Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alarm went off when in car!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife took out our TM3 with our baby in the back seat. The baby fell asleep and then my wife pulled over, parked, locked the door, turned off her phone and had a nap as well. When the baby woke, she opened the car door and the alarm went off! It was so loud we are concerned that it damaged the baby’s hearing! I realize turning off the phone - disconnected it from the car - but the software should have known there was someone in the car when it was locked from inside and someone was also sitting in the front seat. I’m my view this is a bug.

What is the best way to report this?
If the baby can open the rear door, why don't you just turn on the child locks so he/she can't, then the alarm couldn't go off. Or, turn off the alarm, you are in the car so the alarm really isn't necessary.

I believe all you need to do is find some old keys and rub it all over in a continuous motion

My wife took out our TM3 with our baby in the back seat. The baby fell asleep and then my wife pulled over, parked, locked the door, turned off her phone and had a nap as well. When the baby woke, she opened the car door and the alarm went off! It was so loud we are concerned that it damaged the baby’s hearing! I realize turning off the phone - disconnected it from the car - but the software should have known there was someone in the car when it was locked from inside and someone was also sitting in the front seat. I’m my view this is a bug.

Having the car sense somebody is still in can be problematic. Imagine having something heavy in the passenger seat and the car still thinks someone is in there. It may never lock when walking away. I like the current logic. No key, lock the car.
The seat sensors are not very smart so I do not believe they get checked when locking the car. Every day when I drive my son to school he puts his school bag on the back seat and during the drive the car notifies me that that seat does not have a seatbelt on. So it knows there is a weight on that seat without seatbelt on, but it does not know that the bag is not a person and does not need a seatbelt. Once they start using the internal camera, they may teach the car controls to detect human presence as opposed to inanimate objects, but until then it acts just like any other car with alarm.

No, it’s not unique to the Tesla. I locked my elderly, demented mother in our Prius to pick up a take out order. In the 3 minutes I was inside with my eye on her in the car, the alarm started! At least it wasn’t terribly loud for her, it was disturbing to us both. Prius is gone, mother isn’t. I will keep this in mind if I must repeat the process.

At least with the Tesla, there are solutions. I don’t think there was in the Prius situation.

My point is that there is data available to change the behaviour of the alarm and prevent this. So why not.
Your phone or keycard or key fob
Is your credential for being in the car
Credentials Thrown out the window, destroyed, or turned off, and the car was just doing its job.
Making it idiot proof in anticipation of a new and improved idiot.
Like a dad who leaves his 3 yr old or pet to play with the pedals as he runs in to the store.
Locking and unlocking is the privilege of those with the credentials, safety first

the first few weeks of owning a M3, this happened to me, but in a different way. i was at work and went outside to talk on the phone. walking and talking, i opened up passenger side and got in. the car immediately picked up the bluetooth speakerphone so i turned off BT on my phone. finished my phone call and opened the door to get out, car alarm went off, stereo blasting at 11, my corkers came out to see what was going on.

All kinds of ridiculous in this one.

Your wife took the ‘baby’ out of their car seat or unbuckled them? Either way - just leave the kid buckled and problem solved. ‘Bug’ averted.

If their legs are long enough to open the door then they are forward-facing and hardly a baby and should understand some basic instructions.

Or you could use the feature that cars have had for decades....child locks

So, it's better that your child gets out of the car and you continue to sleep?

... after reading all the above, I see no one has hit on the Low Tech solution that can done with every Tesla.

The answer is very simple.

Turn off Sentry Mode and then Alarm Mode after you stop and before you start your Nap.

A quick and painless fix, and something takes about 5 seconds to do at the start of your Nap and about 5 seconds to undo After you start the car at the completion of your Nap. Do start the car 1st, to let it know you are there, before you reactivate Alarm, then Sentry Mode.

I do this when ever I leave passengers in the car whilst I visit an ATM or do other quick out and back, drop off, pick up chores.

With other cars, it has been my experience that there are two ways to stop the car alarm from screaming if you stop for a Nap.

One... leave the key in the ignition works for some.

Two... putting the car into Valet mode whilst you have your Nap is another.

There is No need to invest in fancy detector upgrades if one is willing to do preventive thinking and solve a problem before it starts.

Food for thought,
Cheers, Hugh-SG

You can enter a bug report by pushiing the microphone icon on the screen then say "Bug Report" and describe the situation. When you finish it will thank you for the feedback. Very convenient for problems while driving.

My wife did this last night. I had to inside early, and she wanted to wait in the car and follow me later. I didn't worry because I "knew" she had her phone with her and didn't think to warn her. It was a concert, so she wanted to silence her phone, and turned on Airplane mode...so when she opened the door the "Frankenstein" music blasted her, and she had no clue how to turn it off. Unfortunately, the things that the Tesla does "automatically" simply do not make sense to her, no matter how many times I explain. I may have to buy her a fob to make her happy, but I really hate to spend that much on it.

My wife did this last night. I had to inside early, and she wanted to wait in the car and follow me later. I didn't worry because I "knew" she had her phone with her and didn't think to warn her. It was a concert, so she wanted to silence her phone, and turned on Airplane mode...so when she opened the door the "Frankenstein" music blasted her, and she had no clue how to turn it off. Unfortunately, the things that the Tesla does "automatically" simply do not make sense to her, no matter how many times I explain. I may have to buy her a fob to make her happy, but I really hate to spend that much on it.

Similar situation here. I called the local pizza place for a pickup order. My wife and I jumped into the Tesla, drove to the store and parked in front of the store. Importantly, she left her phone at home.

With the coronavirus situation, the pizza place had a big sign in the front door with a phone number to call to let them know you’re outside waiting for your order. The phone number was too small to read from the car, so I got out to read it and make the call - about 50 feet away from the car.

As they came out to drop off my pizza, my wife opened her passenger door and the sentry alarm went off, along with the loud music blasting and the lights flashing!

I finally managed to turn off the alarm, but lesson learned:
1. Bring both phones and keep them on and connected, or
2. Turn off sentry mode/alarm system if there’s not a second linked phone.

Man that alarm system is loud!