Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alarm.com, MyQ and homelink.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone use alarm.com and is able to use homelink through Tesla to control their garage? I contacted my Alarm rep and he said because alarm.com knows if the garage is open or closed, I can’t link MyQ to homelink to use the Tesla feature. Not sure if there is a workaround.

There should be no linking of MyQ and Homelink. They are completely separate and don't rely on the other to operate. Homelink will only work if your car has the Homelink module (actual hardware) installed after the car was purchased (the car does not come with it from factory).

MyQ, on the other hand, is just software that is integrated into the Tesla infotainment screen and requires no additional hardware. You just set up the MyQ subscription (there's a monthly fee, unlike Homelink) and set it up.

All that being said, is your garage door opener MyQ compatible? If so, it should work just fine using just MyQ regardless of what your alarm company is doing.

I dont see why either would stop the other from working. These services should all work completely independent of each other.

• Yes, I use Alarm.com which has its own dedicated physical sensor to only tell if the door is open/closed.
  • Yes, I use MyQ which also uses it own dedicated physical sensor to both operate & alert opening/closing the garage door.
  • Yes, I also spent $300 for the physical OE Homelink garage door transmitter module which was manually installed under the hood of my car by a mobile Tesla technician when I purchased the vehicle 2 years ago.

I didn't like the idea of depending solely on internet-based services to open/close my garage door.. as a wireless internet connection is never 100% reliable. I also didn't want to leave any portable garage door opener in my car as people now purposely break into cars solely to steal those transmitters.. so they can easily get into your home.

Alarm.com + MyQ are services I only operate from my phone. Whereas the physical Homelink transmitter I basically only operate from my car. Technically you can use some 3rd party Tesla apps to remotely open/close your garage door using the physical Homelink transmitter in your car. I see this as a great backup method to remotely open/close the door.. in the event that internet, networking or power loss has occurred at home and I still need to open or close the door remotely.

Technically you can use some 3rd party Tesla apps to remotely open/close your garage door using the physical Homelink transmitter in your car. I see this as a great backup method to remotely open/close the door.. in the event that internet, networking or power loss has occurred at home and I still need to open or close the door remotely.
May have to rethink your backup method. Can't remotely open/close the garage door if there is power loss at home. 😁

Do they make garage door opener with battery backup power?

EDIT: I guess they do! Garage Door Openers with Battery Backups | LiftMaster

In the 12 years since I moved into my current home, I have to use the manual opening only 1 time. The house lost power about 10 times, but most were planned so we moved the car outside in advance.

May have to rethink your backup method. Can't remotely open/close the garage door if there is power loss at home. 😁

Do they make garage door opener with battery backup power?

EDIT: I guess they do! Garage Door Openers with Battery Backups | LiftMaster

In the 12 years since I moved into my current home, I have to use the manual opening only 1 time. The house lost power about 10 times, but most were planned so we moved the car outside in advance.
My garage door opener has a battery backup. But without power, the wifi node in the garage won't be on, so I still can't open the garage door with MyQ. But I can use the remote garage opener fob or the remote keypad off on the side of the garage.

Reactions: Daekwan

My Liftmaster 8500 wall-mounted, jackshaft garage door opener does indeed have battery backup. I specifically choose this model because it was one of the premium features :)

Other reasons why I wanted the 8500

• Commercial-like wall mount unit, so nothing hanging overhead in the ceiling (Awesome for people who want a 2 or 4-post lift in their home garage.. or want to mount ceiling storage for bikes, shelves, ladders, kayaks, etc)
  • Battery backup included in the package
  • Silent motor operation (its as quiet as lifting the door manually)
  • Deadbolt locking when the door is closed
  • Pressure sensor when closing
  • Laser beam traffic detection automatically rolls the door up when tripped.. also will not allow the door to open or close when blocked
  • No belts or noisy chains to replace, maintain or get stuck.
  • Internet gateway compatibility and smartphone control/alerts

It is fantastic! Cannot recommend it enough.

Does anyone use alarm.com and is able to use homelink through Tesla to control their garage? I contacted my Alarm rep and he said because alarm.com knows if the garage is open or closed, I can’t link MyQ to homelink to use the Tesla feature. Not sure if there is a workaround.
I have all three (alarm.com, Homelink on multiple vehicles including Model 3, and MyQ on each garage door. All three work fine on all garage doors.

Reactions: Daekwan
My dealer said I cannot login to MyQ because alarm.com uses it to control my garage door to know if it’s open or closed.

Maybe I’m missing something. Do I need to pay for the $350 transmitter to use the MyQ feature in Tesla?
MyQ is an app, like Spotify in Tesla. You have to pay for subscription once the trial is over.
Use the FOB for MyQ or automate opening/closing using LiveKey app on iPhone (my preferred solution).

I have alarm.com and you can enable Siri automation via the alarm.com app. Go to Menu -> App Settings -> Siri Shortcuts. Annoyingly, the garage door openers are not listed as devices for which you can create a shortcut. I was able to create scenes to open/close garage and create a Siri shortcut to activate the scene.

What I have not figured out is how to activate this in the car... If I press the steering wheel button and say "Hey Siri open garage" - I get a response that this command "is not activated yet". Is there a way to talk to Siri via the car microphone? Seems like this should be in an FAQ somewhere, but I was not able to find anything.

Though even if I figured out how to activate Siri from the car, the other problem I am running into is that the iPhone has to be unlocked to process this command... Still, it would be nice to control the phone from the car to do things like play music even if it is locked.