Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alabama order process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i apologize for prob a n00b thread, but just curious if someone who has taken delivery of a Model 3 in Alabama could walk me through the delivery process.
Did you have it delivered to your house or did you pick it up in Atlanta?
How much was the taxes, titles, and fees? so i know how much extra i am looking at above what the configuration shows on the website
How are tags handled? i am guessing paperwork will be mailed to me a couple weeks after papers are signed?

i am just wanting to make sure all my ducks are in a row and the surprises are kept to a minimum

I bought the Model S last fall. I picked it up in Atlanta (Decatur). The car had a temporary Georgia tag on it. I did have the option of delivery to my house. I think the rule of thumb is if you are 140m or further from a service center, they will deliver it. I think taxes were around $3500 when I registered the car in Alabama. I think 2% is the state rate and then you can pay up to 4% depending on your county.

I'm not sure if taxes work differently if they bring the car to you. Tesla will Fed Ex the paperwork to you need within a couple weeks of receiving the car. A signature will be required (I had to pick it up from Fex Ex)

I bought the Model S last fall. I picked it up in Atlanta (Decatur). The car had a temporary Georgia tag on it. I did have the option of delivery to my house. I think the rule of thumb is if you are 140m or further from a service center, they will deliver it. I think taxes were around $3500 when I registered the car in Alabama. I think 2% is the state rate and then you can pay up to 4% depending on your county.

I'm not sure if taxes work differently if they bring the car to you. Tesla will Fed Ex the paperwork to you need within a couple weeks of receiving the car. A signature will be required (I had to pick it up from Fex Ex)

thanks for the insight.
Home delivery would be awesome. Just concerned about if there are issues with the car. i'm guessing that i would still have to go to ATL for service.

thanks for the insight.
Home delivery would be awesome. Just concerned about if there are issues with the car. i'm guessing that i would still have to go to ATL for service.
No there is a ranger that services the Birmingham area. I had an issue with the A/C. Ranger fixed it in my garage. Just had the 1 years service done by the ranger as well. I would imagine there is a ranger servicing your area as well. The ranger told me he can handle basically everything short of a motor swap or batter pack swap.

Reactions: jvmoore1
I'm currently in Birmingham, but used a Huntsville address when I placed my order so Nashville was the location I set for my delivery. They were super easy to deal with. They gave me a temporary tag that lasted 30 days, maybe the GA one would be similar? The title, registration, tag came out to be $2500 I think? As 1speed says, state tax is 2% and then your local tax will vary.

https://revenue.alabama.gov/sales-use/tax-rates/

that should help you kind of figure out a ballpark tax rate based on your county.

• Informative
Reactions: 1speed and jvmoore1
I picked my model3 in Decatur GA last weekend. We live in Birmingham. It was very easy. We we were in and out in 45 minutes including 10 minutes to fix a minor issue.

There are no taxes or fees collected in GA. You pay it all here in Alabama. You will sign a ST-8 form to claim exemption from the GA title and ad valorem taxes.

You will love the car.

Reactions: N4HHE and 1speed
I picked my model3 in Decatur GA last weekend. We live in Birmingham. It was very easy. We we were in and out in 45 minutes including 10 minutes to fix a minor issue.

There are no taxes or fees collected in GA. You pay it all here in Alabama. You will sign a ST-8 form to claim exemption from the GA title and ad valorem taxes.

You will love the car.

What color do you have? I still haven't seen but maybe 2 or 3 other Model 3's here in Birmingham.

Don't be surprised of yourself, if for the first year or two, you go out and sit in it at night while everyone else goes to bed.

I remember one new owner saying: "My wife sent me to the store for milk and bread. I came back and said, 'here's the bread, I am going back for the milk' ".

Reactions: jvmoore1
I'm currently in Birmingham, but used a Huntsville address when I placed my order so Nashville was the location I set for my delivery. They were super easy to deal with. They gave me a temporary tag that lasted 30 days, maybe the GA one would be similar? The title, registration, tag came out to be $2500 I think? As 1speed says, state tax is 2% and then your local tax will vary.

Sales and Use Tax Rates - Alabama Department of Revenue

that should help you kind of figure out a ballpark tax rate based on your county.
How long usually it takes Tesla to ship certificate of origin, so we can register the vehicle in Tuscaloosa, Alabama?

I bought my model Y from NJ. They gave me 30 day tag but still no paperwork in mail.

My suggestion is, take all your current paperwork you have, (the more the merrier) and go to the DMV. Behave disorganized and confused. 50/50 chance they won't even miss the Certificate of Origin. First S that I registered, they pushed the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin back at me, soon as I put it all on the counter. Let them tell you what's missing, if you have the time to try it.

My first S was registered by me, not Tesla in 2013. I went into the DMV. They looked up the VIN and said, "how long is this boat trailer". Boat Trailer? Its an $85,000 electric car. No way she said. The brought three people outside to see it, because they didn't believe it was built in the USofA.

Reactions: N4HHE