Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alameda Municipal Power new EV Charging Rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
Tonight was an info meeting for the Alameda Municipal Utilities Board to introduce the topic to its customers, the meeting was titled Electric Vehicle Rate Talk

gdg-tou-postponed_original.jpg

I was one of maybe two people that attended other than people who work there. Likely all the info will be in your upcoming bill.

TL;DR A pilot program is coming next year where AMP will be testing out time-of-use rates to help keep electric cars from charging during the evening peak usage.

They presented several info slides:

fullsizeoutput_4a81.jpeg

This slide explains the issue, people with EVs coming home and plugging their cars in, just when everyone else is coming home and starting dinner - oven and microwave, turning on the TV, putting on the dishwasher, starting a load of laundry. Also cooling the house in the summer and warming the bed in winter. All this is why the dotted line shows a swift peak in the value of electricity to AMP at 7 pm. They don't pay more for their power, but they can resell any unused power during that peak. They looked at the bills of EV owners and in general, they already were the customers with the highest bills, bigger houses, more toys. That's why the EV Customer line is SO much higher than the average one.

fullsizeoutput_4a85.jpeg

All plans remove the Tiers that AMP currently (ha!) uses in favor of a flat rate. These are the plans they came up with, you will figure out my preference just by paying attention, but the option B that is highlighted is because that is what the staff and consultants are recommending.

The first option will provide a discount for those that charge at night, after 10 pm and before 6 am. Only 7¢ per kWh! There are cheaper plans on the planet, but this is great for California. Think of the rate you pay for charging your car like what a gallon of gas costs, the lower the better!

Option B has the smallest window outside the discount rate. You can charge your car whenever you want and get the discounted 12¢ rate except during the hours of 5 pm to 9 pm, but during those hours it's 50¢!!! Gack!

I just get home from work, I've signed up for the EV rate plan because I bought a used Leaf thru the California Plus-Up program for low-income people like me. I won't plug in the car until later, but I also know that I shouldn't run any appliance or even lights until after 9 pm. But now EVERYONE in my family is mad at me for trying to police their use of power, even on weekends.

Option C is a less draconian version, widening the window by an hour each direction, and lowering the peak rate by half but raising the discount a penny.

fullsizeoutput_4a82.jpeg

This next slide shows what might happen if you chose the EV Rate Option A. This is what most EV owners already should be doing. Set your car not to charge until 10 pm or put a timer on the outlet. Of course, someday all those cars clicking on at the atomically corrected time of 10 pm might cause a serious spike in the grid. Perhaps it could be planned for, so we'll leave that for another day.

You can see that currently, this customer is paying for 7500 kWhs a year, AMP gives a $9-21/mo incentive for each electric vehicle, this would be replaced by this plan. Someone that signs up, but cannot give up charging during the peak window or using other appliances during the day actually pays almost $40 more, but on a good day can save as much as $95 a month. Likely not going to wait until 10 pm to run a load of laundry, certainly not going to get up early enough to run another one so it will finish before 6 am. So some things will be more painful than they are now even on my favorite plan.

fullsizeoutput_4a84.jpeg

This is the one they are going for during the trial period. They plan to collect data and see how people react. If they move the EV owners off electricity during the peak period it will be a success, but it seems like they are punishing EV owners for trying to do the right thing. The current rate plan does the same thing, the more electricity you use the more it costs. This doesn't encourage people to buy electric cars when they are punished for using more electricity. Now they are punished for moving to the EV plan that raises their electric costs at dinner time, especially bad if they need to charge their car to go somewhere during that period. VERY expensive.

If the peak is a problem why not come up with a plan that makes everyone use a little less during that period, not a draconian plan to make its subscriber choose dinner or EV. Certainly, it's fairer to make everyone pay the same for dinner and let people charging their cars fill during a period that's otherwise unused. Taxing our microwaves and ovens seems wrong.

Last edited:
As a Solar and Powerwall customer, I would totally choose Option A. Super cheap EV charging and still have a decent generation credit during the whole day and a nearly 4:1 generation to EV charging price differential for net metering credits.

