TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Alabama order process

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by jvmoore1, Jun 19, 2018.

1. jvmoore1

jvmoore1 Member

i apologize for prob a n00b thread, but just curious if someone who has taken delivery of a Model 3 in Alabama could walk me through the delivery process.
    Did you have it delivered to your house or did you pick it up in Atlanta?
    How much was the taxes, titles, and fees? so i know how much extra i am looking at above what the configuration shows on the website
    How are tags handled? i am guessing paperwork will be mailed to me a couple weeks after papers are signed?

i am just wanting to make sure all my ducks are in a row and the surprises are kept to a minimum

2. 1speed

1speed Member

I bought the Model S last fall. I picked it up in Atlanta (Decatur). The car had a temporary Georgia tag on it. I did have the option of delivery to my house. I think the rule of thumb is if you are 140m or further from a service center, they will deliver it. I think taxes were around $3500 when I registered the car in Alabama. I think 2% is the state rate and then you can pay up to 4% depending on your county.

I'm not sure if taxes work differently if they bring the car to you. Tesla will Fed Ex the paperwork to you need within a couple weeks of receiving the car. A signature will be required (I had to pick it up from Fex Ex)

3. jvmoore1

jvmoore1 Member

thanks for the insight.
    Home delivery would be awesome. Just concerned about if there are issues with the car. i'm guessing that i would still have to go to ATL for service.

4. 1speed

1speed Member

No there is a ranger that services the Birmingham area. I had an issue with the A/C. Ranger fixed it in my garage. Just had the 1 years service done by the ranger as well. I would imagine there is a ranger servicing your area as well. The ranger told me he can handle basically everything short of a motor swap or batter pack swap.

• Like x 1
  5. taylor

taylor Member

I'm currently in Birmingham, but used a Huntsville address when I placed my order so Nashville was the location I set for my delivery. They were super easy to deal with. They gave me a temporary tag that lasted 30 days, maybe the GA one would be similar? The title, registration, tag came out to be $2500 I think? As 1speed says, state tax is 2% and then your local tax will vary.

https://revenue.alabama.gov/sales-use/tax-rates/

that should help you kind of figure out a ballpark tax rate based on your county.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. jvmoore1

jvmoore1 Member

awesome! thanks for the info

7. ALdawg

ALdawg New Member

I picked my model3 in Decatur GA last weekend. We live in Birmingham. It was very easy. We we were in and out in 45 minutes including 10 minutes to fix a minor issue.

There are no taxes or fees collected in GA. You pay it all here in Alabama. You will sign a ST-8 form to claim exemption from the GA title and ad valorem taxes.

You will love the car.

• Like x 2
  8. taylor

taylor Member

What color do you have? I still haven't seen but maybe 2 or 3 other Model 3's here in Birmingham.

9. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

jv, not only will you love the car, you will ask yourself why hasn't every car in the last 50 years been made like this one works.

10. jvmoore1

jvmoore1 Member

can't wait...i go at least once a day to the design studio and play around with diff configs. just waiting for a little more finances.

11. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

You think you are alone? We've all done that. Configure one, then go look in the drive way and see if its there yet. Stupid, but fun. :)

• Funny x 1
  12. jvmoore1

jvmoore1 Member

the eye rolls from the wife are the best

13. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Wife eye rolls are insurance. Its a hint she doesn't want to drive your EV. Which is great. Last thing you want is her to "love it" and TAKE YOURS. So you know that kind of thinking - keep encouraging her to drive it and she never will.

• Like x 1
  14. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Don't be surprised of yourself, if for the first year or two, you go out and sit in it at night while everyone else goes to bed.

I remember one new owner saying: "My wife sent me to the store for milk and bread. I came back and said, 'here's the bread, I am going back for the milk' ".

• Like x 1
  15. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

jv, I grew up in Huntsville.

16. jvmoore1

jvmoore1 Member

cool. we stayed the night there last year on our way to Nashville. Really nice town. we enjoyed it

17. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Changed a little in the 40 years since I lived there.

• Like x 1