Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alarm false fires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parked car up on quiet car park near to a sports field we were attending. Sentry mode enabled. Then the car started to alarm and play loud music. Returned to car and as expected all was well. Locked and went away again. Some time later it happened again, alarm and loud music. Returned to car, which was okay.

Turned sentry mode off and left car again. Again, some time later the alarm went off. Returned to car and all was well. I turned off the cabin overheat protection as this was the only thing i could think might trigger an alarm. But i also moved the car so it was now within sight of us. Locked it and all went well.

I believe the loud music in sentry mode is normally associated with unauthorised entry into the vehicle, of which there was none.

Is cabin overheat protection known for triggering the alarm? Or am i chasing a red hearing.

I dont appear to be able to check what has caused the alarm triggering. Obviously with sentry mode i can watch the video, but is there nothing else that logs and shows what caused the alarm (non-sentry mode)?

Is the tesla alarm system know for false alerts?

Mine’s gone off randomly over the last few days too! Once at 3am and then twice the following afternoon. Took it for a quick blast with the windows down that evening to hopefully get rid of anything living inside and it hasn’t happened since - although it did also do an update to 2022.20.8 so it could just as well have been that too!

I've had a ladybird set off my car alarm (sentry mode not activated so no loud music thankfully) so my guess would be some sort of insect life in the car.
As there is a cabin camera that can supposedly even tell which way the drivers eyes are pointing; it’s a pity that it can’t tell the difference between a car thief and a 5mm diameter spotty insect 🤔

Is cabin overheat protection known for triggering the alarm? Or am i chasing a red hearing.
Any time the fans/climate is turned on the interior motion sensors should deactivate to stop false alarms. That’s what should happen, but software bugs mean it could happen.

Much more likely to be a real bug/insect triggering the alarm.

I’ve had the same problem when I turn on climate remote to lower the temp before I get to the car. I assume it’s the air movement as it tries to lower the temperature quickly. I believe I have a work around by choosing Dog Mode which cools the car and must turn off the alarm sensors inside the car.

Oh, here's another one that hasn't been mentioned for a while ... the alarm can be triggered by an expanding or contracting plastic water bottle. I had a one-off spurious alarm about a week ago and I had recently put a fairly large bottle with very cold water in it in the hot car. May have been that popping or it may have been an insect that since departed because I also made sure to open doors and windows for a minute.

Mine went off the other day twice . Thought I had a problem then went on here and found that any wildlife in the car can set it of . Went back to the car and sure enough there was a small fly buzzing around . Once he was removed all was well .

Oh, here's another one that hasn't been mentioned for a while ... the alarm can be triggered by an expanding or contracting plastic water bottle. I had a one-off spurious alarm about a week ago and I had recently put a fairly large bottle with very cold water in it in the hot car. May have been that popping or it may have been an insect that since departed because I also made sure to open doors and windows for a minute.
I have a different problem. I've owned a tesla y for a year and never heard an alarm, even on a ferry. Today I left my phone at home and shook the car with all my might, yanked the door handles and it didn't activate any alarm. How can I check if I have an active alarm at all?

Ours occasionally goes off when we jack the car to seasonally swap the wheels.

It’s probably gone off 2 or 3 times in total whilst jacking each of the 4 corners, twice a year over 4 years that we have done this. It’s not a big lift, but certainly more than you could do by manually rocking. I think it may even say tilt alarm.

Internal test could be done by leaving someone in the car without a phone and locking …