TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Alarm

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Todd Burch, Nov 7, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

Has anyone heard anything about whether the S will have an alarm system?

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Seriously? It hardly bears asking. That would be an egregious oversight, especially since the Roadster has one.

3. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Does any car come without one these days? Even my daughter's budget Hyundai has one.

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I would hope the Alarm system sends real time video to your smart phone.

5. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

How about "What kind of alarm system will the Model S have?" :tongue:

6. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

One that sends a push notification to your iPhone when the car's being broken into! :)

7. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

We've heard that it includes the frunk. That was in the Model S feedback thread, gg reporting the response from Tesla.

8. goyogi

goyogi Member

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

That would be cool. Especially if you could tap into your camera at any given time (though again, I worry over security/privacy)

10. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

I guess the better question is: is it standard? I read that the BMW 3-series does not include an alarm standard but instead it's a $1k option.

11. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

That used to sort of be true.... It was a $400 option for a while but they caught so much flack for that decision that it is now standard.

12. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

It was an option on my 2011 335d.. And I didn't bother getting that option package.

13. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Well most of the bad feed back was in the USA so perhaps it is still optional outside the USA. Here it is standard.

14. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Seems standard on the 5 series and up but not on the 3 series (where it's indeed still $400). Just tried "Build Your Own" of a 328i and a 528i at BMW North America

Back to Tesla, I don't think this is one of those things that Tesla will nickel-and-dime on (or bundle into packages for) given that the Model S's price point is above that of a typical BMW 5.

15. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I think the question about the alarm is a valid one only because lower market vehicles offer an alarm as standard equipment. To go further, what are or will be the features of the alarm system in the Model S since it is being marketed as a luxury car?

16. Cobos

Cobos S60 Owner since 2013 - sold, S85D owner since 2017

I'd guess if Tesla wants to be clever the basic alarm is standard equipment, though if you want it to send a message to your smartphone like was mentioned THAT is an option. Most people want that and at the same time they feel they are paying for a new cool feature not being nickel and dimed. Win-win. Well except for the fact that the extra features is a small software patch, but still :)

Cobos