Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alarming clunk from rear end

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t have a ton of info on this yet and I owe this community a little more detail and effort of my part before expecting too much. That said…

I have 44k trouble-free miles on my ‘19 LR AWD - other than front control arms, which were replaced under warranty earlier this year.

I put 200 miles on the car today, and in the last 20 miles or so, I started hearing what sounded like a rubbing or squeaking noise from the rear end, only while coming to a gentle stop. It caught my attention, but was faint and not 100% certain that it was actually my car - I was behind a truck, so there was some uncertainty.

However, in the last 5 miles of my trip, I heard - and felt - a single, significant mechanical popping or clunking sound when beginning to move forward from stopped at a light. It sounded as though my hitch receiver was coming off. I immediately pulled into a parking lot to inspect, but could find nothing wrong under or around the rear end. I drove the rest of the way home (5 miles) without incident.

First thing I’ll do tomorrow is check the torque on the lugs.

Anything else I can inspect? I’m really not a “whistle past the graveyard” kind of guy.

Are you trying to fix this yourself or what? If you want to fix it yourself then lift the car and check and make sure every single bolt is still in place in the rear suspension and if any of the suspension links clunk/are loose. Then check the rear motor mounts, drive shafts, rear sway bar/links/bushings.

Hell it could even be some loose item in your trunk?

If you're gonna get it repaired then open a service request and don't drive the car, after you clear out your trunk of course to eliminate possibility that it's just some loose item in the back.