Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ala Moana Tesla Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard some conflicting information if the public can use any of the Tesla chargers behind their store. I see what look to be private Teslas using them once in a while and I know for sure the International Marketplace ones are okay to use. Anyone have insights?

I was at Tesla one day when an owner was asking to charge since they only had a few miles of range left, and there were no available chargers. The employees let him plug in for about minutes so he could have enough to get home, or to another charger. They did mention they are not for public use.

Reactions: nanimac
I was at Tesla one day when an owner was asking to charge since they only had a few miles of range left, and there were no available chargers. The employees let him plug in for about minutes so he could have enough to get home, or to another charger. They did mention they are not for public use.
It's commendable that Tesla did the right thing in that case. But it really demonstrates how behind the times we are in Hawaii regarding EV infrastructure IMHO. I imagine there are other communities that are also behind in updating their infrastructure, but considering we're in the middle of the Pacific with no access to the charging networks being built on the mainland, I'm surprised that some entrepreneurial types out there haven't invested in more paid charging options.

That being said, just across the parking lot from the Tesla chargers at Ala Moana, there are a couple more EV charging stalls that have recently been installed, so the situation is improving. Now, if we could just overcome the ICEing problem at the limited number of chargers we have!

Reactions: Akikiki
It's commendable that Tesla did the right thing in that case. But it really demonstrates how behind the times we are in Hawaii regarding EV infrastructure IMHO. I imagine there are other communities that are also behind in updating their infrastructure, but considering we're in the middle of the Pacific with no access to the charging networks being built on the mainland, I'm surprised that some entrepreneurial types out there haven't invested in more paid charging options.

That being said, just across the parking lot from the Tesla chargers at Ala Moana, there are a couple more EV charging stalls that have recently been installed, so the situation is improving. Now, if we could just overcome the ICEing problem at the limited number of chargers we have!
Are those new Ala Moana charging stalls DCFC/CCS chargers?

Went to the Aiea SC for the first time last week and had to wait in line for an hour before starting my charge, and $0.50/kWh ain't cheap.

Went to the Aiea SC for the first time last week and had to wait in line for an hour before starting my charge, and $0.50/kWh ain't cheap.
Yes, not uncommon and ever since it opened Dec '21. Even as busy as it is, we think ourselves fortunate have them. We've been lobbying since 2014.

Sorry you had to wait that long, but like said, its like that most daylight hours. FYI, those of us that can charge at home, come by those SCs to visit with other owners. We try to avoid taking up space others need.