The Option B is really no good for solar customers because their generating hours and EV charging hours are the same price. Did they talk about solar at all during the whole meeting?

cross-post from Nextdoor is the free private social network for your neighborhood community.:

They spoke about this, saying the number of EV owners with solar is small at the present time or at least their impact on the evening peak is. Most owners of solar in Alameda have Net Metering, where every kWh they generate but don't use is balanced against a kWh they will later need to pull back from the grid. If you generate enough power to cover your EV it will be difficult to incentivize you to move to a time-of-use EV rate plan. They currently offer about $15 a month discount on electricity for owning an electric car, but they ask you to only charge between 8 pm and 8 am in exchange, although they don't police it. I expressed in the first post how concerned I am that the new rate plan will not encourage EV purchases. It may also not be good for the expansion of solar installs. Since Alameda is already fully subscribed on Net Metering most solar installers won't come to Alameda anymore, as it makes the payback time too long for most people. With a rate plan for EVs, it will be even harder to justify the cost, as the huge cost of powering your car from the grid is removed from the equation. In the last couple of years, Alameda spent the money and now has Smart Meters at every interconnect. This will soon mean that you can tell every 5 minutes how much power you are using. This should help people save energy. This new EV rate plan is just them trying to figure out what to do with all that data. They may structure a similar solar rate plan in the future if they figure out a way to make it desirable.

Oh, and for those of us who don't have solar now but do have EVs there are starting to be a new class of chargers that actually respond to the amount of solar generation you have. So instead of wasting generated power by sending unused power back to AMP your car charger turns on to capture whatever you are not using, but if a cloud rolls over your house or you turn on the space heater the car charging stops until there is more power. This means your car is only charging on sunshine, not expensive grid power. AMP is also working on expanding solar in Alameda with the Doolittle Solar Project. They are taking the old dump (Mt. Trashmore), that hill that's there just as you enter Bay Farm, which is now 45 years old and can be built on and covering it with solar. This will hopefully mean cheaper power in Alameda someday.

Many of us are already on Time of Use plans and do shift electricity use because of it.

It really is not a big deal to put off charging and washing laundry until lower rate time.

On PG&E they have 2 times of use, 3pm-8pm peak and 4pm-9pm peak. We are on 4pm-9pm peak, but will shift to 3pm-8pm when we get solar running since it is net metered.

And you don't worry about using the oven or the microwave or letting the hot tub run during those hours? A friend of mine has gotten into serious trouble with his wife by giving her grief about running appliances during that peak period.

I think there is even some crazy, only happens once a week or month double whammy rate closer to $1.50/kWh they just leave home during. This nonsense is what got him to spend $22K on a 4.3kW system with Powerwall backup after rebates and incentives.

I have EV + TOD through SMUD, and shifting usage hasn't been an issue. I turn the dishwasher on before going to bed, my washer has a timed start feature so I can have a load finish right when I get up in the morning. I save the oven for weekends, and do more quick dinners during the week. My EV rates end just about the time I leave for work, so all my morning stuff is at the cheapest rate, which makes up for higher cost to cook dinner.

I calculated my bill both ways the first couple of months, and removing EV charging from the equation I still saved $10 a month under TOD.

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
And you don't worry about using the oven or the microwave or letting the hot tub run during those hours? A friend of mine has gotten into serious trouble with his wife by giving her grief about running appliances during that peak period.

I think there is even some crazy, only happens once a week or month double whammy rate closer to $1.50/kWh they just leave home during. This nonsense is what got him to spend $22K on a 4.3kW system with Powerwall backup after rebates and incentives.

Those sound like PG&E SmartDays, which is an opt-in program up to 15 summer days a year - in exchange for a small discount the rest of the year.

Solar PV owners are not eligible for that but a similar external incentive is OhmConnect.

I've given up on inconveniencing the wife on TOU, she's not obsessed with energy costs and efficiency like me. But I found if I proactively set the timer on the dishwasher or EV charging, she has no reason to run those during peak times. And if I run the laundry loads before they pile up, both she's happy and I control the timing.

Those sound like PG&E SmartDays, which is an opt-in program up to 15 summer days a year - in exchange for a small discount the rest of the year.

Solar PV owners are not eligible for that but a similar external incentive is OhmConnect.

I've given up on inconveniencing the wife on TOU, she's not obsessed with energy costs and efficiency like me. But I found if I proactively set the timer on the dishwasher or EV charging, she has no reason to run those during peak times. And if I run the laundry loads before they pile up, both she's happy and I control the timing.

You wife is really smart. She found a way to get you to do the laundry and dishes!:D