Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alarm set off by a different remote

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has happened twice now, I have two model s cars, when I went to unplug one of the cars the alarm on the other went off (that car was not plugged in/charging). The sequence was ‘unlock using the fob’, then pressing the charge release button on the handle. Anyone had this problem? The other car was locked and the remote was out of range of the car.

This has happened twice now, I have two model s cars, when I went to unplug one of the cars the alarm on the other went off (that car was not plugged in/charging). The sequence was ‘unlock using the fob’, then pressing the charge release button on the handle. Anyone had this problem? The other car was locked and the remote was out of range of the car.
Does the Car-2 alarm go off at the moment you unlock Car-1 using the fob, or when you press the button on the charge cable?

Have you tried pressing the button on the charge cable without unlocking Car-1 first to see if the Car-2 alarm goes off?

Have you tried not having the cable plugged into Car-1, but still going through the same sequence (unlock Car-1, press charge cable button, Car-2 alarm goes off)?

Your title says that Car-1 fob set-off Car-2 alarm, but I'm trying to see if it has more to do with the charge cable button being pressed, based on your detailed description.

Thanks for the replies..
murphyS90D - That's sound like a reasonable explanation but I haven't experienced this at a dealership where there are cars charging and cars next to them locked and not charging..... if this was the case dealers would get this issue all the time, and potentially charging location too..... so it makes this a bit more interesting...

JohnnyG - Great questions, this has happened twice in the morning at 5:00am so I didn't get the opportunity to experiment, but it does feel like it's when I unplug the car, as I opened the boot first on one occasion and unlocked the ca first..... I will experiment a bit more at a reasonable time. This happens only when I unplug the car, plugging in I've never experienced it.

If this was common I would expect places like the Tesla dealer as Heathrow to have found this issue.... I need to find the answer/solution as the alarm going off 5:00am isn't a great thing :)

Thanks for the replies..
murphyS90D - That's sound like a reasonable explanation but I haven't experienced this at a dealership where there are cars charging and cars next to them locked and not charging..... if this was the case dealers would get this issue all the time, and potentially charging location too..... so it makes this a bit more interesting...

JohnnyG - Great questions, this has happened twice in the morning at 5:00am so I didn't get the opportunity to experiment, but it does feel like it's when I unplug the car, as I opened the boot first on one occasion and unlocked the ca first..... I will experiment a bit more at a reasonable time. This happens only when I unplug the car, plugging in I've never experienced it.

If this was common I would expect places like the Tesla dealer as Heathrow to have found this issue.... I need to find the answer/solution as the alarm going off 5:00am isn't a great thing :)
Oh! I just noticed that you are from the UK!! Alrighty then, I think I may know what is setting off the alarm. I'm not exactly sure what is triggering it, but I believe it may be your cabin ultrasonic sensors setting off the alarm. We don't have those here in North America (nor in some other regions either). They can be overly sensitive to "snap" or "click" sounds, at times. When in a garage, the resonating / echoing effect can amplify this. This is especially worse if a window or sunroof is left cracked open on the alarming car. It may be the sonic pulse of the relays snapping when you are disengaging the charger that is triggering the ultrasonic sensors inside the cabin. Those sensors are there to detect glass breakage and such. If the sensor is wonky, it could be triggering from the charger relay clatter.

Oh! I just noticed that you are from the UK!! Alrighty then, I think I may know what is setting off the alarm. I'm not exactly sure what is triggering it, but I believe it may be your cabin ultrasonic sensors setting off the alarm. We don't have those here in North America (nor in some other regions either). They can be overly sensitive to "snap" or "click" sounds, at times. When in a garage, the resonating / echoing effect can amplify this. This is especially worse if a window or sunroof is left cracked open on the alarming car. It may be the sonic pulse of the relays snapping when you are disengaging the charger that is triggering the ultrasonic sensors inside the cabin. Those sensors are there to detect glass breakage and such. If the sensor is wonky, it could be triggering from the charger relay clatter.

Hi JohnnyG, it’s car number 2 that goes off when I am unplugging car number 1, they are both outside and about 3 meters away from each other....it’s very strange as I am not near the car that goes off and it’s all locked, no windows open etc... It doesn’t make sense. I am sure this scenario must be seen at a Tesla Store ( hope that’s the correct term as dealership isn’t!). I am going to have a bit more of a play and see if it’s the button on the charger that opens the charge port or if it’s the remote, or both. I can’t find anyone else who’s had this issue, but it’s a real pain at 5:00am :)

Reactions: JohnnyG
So, I had a bit more of a play today and a few things I’ve noticed...
1) this has happened when the 2nd car (alarm set off) is parked with the read near the 1st car, to date it is usually parked the other way around, with the rear further away. This suggests that the charge port is the cause.
2) the 2nd car charge port will open even when fully locked and you press the button on the charge plug, which I believe is normal. The cars in the Tesla stores must do this all the time!

I am guessing the opening of the charge port on the 2nd car sometimes sets the car off? I guess most people are opening the port with the car unlocked, ie just got out of the car. I will try a few more times as I haven’t managed to set the alarm off when testing, it only happens at 5:00am :)

I think UK cars have a motion alarm. US cars do not have that. What if the shock of the charge door opening is sometimes being detected by the motion sensor which sets off the alarm.

Yes, I think that may be what is happening, I can’t replicate the alarm going off by doing this on purpose but I think an open then auto close of the port may be enough to set it off on the odd occasion.

Thanks everyone for the comments , the combination of feedback is getting me close to the problem/solution.

Sometimes I Supercharge at my local SC and noticed a few years ago charge ports doors open all over the place of cars either done with service or loaners(dozens) or new cars behind the fence. Those cars are locked for sure.

SO now even just for fun I hold the charge cord in the air, hit the button and they all open and light up on command(its good for a few laughs) I am easily amused. Never has the alarm on those cars gone off though. If they did, that would be not funny real quick and noisy.

Sometimes I Supercharge at my local SC and noticed a few years ago charge ports doors open all over the place of cars either done with service or loaners(dozens) or new cars behind the fence. Those cars are locked for sure.

SO now even just for fun I hold the charge cord in the air, hit the button and they all open and light up on command(its good for a few laughs) I am easily amused. Never has the alarm on those cars gone off though. If they did, that would be not funny real quick and noisy.

Ah, so that may have debunked my theory then! Car no 2 aka the wife is out of town this weekend so I cant investigate further until it’s back.

US cars do not have motion detection alarm systems. UK cars, the subject of the discussion, do have motion detection alarm systems.

US cars do not have motion detection alarm systems. UK cars, the subject of the discussion, do have motion detection alarm systems.

That is so little motion if any I doubt motion has anything to do with this issue. Its also so little noise.