the bottom of the frunk and then covered it all with the frunk liner. You can see a bump in the rear of the frunk liner (if you knew what you were looking for) otherwise the install came out pretty clean. On my previous two Model S's I mounted the control unit behind the frunk, but this car has very little shielding from the wheel wells to the inside of the frunk area, and the only real protected area up there is in the frunk, under the seals.

Also something to note. I have nothing run up into the cabin of the car. I use bluetooth only for this system and have no need for the speaker or control pad to be accessed, so they are not installed. My older cars had this and my wife would always turn the system off because she did not like to "hear it"...so now it's not possible for me to get in the car and have the hole thing shut off by another person.

FrontClose.jpeg
FrontTD.jpeg
Frunk.jpeg
Location.jpeg
Mount.jpeg
Troute.jpeg
Wire.jpeg

@cmarshack how reliable is the Bluetooth connection and use of the app on your phone? I am getting ready to install the ALP in my wife’s Rivian and not sure how easy it will be to enter the cabin area from the Frunk space (always the hardest part) considered the Connect Module but heard it is not reliable (always connecting) and has some lag.

@cmarshack how reliable is the Bluetooth connection and use of the app on your phone? I am getting ready to install the ALP in my wife’s Rivian and not sure how easy it will be to enter the cabin area from the Frunk space (always the hardest part) considered the Connect Module but heard it is not reliable (always connecting) and has some lag.
Lag with BT is one of my biggest concerns, especially when early warning is crucial.

Reactions: Robotpedlr