Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alarm actuating randomly on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
This morning, I heard the alarm horn of my Model S honking as I was getting ready to leave my church after the service. It shut off on its own before I got out to the parking lot so I was not actually certain it was my car, except that there were no other cars nearby.
The next weird thing was that a message popped up on the screen, saying that the frunk was open. It was only on screen for a few seconds and then disappeared. The frunk looked OK and had not been opened for several days.
Just now at home, the alarm actuated again, about 2 hours after the initial event. Again, it shut off by itself before I had a chance to do anything myself.

I did a forum search and found a number of threads about alarm issues with Model 3, but none for Model S.

As an aside -- I hope this is the correct forum category. If not, perhaps the moderator will move it.

This morning, I heard the alarm horn of my Model S honking as I was getting ready to leave my church after the service. It shut off on its own before I got out to the parking lot so I was not actually certain it was my car, except that there were no other cars nearby.
The next weird thing was that a message popped up on the screen, saying that the frunk was open. It was only on screen for a few seconds and then disappeared. The frunk looked OK and had not been opened for several days.
Just now at home, the alarm actuated again, about 2 hours after the initial event. Again, it shut off by itself before I had a chance to do anything myself.

I did a forum search and found a number of threads about alarm issues with Model 3, but none for Model S.

As an aside -- I hope this is the correct forum category. If not, perhaps the moderator will move it.
One other detail -- It had been quite hot and humid that morning, with temperatures in the 95-97F range as the alarm sounded the first time and as I drove the car home from church.

If it’s the frunk (you can check it by reopening and closing) then I have had situations after I have closed it and then shifted to Drive, a similar pop-up alerts that the frunk have been left open. By re-closing it the car settles down and no alerts any longer. As the car has not been locked during this time I have had no false car alarms.
Here is one discussion:

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: David29
Look up "corroded ground nut" on the passenger side of the space underneath the frunk - this is a known issue, and I experienced the exact same symptoms. If this turns out to be the cause, any competent indy mechanic can handle this, and some owners have been able to do it themselves. No need to bring the car to a Tesla service center. If this is the issue, while it is being fixed, ask the mechanic to also inspect the ground nut on the driver's side, for possible corrosion.

My passenger's side ground nut was so corroded that it broke off in the mechanic's hand. He reinstalled a new ground nut somewhere nearby in the space under the frunk.

There's definitely a thread in this forum that illustrates this problem and its repair, with photos. With the info I learned in this forum, I was able to explain the exact issue to my non-Tesla mechanic.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29