Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alarm on unlock issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Widely discussed, along with workarounds, in the 2020.x thread, although that had gone well OT recently so pick it up part way through.

I’ve have a service centre visit for something else booked for a few weeks & added this on last weekend to ask them to look at at the same time.

I had a request from Tesla for some times/dates when this had occurred and then a phone call from Tesla later on the Monday saying that it was a known issue that had been introduced recently. The intrusion sensors aren’t disarmed soon enough so opening the door can trigger them.

In terms of how this slipped out it’s probably not a coincidence that the US model 3 doesn’t have the intrusion sensor

Yet again Tesla breaks something, wonder if the voice control is accurate yet since they broke it 2 years ago too, which naive staff have given claims its the accent when it worked perfectly 2 years ago.

I’ve have a service centre visit for something else booked for a few weeks & added this on last weekend to ask them to look at at the same time.

I had a request from Tesla for some times/dates when this had occurred and then a phone call from Tesla later on the Monday saying that it was a known issue that had been introduced recently. The intrusion sensors aren’t disarmed soon enough so opening the door can trigger them.

In terms of how this slipped out it’s probably not a coincidence that the US model 3 doesn’t have the intrusion sensor

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, that doesn’t push it too far down the list of things to fix.

Same issue here, mobile service appointment booked for 12th Aug but I suspect the issue is SW. They asked me for the times when it's happened via a message on the app, so I've been replying every time it has happened, which is about twice per day.

Reactions: Adopado
My Model 3 has developed an annoying fault in that the alarm sounds briefly when I unlock it (Android phone) and open the door after it has been asleep for several hours. Not good for my neighbours at 7 am. A reset doesn’t help. Anyone else have this problem?

Is yours a USA manufactured car? (I have the issue too since 2022.20.7) Worth reporting it for service via the app as this brings it to the attention of Tesla as an important issue to resolve. (You won't actually need to go into a Service Centre as the appointment will be cancelled.)

Reactions: MadScientist
Thank god i found this thread.... this has been bugging me for a while... it first started as 1 alarm beep on opening and it was infrequent, now its 3/4/ or 5 loud beeps whenever i open the door from it being locked.

Not a good thing when i leave the house early!

Hopefully a SW update very soon to rectify.

Thank god i found this thread.... this has been bugging me for a while... it first started as 1 alarm beep on opening and it was infrequent, now its 3/4/ or 5 loud beeps whenever i open the door from it being locked.

Not a good thing when i leave the house early!

Hopefully a SW update very soon to rectify.
As a temporary solution; when you open the car press the handle in, wait until you hear the click of the main breaker engaging before you pull the door open - it will avoid upsetting the neighbours in the morning :)

As a temporary solution; when you open the car press the handle in, wait until you hear the click of the main breaker engaging before you pull the door open - it will avoid upsetting the neighbours in the morning :)
Or use a keycard to open. Or unlock the car with the app as you walk towards it. But just pausing for approx 1.5 seconds after you hear the door unlatch is sufficient before fully opening the door.

Reactions: init6
Or use a keycard to open. Or unlock the car with the app as you walk towards it. But just pausing for approx 1.5 seconds after you hear the door unlatch is sufficient before fully opening the door.
It shouldn't be up to users to find workarounds when Tesla have degraded the car's functionality via one of their updates! They have closed my service request now, but I have asked them to prioritise the firmware update to rectify this

It shouldn't be up to users to find workarounds when Tesla have degraded the car's functionality via one of their updates! They have closed my service request now, but I have asked them to prioritise the firmware update to rectify this
I completely agree. I was just pointing out how people could minimise the problem meantime ... it appears that many people don't know. I am as keen as everyone else that this gets sorted out ASAP. I am sure we are all making similar representations via our service requests.

I've found since lingering by the door for literally 2 seconds before opening hasn't caused the alarm, it's not scientific as it's based on a sample of about 4 occasions but might be worth trying. Maybe it's just a variation on a theme, either way, it's less hassle than the key card or opening a different door.

I 100% agree we shouldn't need to, but we are where we are.

Reactions: Adopado
For anyone who has this problem:

The alarm can be triggered by loud environmental noise such as loud cars and thunderstorms.
It can even be triggered by the car’s climate control fans if you’ve turned on the Pre-conditioning feature.
If those things aren't the problem try rebooting the car by stepping on the brakes while holding both scroll buttons on the steering until the screen goes dark. Some Model 3 owners have reported that their alarm can be falsely triggered by the door handles when they don’t immediately retract back into the closed position. If your car's door handles have a tendency to get stuck, try lubricating them with some WD40. Try all of these common fixes before going to get your car serviced :)

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone who has this problem:

The alarm can be triggered by loud environmental noise such as loud cars and thunderstorms.
It can even be triggered by the car’s climate control fans if you’ve turned on the Pre-conditioning feature.
If those things aren't the problem try rebooting the car by stepping on the brakes while holding both scroll buttons on the steering until the screen goes dark. Some Model 3 owners have reported that their alarm can be falsely triggered by the door handles when they don’t immediately retract back into the closed position. If your car's door handles have a tendency to get stuck, try lubricating them with some WD40. Try all of these common fixes before going to get your car serviced :)

In this specific instance we already know what the problem is ... and Tesla has already acknowledged this with several UK owners (one of them being me). The issue is related to recent software 2022.20.7 and will be resolved with a future update. The issue being discussed is not a full alarm but it does trigger up to 5 piercing alarm beeps if the car is asleep and the front door is opened just using the phone proximity "key".